• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#31 PantherTrain84

PantherTrain84

• TROLLOLOL
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

So in translation... "With the 1st pick in the 2014 NFL draft, the Carolina Panthers select..."

#32 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,046 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

I personally would have fired Chud and hired Norv the moment the season ended anyways... who wants an OC that has to be babysat by the HC?

#33 Stroupe-a-loop

Stroupe-a-loop

Señor Member

• HUDDLER
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

Yeah but there's never enough good info on our cap situation this time of year.

Some say we were $6Mil under this years cap and we can carry that over to next year. That would leave us at $10Mil over and then you cut a few restructure a few and we'll end up $10-$15Mil under at some point, just like this year. Even the reporters disagree on salary cap numbers at times.

But even my argument is flawed because, again, we don't have good info right now. I have faith that we'll be fine salary cap wise

Also there are always ridiculous built in contract escalators that don't trigger, and lower some guys cap numbers the next year. I think one time a fifth string receiver had a "Win the Super Bowl MVP" escalator that he didn't hit, and it lowered his cap figure the following year.

Most people don't know about those clauses because you would have to have a copy of the contract to read that stuff. . . which the media doensn't. So I'm always wary of cap projections because people are working with fuzzy information.

#34 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,549 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

Yeah but there's never enough good info on our cap situation this time of year.

Some say we were $6Mil under this years cap and we can carry that over to next year. That would leave us at $10Mil over and then you cut a few restructure a few and we'll end up $10-$15Mil under at some point, just like this year. Even the reporters disagree on salary cap numbers at times.

But even my argument is flawed because, again, we don't have good info right now. I have faith that we'll be fine salary cap wise

And we will pick from the scrap heap of Free Agency.

#35 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,656 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

Can someone explain to me why JR is giving Rivera an unproven coach so much control??? He killed foxy but not Rivera.

Rivera took control after Hurney was fired. Now he's cutting guys without Gettleman's opinion. I'm sick of it.

who is he cutting without Genttleman's opinion? His staff? HC builds his staff....Hurney made the right call letting Rivera bring in Chud. You don't hire a HC and then have a GM appoint who his staff is....Gantt is off base there. His opinion on RR awhile back slants all his writing now.

#36 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,656 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

So in translation... "With the 1st pick in the 2014 NFL draft, the Carolina Panthers select..."

lol...not with Cam Newton and Luke Kuechly on this team.

#37 Pimpdaddy

Pimpdaddy

takin it as it comes

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

From his last couple posts slamming managment and the team, I'm guessin Gannt is carrying around a wee bit of anger from the whole "being assigned to cover Winthrop University" thing.

...Rozinski syndrome...

#38 cultclassiccat

cultclassiccat

flash

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • LocationG spot

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

... trust Gettleman...

*crickets*

#39 TruCatzFan

TruCatzFan

Phil 4:13

• HUDDLER
  • 6,470 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

Gantt's opinion on this subject is no better than the biggest idiot's opinion on this board. He's no expert when it comes to NFL management. He's a Reporter, he's supposed to gather FACTS and relay them to the public. The moment he puts his own spin or opinion on things is the moment that I stop listening. He's got the right to his opinion, but he's not an expert... He's a reporter, and people need to remember that.

#40 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 8,290 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

It is clear that JR has no idea how to run an NFL franchise.

Err...a winning NFL franchise that is. He's good at taking money though.

#41 Guest_Tom Cat_*

Guest_Tom Cat_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

I like Gantt quite a bit but he has been particularly uh.. strident? bitchy? regarding the Panthers lately.

Thats what happens when you have the sort of train wreck we do.

I certainly hope Rivera has some sort of contingency plan for this - and I can't believe JR didnt see it coming either. Maybe both of them did see chud being hired away and thats why Chud didnt get fired. Who knows except those two and as tight lipped as this organisation is we will probably never find out.

#42 Fan01

Fan01

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

Fans assumtions and statments of fact (which are usually opinions) are what really numbs my brain. Fans then come to a conclusion based on incorrect or skewed information. It's like someone saying 5+5=10 but I'm not sure one of those numbers is 5.

For example, Rivera is not a lame duck coach. He could very easily be here 10 years and win 3 Superbowls.

People want to talks about how important continutiy is and then complain we didn't fire Ron and start completely over. Chud suck. We're doomed now that Chud's gone. Jesus, I've never seen so many chicken little, the sky is falling, change your mind depending on what worked last week fans in my life.

#43 Ken

Ken

Triple Threat

• HUDDLER
  • 3,467 posts
  • Locationnyc

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

I love how every year we're in "salary cap hell", then we make a few moves and have plenty of cap room and everyone's like "oh I knew we'd be ok"

No, we weren't "ok", we were just postponing the issue till next year, where it would only get worse. Now after a couple of years its at a point where guys like Gamble will be cut. Not to mention picking from the scrap heap in the FA market.(Nakamura)

Think of like fixing a busted pipe with tape. Yeah it stops the leak now but it is coming back to bite you later.

#44 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,872 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

Gannt can go F himself and write about someone else's franchise.

#45 Icege

Icege

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

Once, just once, I'd like for Gantt to write an article without being paranoid that folks would call him a homer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com