Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UK Doctors want to ban Kitchen Knives.

33 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[quote] [size=4][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, 'MS sans serif']A team from West Middlesex University Hospital said violent crime is on the increase - and kitchen knives are used in as many as half of all stabbings.[/font][/color][/size][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, 'MS sans serif'][size=1]
[size=4]They argued many assaults are committed impulsively, prompted by alcohol and drugs, and a kitchen knife often makes an all too available weapon.[/size][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, 'MS sans serif'][size=1]
[size=4]The research is published in the British Medical Journal.[/size][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, 'MS sans serif'][size=1]
[size=4]The researchers said there was no reason for long pointed knives to be publicly available at all.[/size][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, 'MS sans serif'][size=1]
[size=4]They consulted 10 top chefs from around the UK, and found such knives have little practical value in the kitchen.[/size][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, 'MS sans serif']None of the chefs felt such knives were essential, since the point of a short blade was just as useful when a sharp end was needed.[/font][/color][/size] [/quote]

[quote][color="#000000"] [size=4] [/size][/color][size=4][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, 'MS sans serif']Home Office spokesperson said there were already extensive restrictions in place to control the sale and possession of knives.[/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, 'MS sans serif']"The law already prohibits the possession of offensive weapons in a public place, and the possession of knives in public without good reason or lawful authority, with the exception of a folding pocket knife with a blade not exceeding three inches.[/font][/color][/size] [/quote]

:sword: :sword:

:angel:

[url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4581871.stm"]http://news.bbc.co.u...lth/4581871.stm[/url]

I hope I have fallen for some elaborate prank article...

Posted · Report post

They should be banned Kurb... everyone with a brain knows that it's the weapons that are the problem, not the people... don't you dare tell me otherwise.

Posted · Report post

Well, for the most part, regarding the necessity of a big pointed knife for cooking, it's true. Curved front knives work just as well for anything that you would use a big knife for.

IE. knives shaped like this

[img]http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/482545/482545,1253749254,1/stock-photo-chiefs-chopping-knife-with-air-pockets-37595674.jpg[/img]

instead of this:

[img]http://www.swissknifeshop.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/z/h/zh31021203.jpg[/img]

Posted · Report post

This doesn't mean that I think they should be banned, however.

Posted · Report post

I can't believe you actually just tried to defend that viewpoint with a discussion on knife aesthetics and curvature

Posted · Report post

[quote name='boostownsme' timestamp='1357831647' post='2087944']
I can't believe you actually just tried to defend that viewpoint with a discussion on knife aesthetics and curvature
[/quote]

I didn't genius. That was the reason they used, regarding their kitchen necessity. I was pointing out that it was, in fact, true - they aren't "necessary" for cooking applications.

Posted · Report post

I think our military should be the only ones who should have such advanced weaponry.
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

It's the sharpness they should regulate.

Knives are fine, but really sharp ones should obviously be banned or require extensive cooking permits.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I'll give you my knife when you pry it from my cold dead hands
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Am I to come away from this thinking we shouldn't restrict guns because one day they might try and restrict knives too?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Cat' timestamp='1357832863' post='2087969']
Am I to come away from this thinking we shouldn't restrict guns because one day they might try and restrict knives too?
[/quote]

Who said guns ? I'm not talking about Guns! Knives are slashing people across the UK!!!!!!!!

Posted · Report post

you don't need knives to make crappy English foods..a kidney pie anyone?

These doctors are on to something.