Photo
- - - - -

This is crazy! (Jason Taylor on NFL player injuries)

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,349 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

Anyone who has played a team sport (a lot of you probably have) knows that your teammates are the most important thing to you. You don't wanna let anyone down, you don't want to dissapoint your team. They are your brothers. That means playing through ridiculous pain and circumstances. And thats just high school and college teams. Imagine being a professional athlete the stakes are 100 times higher.

#17 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

Ballsy...and really stupid considering if that PICC gets infected he would have been out even longer and possibly woulda required a hospital stay..

#18 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 14,978 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

So let me get this straight... the Skins allowed Taylor to take the field with a heart catheter???

#19 BIGH2001

BIGH2001

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

And that was BEFORE minke shanahan came along.

So let me get this straight... the Skins allowed Taylor to take the field with a heart catheter???

#20 captfluoro

captfluoro

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationHuntersville, NC

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

Not really. A PICC line goes into one of the veins in your upper arm, usually on the inside of your bicep, and has the end in your superior vena cava, the large vein in your chest that returns blood from the upper half of your body to the heart. The tip isn't in the heart since it could cause heart arrythmias bouncing around in there. I would think the big problem as was stated would be infection. PICC lines are direct conduits to your heart and central bloodstream. Getting sweat and possible dirt in it would be bad.

#21 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,734 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

Not really. A PICC line goes into one of the veins in your upper arm, usually on the inside of your bicep, and has the end in your superior vena cava, the large vein in your chest that returns blood from the upper half of your body to the heart. The tip isn't in the heart since it could cause heart arrythmias bouncing around in there. I would think the big problem as was stated would be infection. PICC lines are direct conduits to your heart and central bloodstream. Getting sweat and possible dirt in it would be bad.

reading this while eating my lunch was a bad thing.

#22 captfluoro

captfluoro

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationHuntersville, NC

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Really? That's nothing. I can describe some really gross stuff if you'd like.

#23 Icege

Icege

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

You morons read a story about a fuggin modern day Gladiator... An the first poos that come from your mouth are Mare and Everette Brown?

Awesome find OP

Took the words right out of my mouth. Thanks op

#24 raleigh-panther

raleigh-panther

• HUDDLER
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

Do not understand why the Union did not insist on larger rosters in general and larger rosters on game day.

That would stop a lot of this.

The other thing is weight limits on these players. We really do not need 350 lb plus lineman for this game to be enjoyable.

The human body is not designed to carry that much weight.

It is simply a matter of time before a player dies on the field.

Then, just like the brain injury business, will the NFL get serious about protecting these men, from themselves and predatory owners.

I read the full story today and it disturbed me....disturbed me worst than what my Ortho Surgeon (who used to be the Giants Ortho) shared about what he and the other 3 doctors did to get those men ready to play as they were 'commodoties'.

#25 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 14,978 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

Thanks for the info, I'm still shocked that a team would allow someone to play under those conditions.

#26 Nicbsbll2

Nicbsbll2

• HUDDLER
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

The worst part of the whole article? The very last line of the article:

“Would I do it all again? I would,” Taylor says. “If I had to sleep on the steps standing up for 15 years, I would do it.”

The man has no regrets for any of it. He is not attempting to encourage current players to think about their health and life after football. Any one person that will endure all of that pain and suffering for a game is not a hero or courageous or a role model. He's essentially saying "Look what I endured. If I can go through this pain for the game, so can you." It's irresponsible and he, the NFL, NFLPA, the Miami Dolphins and the Washington Redskins should all be ashamed of it.

#27 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,734 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

Do not understand why the Union did not insist on larger rosters in general and larger rosters on game day.

That would stop a lot of this.

The other thing is weight limits on these players. We really do not need 350 lb plus lineman for this game to be enjoyable.

The human body is not designed to carry that much weight.

It is simply a matter of time before a player dies on the field.

Then, just like the brain injury business, will the NFL get serious about protecting these men, from themselves and predatory owners.

I read the full story today and it disturbed me....disturbed me worst than what my Ortho Surgeon (who used to be the Giants Ortho) shared about what he and the other 3 doctors did to get those men ready to play as they were 'commodoties'.

goodell and the nfl have been taking measures to try and protect players only to be accused of trying to kill the game.

#28 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,734 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

Really? That's nothing. I can describe some really gross stuff if you'd like.

no thanks. i'm a wuss with that whole human blood and organ stuff.

with animals its no big deal, but humans......*shiver*

#29 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 19,638 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

This all comes down to free will. Every one of these guys can walk away from the game if they so choose. Barry Sanders did it. Many others have done it. These guys nowadays can't cry ignorance like the guys who played 30 years ago are doing today regarding concussions. Most of the consequences are out on the table for you to see today. If you choose to play, not matter your reason, it's a choice you make. Do I feel bad when a guy gets severly injured in a game, hell yes I do. But that player made a choice to play and accept the consequences.

#30 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• HUDDLER
  • 8,349 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

This all comes down to free will. Every one of these guys can walk away from the game if they so choose. Barry Sanders did it. Many others have done it. These guys nowadays can't cry ignorance like the guys who played 30 years ago are doing today regarding concussions. Most of the consequences are out on the table for you to see today. If you choose to play, not matter your reason, it's a choice you make. Do I feel bad when a guy gets severly injured in a game, hell yes I do. But that player made a choice to play and accept the consequences.

I had a big debate with my friend and friends dad about this. I agree with you 100%, but they were saying some do not really have a "choice." A lot are born into poverty, didn't finish their degrees, or really didnt earn there degrees. Football is the only way they can help there families get out of the ghetto or make something of themselves. While I don't agree with this completely, just some food for thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.