Photo
- - - - -

Something that has been overlooked that I hope Gettleman notices.

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

Dating back as far as 2004 to my memory, the Panthers seem to end the season with an exorbitant number of players on injured reserve.

2004 - 14 players
2005 - 10 players
2006 - 13 players
2007 - 12 players
2008 - 5 players
2009 - 12 players
2010 - 15 players
2011 - 18 players
2012 - 15 players

(source - Carolina Panthers Wikipedia)

Injuries are a part of the game in the NFL, that's a given. But finishing with a double digit number of players on injured reserve 8 out of the past 9 seasons is more than just bad luck. There's something wrong. Is it the training staff? Is it scouting? Is it coaching? Is it the field? Does having a black cat as a mascot mean the team is forever doomed to have bad luck?

Or is this just life in the NFL - a notoriously violent sport where every player has spent time on the injury list. How do other teams stack up against these numbers? I'd appreciate it if someone could dig up some comparative research.

Just judging by the numbers, it seems like the Panthers are one of the most chronically injured teams in the NFL over the past decade. I hope the new GM at least notices this and can try something different than what was done under Marty Hurney.

#2 rscott94

rscott94

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

Agreed... I hope we take a serious look at the medical staff. Not only is that a large number usually the same people are on the list

#3 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 17,623 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

Does having a black cat as a mascot mean the team is forever doomed to have bad luck?

Never thought of that before but thanks you ruined the mascot for me. This gonna hunt me for the rest of my time as a Panthers fan until we win one.

#4 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

I noticed that myself. Looking at how far back it goes adds a special sense of urgency though.

#5 ThunderKatt

ThunderKatt

Hello to All my Haters

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationIn yo moma

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:41 PM

Never thought of that before but thanks you ruined the mascot for me. This gonna hunt me for the rest of my time as a Panthers fan until we win one.

lol

#6 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

• HUDDLER
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

I bet if you asked Fox and Hurney theyd point you in the direction of the Saints. It was outrageous what they used to do to Delhomme.

#7 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,409 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

Some of it was just strategy. Remember there were years when we were out of playoff contention fairly early and Hurney's strategy was to IR guys with sometimes minor injuries so he could get a look at some new players.

For that reason, the numbers are a bit deceiving.

#8 Panths

Panths

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

find it interesting 2008 and 2005 were our last winning seasons and also had the least amount on IR

#9 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 19,265 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

note that the two years with the lowest rate of IRed players are 2005 and 2008, our best years in that stretch.

which begs the question: did we do well those years because we didn't lose as many guys, or did more guys go to IR that otherwise wouldn't have if we'd been vying for playoff spots?

#10 Gabeking

Gabeking

• HUDDLER
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

Look at '05 and '08, our only playoff years on the list, also the two most least injured years on it too..

#11 Munch4455

Munch4455

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

I think we actually finish up the season about on par with most teams in the NFL when it comes to IR. I think the true difference, is that it seems as though we have 1 or 2 key players end up on IR EARLY on in the season, as opposed to the inflated IR statistics that you see where people are put on IR for 2 weeks at the end of a season for a sprained ankle just to free up a roster spot.

#12 Brooklyn Bully

Brooklyn Bully

• HUDDLER
  • 8,386 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

It's just the NFL. We are not cursed, it's not because of bad this or bad that, it's not a Carolina Only thing. We just don't notice it about any other team because we don't care about other teams.

#13 Gabeking

Gabeking

• HUDDLER
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

It's just the NFL. We are not cursed, it's not because of bad this or bad that, it's not a Carolina Only thing. We just don't notice it about any other team because we don't care about other teams.

Don't be following yourself, we all know the real reason for this IR nonsense is because JR had a little fun with dr. Andrews wife... *hint hint wink wink* ;)

#14 Rubi

Rubi

Squid Smasher

• HUDDLER
  • 2,297 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:19 AM

It just means we need to find more genetic freaks

#15 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,481 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

I know from perusing the Giants staff page that he'll be coming from a team that has a medical staff of sixteen.

Don't know the exact number of people we have, but I'd guess it's less than that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.