23 replies to this topic

#1 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,831 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

There is a loophole that allows the Treasury to mint the platinum coin of any value. 1 Trillion platinum coin coming up to get around the Congress?

Posted Image

#2 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,490 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

good luck trying to get change.

#3 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

tengo baking soda

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,293 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

That would be hilarious, but I don't think it'll happen.

#4 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,653 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

Is that 1 Trillion in your pocket or are you just happy to see me.

#5 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 22,107 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

wonder what Dr.Evil thinks about this?

#6 The_Light_Brigade

The_Light_Brigade

And sink to the bottom with the submarines.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • LocationOut in God's country.

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

Doesn't assigning arbitrary values to our currency devalue it?

#7 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,770 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

Doesn't assigning arbitrary values to our currency devalue it?

Yes.

#8 BBQ&Beer

BBQ&Beer

The good actor

• HUDDLER
  • 3,965 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

wonder what Dr.Evil thinks about this?

Posted Image

#9 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

good luck trying to get change.

That's the point. It'd be like Mark Twain's short story about the bum with the Million Pound Banknote.

#10 Woodcookedbbq

Woodcookedbbq

Vinegar Based

• HUDDLER
  • 2,411 posts
  • LocationGreenville, NC

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

King Barack seems to have free reign over everything these days. So why the hell not?

#11 Brokenbad

Brokenbad

Cam is my hero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

A trillion dollar coin, seriously? This may be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

What a joke, this country is in debt to itself thanks to social security, welfare, and elderly benefits.

What the hell good is a coin going to do to pay off thy debt?

#12 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-20951417

The coin owes its widely-discussed, though still hypothetical existence to the looming deadline over the debt ceiling - which, as things stand, will prevent the US government issuing new bonds and paying bills, in about two months.

Republicans, who control the US House of Representatives, have pledged to seek spending cuts before consenting to any increase in this limit.

But opponents fear this brinksmanship could threaten the US's credit rating if the country's debt reaches or breaks through this ceiling.

These mostly centre-left critics, including Democratic Congressman Jerrold Nadler, have pointed to a loophole in US law that allows the Treasury Secretary to allocate any value he or she likes to a coin.

They say the Treasury could order the coin to be minted and then deposit it at the Federal Reserve, the US's central bank.

Effectively, the coin is an accounting trick, says Cullen Roche, who blogs about finance and economics at Pragmatic Capitalism.
Its real purpose, however, would be political - to neutralise the threat by Republicans in Congress that federal employees would not be paid, he adds.

"It's a loophole to replace something that's totally insane with something that's slightly less insane," he says.

The campaign has been taken seriously by such eminent people as Nobel prize-winning economist and New York Times columnist Paul Krugman, and Philip Diehl, the former director of the United States Mint. It has also inspired the Twitter hashtag, #MintTheCoin.
But it has attracted opposition, too. Republican Congressman Greg Walden has promised to introduce a bill to ban the government from creating high-value coins to pay its debts.

Walden said he feared the practice would be "very inflationary".

Wray disagrees. "These trillion-dollar coins are held only by the Fed," he says. "There's no increase in the money supply out there."

Supporters of the scheme also say the Federal Reserve could sell bonds, which would withdraw money from circulation.
As yet, however, no such coins exist anywhere. And even those who believe the plan is perfectly feasible concede that it is likely to remain a bargaining chip in the debt-ceiling talks, rather than becoming a reality.

"I think the president will be reluctant to do it because it undermines everyone's credibility," says Roche.
Coin collectors might be advised not to hold their breath about this new denomination turning up on eBay any time soon.

#13 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

A trillion dollar coin, seriously? This may be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

What a joke, this country is in debt to itself thanks to social security, welfare, and elderly benefits.

What the hell good is a coin going to do to pay off thy debt?

What is the money backed by?

#14 CatofWar

CatofWar

Join, or Die

• HUDDLER
  • 3,477 posts
  • LocationGitmo

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

I hope they do it.

#15 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:37 AM

i don't think he'll do it. he's perfectly willing to capitulate to republican demands as they hold the debt ceiling hostage. that being said, i hope he does; the republican tears would be delicious

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com