Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Have Less Faith In Rivera After Today

147 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Personally, seeing these teams play make me feel Rivera will never have our team playing like that

That San Fran game just made me depressed again

If I'm proven wrong, then I'm wrong, I'll eat crew wateva... but at the moment I just don't see it
4 people like this

Posted · Report post

My faith in RR has been zero since Atlanta.
8 people like this

Posted · Report post

did you not watch the last four games of the season? Hell, any game in that matter this year. Minus the giants and broncos game, we were in every single game down the wire. Most of them were ugly, but it's because we fought and made it that way. Just keep in mind the 49ers magic didnt just happen magically. They were like us (shatty) for years until last year when things clicked for them
3 people like this

Posted · Report post

Yeah, here is how I look at the Rivera situation.

He came in like a new relationship. We had a great former relationship (Fox) that started strong and then just went horribly wrong. So, we got out of that one and found Rivera. We were excited, and even forgave his first season mistakes. We assured ourselves that he'd do better. Then he cheated on us. Then he lied to us. Then he cheated again. And here we sit...trying to figure out whether we can trust him anymore. We know we deserve better, but at the same time, we want to believe he can be better. So we stay. Now it's go time. He has to put up or shut up. If he drops the ball again, if he lies or cheats again, we have to dump him and find love elsewhere.
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Lilsmitty09' timestamp='1358064032' post='2094048']
did you not watch the last four games of the season? Hell, any game in that matter this year. Minus the giants and broncos game, we were in every single game down the wire. Most of them were ugly, but it's because we fought and made it that way. Just keep in mind the 49ers magic didnt just happen magically. They were like us (shatty) for years until last year when things clicked for them
[/quote]

I would say all but MAYBE two of those close losses were a product of poor clock management/coaching decisions down the stretch towards the end of the game. Having us "in" games isn't enough. He HAS to help us get the wins. Nobody cares how good of a loser you are. Sure, it gives me hope that he IS the guy for the job (and I REALLY want him to be, honestly), but this is a cutthroat business. You either deliver a consistently winning product or we need to go in another direction. We don't have the MOST talent, but we do have a good deal of talent and that talent is in pretty good places (QB, LB, DE, RB).

EDIT: I am excited that we kept Rivera. I think that IS the right call. Our games in the second half of the season and the close losses were enough to make me feel good about it. But this is his last chance for me. If we aren't at least in the wild card position next season, he needs to go.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I have zero faith in this fanbase.
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Jesus Christ, people, Rivera had four good players on defense. I wonder how he would do with Goldson, Bowman, Willis, Aldon Smith, Justin Smith, Whitner, Brooks and Rogers. We were playing James Dockery for crying out loud.

And Greg Roman didn't spend half his season trying to land a coaching gig like Chud.
3 people like this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='lightsout' timestamp='1358064408' post='2094053']

I would say all but MAYBE two of those close losses were a product of poor clock management/coaching decisions down the stretch towards the end of the game. Having us "in" games isn't enough. He HAS to help us get the wins. Nobody cares how good of a loser you are. Sure, it gives me hope that he IS the guy for the job (and I REALLY want him to be, honestly), but this is a cutthroat business. You either deliver a consistently winning product or we need to go in another direction. We don't have the MOST talent, but we do have a good deal of talent and that talent is in pretty good places (QB, LB, DE, RB).

EDIT: I am excited that we kept Rivera. I think that IS the right call. Our games in the second half of the season and the close losses were enough to make me feel good about it. But this is his last chance for me. If we aren't at least in the wild card position next season, he needs to go.
[/quote]

Clock management? Does no one remember that Harbaugh didn't know games could end in a tie? And therefore tied and then lost the shitty Rams!

Posted · Report post

We don't have near the complete rosters those teams have. Can't put it all on Rivera.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='fieryprophet' timestamp='1358064713' post='2094058']
Clock management? Does no one remember that Harbaugh didn't know games could end in a tie? And therefore tied and then lost the shitty Rams!
[/quote]

And we lost to KC, what's your point? There are at least 2 drives that I can recall off the top of my head where we could have had a chance at at least a field goal before the half, or maybe chewed some clock when we needed to, and we didn't. That falls directly on coaching. That cost us at least a couple of wins, and to ignore that is silly.

I am not calling for Rivera's head. Not right now, anyway. I was during the season due to frustration, sure, but right now, looking at it all and trying to remain reasonable, Rivera staying is the right call, and if he doesn't get it right, we need to explore options elsewhere. We have young talent on this team. We don't have the luxury of wasting excessive years with inept coaching in key situations. I'm a little gun shy to say, "well, we finished on FIRE, so the likelihood of us continuing that going into next season is high" due to the fact that we said that after the 2011 season. We start out the season (first 8 games) under .500, and I think we need to start REALLY looking at options.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Rivera had two offseasons to draft guys or get them fom FA when they were available. And they were available. I know if RR wanted someone JR would find a way to go get him. Injuries aren't and excuse, division isn't an excuse. Too many excuses from you guys. Watch these other teams they play on a whole different level than 80% of our team.

