• 129 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

Panthers have options after Chudzinski

January, 10, 2013

JAN 10

10:55

PM ET

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

Although there was speculation Cam Newton would be dealing with a new head coach, that didn’t happen. But the quarterback of the Carolina Panthers will be dealing with a new offensive coordinator.

Posted ImageRob Chudzinski was reportedly hired away by the Cleveland Browns on Thursday night.

That’s good news for Chudzinski, but not necessarily good news for Newton and the Panthers. Chudzinski was the mastermind behind an offensive scheme that helped Newton set all sorts of records as a rookie. Chudzinski also got Newton back on track after he got off to a rocky start in the 2012 season.

This creates a big void, and Carolina coach Ron Rivera needs to make the right call on hiring a replacement for Chudzinski. Rivera’s future -- and the future of the Panthers -- depends on Newton continuing to grow because he is the franchise in Carolina.

But the good news is there are some attractive options out there. Former San Diego coach Norv Turner, who employed Rivera and Chudzinski with the Chargers, is available. Chudzinski’s offense contains a lot of the same principles of Turner’s offense. Rivera and Turner have a strong relationship and I don’t think Rivera would hesitate to hire Turner -- if he can land him. Turner also could be pursued by Chudzinski.

If Rivera can't get Turner, there’s another solid option already on the staff. That’s quarterbacks coach Mike Shula, who knows Chudzinski’s offense well and has been with Newton from the start. Shula previously was an offensive coordinator with Tampa Bay, where he was criticized for being too conservative.

But, if the Panthers promote Shula, I’d expect him to stick with the offense Chudzinski already put in place.

I'm sorry but I do not want to go back to the Jeff Davidson days thank you.

#2 Gabeking

Gabeking

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,451 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:31 AM

Look at the players shula had to work with

#3 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,257 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:38 AM

A Yasinskas article that doesn't mention Mike McCoy as an option?

Whoa.

#4 Swaggasaurus

Swaggasaurus

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts
  • LocationWilkesboro

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:45 AM

OP I don't see being more conservative as a negative thing. You guys like fake reverse, double screen, pick 6's or something?

#5 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,245 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:47 AM

Cam got off to a rocky start this year BECAUSE of Chud. That triple option garbage he was trying to run early on was pure bullshit.

#6 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 16,262 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:48 AM

Shula's offenses with the Bucs finished around 30th place, then immediately after he was fired shot up to 6th place.

The guy plain sucks.

#7 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,176 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:51 AM

i see using nonaggressive, predictable, ball control offense a bad thing, esp. in the NFC and when you've got to play atl and the saints. youve got to put up a poo ton of points.

#8 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 16,262 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:53 AM

The notion that despite calling bland conservative plays at every job he's had in the past, he somehow will call Chud's system just because he was a QB coach here is completely absurd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com