Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This is crazy! (Jason Taylor on NFL player injuries)

32 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Interview by Dan Le Batard with Jason Taylor and some of the poo he went through just to play on Sundays and some of the injuries he had, including nearly having to have his leg amputated.

My personal opinion on this is that the NFL needs to continue to do more to protect players especially in the field of equipment technology, but I also think that this is the choice you make, and the sacrifice you make when you decide to play football professionally.

[url="http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/13/v-fullstory/3179926/dan-le-batard-jason-taylors-pain.html"]http://www.miamihera...ylors-pain.html[/url]

[quote]The trainer rushed to Taylor’s house. Taylor thought he was overreacting. The trainer told him they were immediately going to the hospital. A test kit came out. Taylor’s blood pressure was so high that the doctors thought the test kit was faulty. Another test. Same crazy numbers. Doctors demanded immediate surgery. Taylor said absolutely not, that he wanted to call his wife and his agent and the famed Dr. James Andrews for a second opinion. Andrews also recommended surgery, and fast. Taylor said, fine, he’d fly out in owner Daniel Snyder’s private jet in the morning. Andrews said that was fine but that he’d have to cut off Taylor’s leg upon arrival. Taylor thought he was joking. Andrews wasn’t. Compartment syndrome. Muscle bleeds into the cavity, causing nerve damage. Two more hours, and Taylor would have had one fewer leg. Fans later sent him supportive notes about their own compartment syndrome, many of them in wheelchairs.
[color=#000000][left]
Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/13/v-fullstory/3179926/dan-le-batard-jason-taylors-pain.html#storylink=cpy[/left][/color]
[/quote]

[quote]He developed a staph infection that required that catheter to run from armpit to heart with antibiotics. He’d hook himself up to it for a half-hour a day, like a car getting gas, letting the balls of medicine roll into his body. Then he concealed the catheter in tape under his arm so that an opponent wouldn’t know he was weak. Opponents will find your weakness, At the bottom of a fumble pile, a Buffalo Bills player once squeezed the hell out of Taylor’s Adam’s Apple to try and dislodge the football. Anything you read about the PICC line catheter (peripherally inserted central catheter) Taylor used will tell you to avoid swimming or weightlifting or anything that might get it dirty or sweaty. Taylor was playing with it in for weeks while colliding in the most violent of contact sports. Doctors told him it wasn’t a good idea to play with it in. He ignored them.
[left]
Read more here: [url="http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/13/v-fullstory/3179926/dan-le-batard-jason-taylors-pain.html#storylink=cpy"]http://www.miamihera...l#storylink=cpy[/url][/left]

[/quote]
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

he was gonna play with an amputated leg?

Posted · Report post

A one legged Jason Taylor would have still been a better option at Kicker than Olindo Mare
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

One legged Jason Taylor>Everett Brown

Posted · Report post

[quote name='panthers04100' timestamp='1358173403' post='2096014']
he was gonna play with an amputated leg?
[/quote]
No, He ended up with so much nerve damage after a game that if he didn't get to the hospital and had emergency surgery he would have had his leg amputated.

Posted · Report post

Sounds like the perfect concept for a new Quentin Tarantino film.

Posted · Report post

wow. really good read. actually gives me more respect for the added rules. these guys don't know where to draw the line...they are blinded by the job. the rules don't just help protect the league from lawsuits, it helps protect the players from themselves.

should they need to be protected from themselves? doesn't really matter because they do need it.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Panthro' timestamp='1358173468' post='2096016']
A one legged Jason Taylor would have still been a better option at Kicker than Olindo Mare
[/quote]

Would have rushed the passer better than Everett Brown as well.

Posted · Report post

You morons read a story about a fuggin modern day Gladiator... An the first poos that come from your mouth are Mare and Everette Brown?

Awesome find OP

Posted · Report post

[quote name='TruCatzFan' timestamp='1358177178' post='2096064']
You morons read a story about a fuggin modern day Gladiator... An the first poos that come from your mouth are Mare and Everette Brown?

Awesome find OP
[/quote]

Stop being an idiot
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Yeah....these dudes need help.

Posted · Report post

Awesome find OP
[/quote]

I am not sure if it is an inferiority complex or bad self deprecating humor. Either way it is predictable and sad.

Posted · Report post

Awesome find OP
[/quote]

So you are saying a one legged Jason Taylor is not better than Everrette Brown? I'd have to disagree.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Vampire the buffet slayer' timestamp='1358173656' post='2096019']
One legged Jason Taylor>Everett Brown
[/quote]
Idk that spin move was killer

Posted · Report post

[quote name='SCP' timestamp='1358178779' post='2096124']

So you are saying a one legged Jason Taylor is not better than Everrette Brown? I'd have to disagree.
[/quote]

I really like you SCP. You never fail to make me laugh

Posted · Report post

Anyone who has played a team sport (a lot of you probably have) knows that your teammates are the most important thing to you. You don't wanna let anyone down, you don't want to dissapoint your team. They are your brothers. That means playing through ridiculous pain and circumstances. And thats just high school and college teams. Imagine being a professional athlete the stakes are 100 times higher.

Posted · Report post

Ballsy...and really stupid considering if that PICC gets infected he would have been out even longer and possibly woulda required a hospital stay..

Posted · Report post

So let me get this straight... the Skins allowed Taylor to take the field with a heart catheter???

Posted · Report post

And that was BEFORE minke shanahan came along.

[quote name='CatMan72' timestamp='1358184031' post='2096269']
So let me get this straight... the Skins allowed Taylor to take the field with a heart catheter???
[/quote]

Posted · Report post

[quote name='CatMan72' timestamp='1358184031' post='2096269']
[/quote]

Not really. A PICC line goes into one of the veins in your upper arm, usually on the inside of your bicep, and has the end in your superior vena cava, the large vein in your chest that returns blood from the upper half of your body to the heart. The tip isn't in the heart since it could cause heart arrythmias bouncing around in there. I would think the big problem as was stated would be infection. PICC lines are direct conduits to your heart and central bloodstream. Getting sweat and possible dirt in it would be bad.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='captfluoro' timestamp='1358187262' post='2096367']

Not really. A PICC line goes into one of the veins in your upper arm, usually on the inside of your bicep, and has the end in your superior vena cava, the large vein in your chest that returns blood from the upper half of your body to the heart. The tip isn't in the heart since it could cause heart arrythmias bouncing around in there. I would think the big problem as was stated would be infection. PICC lines are direct conduits to your heart and central bloodstream. Getting sweat and possible dirt in it would be bad.
[/quote]
reading this while eating my lunch was a bad thing.

Posted · Report post

Really? That's nothing. I can describe some really gross stuff if you'd like.

Posted · Report post

Awesome find OP
[/quote]
Took the words right out of my mouth. Thanks op

Posted · Report post

Do not understand why the Union did not insist on larger rosters in general and larger rosters on game day.

That would stop a lot of this.

The other thing is weight limits on these players. We really do not need 350 lb plus lineman for this game to be enjoyable.

The human body is not designed to carry that much weight.

It is simply a matter of time before a player dies on the field.

Then, just like the brain injury business, will the NFL get serious about protecting these men, from themselves and predatory owners.

I read the full story today and it disturbed me....disturbed me worst than what my Ortho Surgeon (who used to be the Giants Ortho) shared about what he and the other 3 doctors did to get those men ready to play as they were 'commodoties'.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='captfluoro' timestamp='1358187262' post='2096367']

[/quote]

Thanks for the info, I'm still shocked that a team would allow someone to play under those conditions.