Photo
- - - - -

all great qbs had great coaches

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 BigSyke

BigSyke

I Know you Watching me but I'm watching you too Playa...

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

buy or sell.

#2 raleigh-panther

raleigh-panther

• HUDDLER
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

They also typically have good to great offensive lines.

#3 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,588 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

It is the chicken or the egg argument. A great QB can make an average coach look great. A great coach can make an average QB look great.

#4 NanceUSMC

NanceUSMC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

All great QB's made their coaches look great... Not all great QBs had great coaches...

#5 Sapper

Sapper

Healthy Scratch

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,014 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

It is the chicken or the egg argument. A great QB can make an average coach look great. A great coach can make an average QB look great.

This, with an occasional anomaly. Fox/The Golden Calf of Bristol last year being the most recent.

#6 Panthercougar68

Panthercougar68

The Nice

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

First thing that pops in my mind when thinking of this is Manning/Caldwell. Of course you have the other side argument of Manning/Dungy.

As teeray said, chicken and egg argument.

#7 nctarheel0619

nctarheel0619

• HUDDLER
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

Yeah, a great QB can make a mediocre head coach look amazing.

#8 Mother Grabber

Mother Grabber

Gettlemagic 2.0

• HUDDLER
  • 13,684 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

Belicheat became a genius when he got Brady. How many championships do you think he would have won with Kevin Kolb or Brady Quinn?

#9 Salvo

Salvo

BEWB

• ALL-PRO
  • 901 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

A great QB/coach combo certainly makes things easier. But it is not the end all be all. Solid defense and line play can certainly make up for a mediocre QB or coach.

i.e.: Ravens with Dilfer and Billick, Bucs with Gruden and Brad Johnson...Steelers with Roethlisberger?

With the game changing so much now, a great QB is likely more needed than a great coach, though. As long as that coach is competent.

#10 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,103 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

The one constant with very few exceptions for any winning NFL team is the QB. Teams that won it all with average QBs (Tampa Bay, Baltimore) just got hot and lucky.

Yes, they need lines and WRs,but a good QB makes everyone better, including the coach.

Was Jim Caldwell a good coach when the Colts nearly went undefeated? How good is Tomlin without Rothelesberger? Is Coughlin a difference maker when Manning is not on his game? I wonder if Bill Bellichek (sp?) would have ever been more than average if he did not have Brady. He was not great with Bledsoe.

Harbaugh may be the exception to this rule, but he knows to develop the QB you have.

#11 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,302 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

i more believe they didn't have coaches that got in their way or that knew how how to make it easy for them to do what they do.

#12 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,969 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

Sell....all great coaches had great talent.

You swap the NE HC and the Jags HC this year.....NE is still in the playoffs and the Jags still suck giant balls

#13 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

Hall of fame coach Joe Gibbs never had a great qb. A lot of people would say that Parcells never had a great qb.

Of course, both of those guys did their best work before the salary cap was adopted.

#14 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,585 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Hall of fame coach Joe Gibbs never had a great qb. A lot of people would say that Parcells never had a great qb.

Of course, both of those guys did their best work before the salary cap was adopted.

And they also coached a game where defense and the run game ruled and the rules to pass the ball weren't in yet. You needed a game manager no Brady to win it all

#15 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

Brady has not won a superbowl since people started calling him the GOAT. When they were winning the first two you might as well had called him a game manager. Belichek was still a great coach, though, IOT beat the teams they did when they did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com