I agree I don't see it either. I did not want RR to stay but at the same time he has a new GM and new OC, if the problems we have been having persist, it is clear the chageable factor is Ron. I accept the Panthers gave him one more year to find out, I hope he can pull it off.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Lilsmitty09' timestamp='1358064032' post='2094048']
Just keep in mind the 49ers magic didnt just happen magically. They were like us (shatty) for years until last year when things clicked for them
[/quote]

it's called Jim Harbaugh. That's what clicked.....a good coach...

Harbaugh...RR is not.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Lumps' timestamp='1358073535' post='2094081']
Too many excuses....
[/quote]
Three words that pretty much sum up the Rivera experience.
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

What would make you have any faith in him before now?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Not-Awesomeness' timestamp='1358063947' post='2094046']
My faith in RR has been zero since Atlanta.
[/quote]

That was the start of it but it was cemented after the KC game. I want him gone in the worst way. Good teams dont lose to the worst teams in the league. Esp Freaking KC.

Posted · Report post

its amazing the excuses made for rivera losing and harbaugh winning that get thrown around.

boils down to one guys knows what he's doing and the other is learning (i hope) and one guy having balls and the other doesn't.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

San Francisco was loaded on defense and the oline Harbaugh got there. He just had to get some receivers in there and decent QB play. Lets not act like he did it with the Jaguars. If you give us San frans oline and defensive players with Cam we win 10 games minimum even with bad clock management.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Ivan The Awesome' timestamp='1358064420' post='2094054']
I have zero faith in this fanbase.
[/quote]

This. What's even more funny about all the Rivera haters is that as soon as we start winning with him they will be singing his praises. Smh
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Why would you have faith in a coach that has not produced?

I recommend only having faith in those that have been successful.
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='ickmule' timestamp='1358085544' post='2094143']
This. What's even more funny about all the Rivera haters is that as soon as we start winning with him they will be singing his praises. Smh
[/quote]

Wait, so you mean he has to accomplish something to deserve praise?

Weird!

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Zod' timestamp='1358086072' post='2094148']

Wait, so you mean he has to accomplish something to deserve praise?

Weird!
[/quote]

No, what's weird is they hate him now and can't wait for him to be fired, but as soon as he starts winning they'll flip flop and day he is great. I'm more willing to let hi 3rd year get started before I want to throw him out. Next year we win 10 and make the playoffs.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='ickmule' timestamp='1358086507' post='2094156']
No, what's weird is they hate him now and can't wait for him to be fired, but as soon as he starts winning they'll flip flop and day he is great. I'm more willing to let hi 3rd year get started before I want to throw him out. Next year we win 10 and make the playoffs.
[/quote]

So you are saying when he is losing we don't like him but if he starts winning we will like him?

Have you submitted this theory to the national psychology board for peer review?
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Harbaugh walked into a situation with great lines, a good running game, and a couple of fine defensive players.

He had a mediocre to average QB in Smith and average WRs in turns of NFL production.

He took a chance on Colin. He wanted a Cam clone and he worked out for him.

Rivera walked into a team, inspite what a lot of people like to think here, that just does not have that type of talent on the lines.

Great lines do wonderful things for football teams.

This free agency period and draft will tell us a great deal about Rivera and Gettleman. Do I see Rivera ever being in the NFC Championship game, sadly no. I hope I'm wrong.

Do I think Cam can ever have the type of evening Colin had, I don't know, I hope so.

Posted · Report post

I'll be a Rivera nut-hugger if he gets me a playoff game.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='raleigh-panther' timestamp='1358089035' post='2094176']
Harbaugh walked into a situation with great lines, a good running game, and a couple of fine defensive players.

He had a mediocre to average QB in Smith and average WRs in turns of NFL production.

He took a chance on Colin. He wanted a Cam clone and he worked out for him.

Rivera walked into a team, inspite what a lot of people like to think here, that just does not have that type of talent on the lines.

Great lines do wonderful things for football teams.

This free agency period and draft will tell us a great deal about Rivera and Gettleman. Do I see Rivera ever being in the NFC Championship game, sadly no. I hope I'm wrong.

Do I think Cam can ever have the type of evening Colin had, I don't know, I hope so.
[/quote]
From Singletary's last year (2010) to this year, Harbaugh has replaced three offensive linemen while turning the other two into pro-bowlers. He's replaced four of his front seven on defense (moving one of the keepers from NT to DE), and he's replaced three of his four starting DBs. That's a change 8 of 11 defensive positions. On offense, he kept Gore, and managed to turn Smith and Crabtree into productive NFL starters. Now he has his QB under center and the offense looks like the NFL's best. At this point on offense, he's changed the starters at 6 of 11 positions.

In short, in his two years there Harbaugh has pretty much overhauled the entire team and raised the level of play across the board. And he's done it while winning and winning big both years.

What's Rivera done again? If I recall correctly, he cut Otah, replaced Martin with Nakamura, and signed a bunch of ex-Chargers.

But again, the reason Harbaugh has done well is because he walked into a situation where he had a ready-made team, and I'm sure everyone here believes that if Rivera had gone to SF instead of Carolina, he would have had the same results.

Do I understand your position correctly? Just want to be sure...
4 people like this