Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CatofWar

The Right to Shoot Tyrants, Not Deer

I really don't think you are correct about the details of this treaty at all - it sounds from everything that I am reading that it is basically making an international register of internationally traded arms, which seems like a very good idea to help cut down on illicit drug trafficking.

when all this popped up a few months ago or whenever it was i did hours of research digging up every article i could find on the alleged UN gun ban, because my facebook was exploding with every manner of outrage and indignance and i wanted to see if there was anything to it. all i could find was that international arms sales would be regulated by way of registries, with domestic sales never addressed.

i tried to be incredulous but then i realized the people on my facebook posting this stuff are literally (LITERALLY literally) convinced that obama is communist hitler bent on the destruction of the free world. the contortions people put themselves through to validate massive confirmation biases are truly fascinating.

I am probably going to regret asking this, but why on earth would China give a crap if we disarmed our citizenry?

It isn't country boys with shotguns and ar15's that keep the chinese from invading, its the several thousand nukes along with our complete control of the seas. And of course, we are the biggest market for the crap they manufacture.

If by Sunfire, you mean the SSN-22 (Nato Code Name Sunburn), its a fairly old missile, although they might have upgraded it. But its not some new weapon that is going to change the nature of Naval Warfare, its just an antiship cruise missile, much like the Harpoon.

Btw, don't be to impressed with the speed of a antiship missile. Coming in faster tends to make a missile less accurate. The best antiship missiles tend to be subsonic, with a smaller radar signature, and a greater ability to manuver. That is why after the SSN 22, the russians developed the SSN-25, which is closer in design and ability to the Harpoon. Our navy people jokingly called it the Harpoonski. But its more of a threat to our ships than the Sunburn/Sunfire.

But what has that got do with the Chinese wanting us to ban country boys having guns? Red Dawn aside, the Chinese aren't really a threat to invade the West Coast, even if war broke out. They are a regional navy, with one experimental carrier, and not enough of a logistical infrastructure to operate a large fleet more than a few hundred miles from their own coast.