Good breakdown statistically.

#17 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

Freddy Frashbear

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,791 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

all that article really did was commend fox on making calls that favor the probabilities and defend him on making the calls that didn't favor the probabilities

#18 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

in before manning blames his neck.

#19 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,222 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

Well, here's something new.

Per Gregg Rosenthal, Fox decided to kneel down and play for overtime at the end of the game rather than having Peyton run a 2 minute drill was because his team was "in shock" after the Ravens scored.

Not sure what to do with that :unsure:

#20 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

Taking a knee twice when you have one of the greatest quarterbacks ever. All they needed to do was kick a field goal. Look at what Matt Ryan did in thirty seconds to win against the Seahawks.

Yeah John Fox is a good NFL head coach.

In fairness PFM looked crippled by the end of the game. I remember one deep out route he threw that took everything he had and it still moved like poo through the air.

#21 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,222 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

He is a successful NFL Head Coach. How successful is a debatable topic.

He definitely has his limitations though. All coaches do. The ones Fox has might prevent him from getting to the next level if he doesn't correct them.

(though since he doesn't see them as flaws...)

#22 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

__YOU CAN'T FIRE ME!__

• HUDDLER
  • 18,228 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

Hey, Fox had a good final 1/4 of the season. 4-0. :-)

#23 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,197 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

Per Gregg Rosenthal, Fox decided to kneel down and play for overtime at the end of the game rather than having Peyton run a 2 minute drill was because his team was "in shock" after the Ravens scored.

he's oblivious to the fact that the league has changed to a passing league that has made it easy for big drives that was witnessed a couple times yesterday.

it's what I've been preaching over and over, you can't trust your defense to keep an offense from scoring at the end of the game. you can't give the other team the ball ANYWHERE on that field regardless of how much time is left on the clock. the only safe place for the ball to be is in your offenses hands. no score is safe until the game is over. no lead is big enough.

defenses no longer win championships. the key to winning isn't stopping the other team from scoring because its too easy to score. the key is being able to put more points on the board than your opponent can keep up with.

fox was in shock because his paradigm was exposed as obsolete. i just hope that rivera gets that figured out to a point that at crunch time he won't instinctually revert to the old school obsolete game management mindset that says "lets give the other team the ball and let our offense stop them."

#24 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,197 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

He is a successful NFL Head Coach. How successful is a debatable topic.

He definitely has his limitations though. All coaches do. The ones Fox has might prevent him from getting to the next level if he doesn't correct them.

(though since he doesn't see them as flaws...)

i don't think he does. i just get the feeling that rivera has that same flaw. it comes with being a defensive minded coach.

#25 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,222 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

i don't think he does. i just get the feeling that rivera has that same flaw. it comes with being a defensive minded coach.

Well in fairness, you can't just go whole hog on offense either. Go that route and you risk becoming the 2012 Saints.

Worth noting that this year's final four is two defensive coaches, one offensive coach and a special teams coordinator.

#26 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,290 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

http://espn.go.com/n...altimore-ravens

It's in this article. Foxy also quotes all kinds of stats showing odds are against being successful in that situation...says Atlanta situation was different because they were losing...meaning Foxy does not believe in playing to win, plays not to lose. Also those odds are likely different when you are talking about a QB like Manning.

Just hope Rivera is not as stubborn as Foxy. Does not seem to be.

#27 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,222 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

http://espn.go.com/n...altimore-ravens

It's in this article. Foxy also quotes all kinds of stats showing odds are against being successful in that situation...says Atlanta situation was different because they were losing...meaning Foxy does not believe in playing to win, plays not to lose. Also those odds are likely different when you are talking about a QB like Manning.

Just hope Rivera is not as stubborn as Foxy. Does not seem to be.

Wasn't Fox the one who said stats are for losers?

#28 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

Freddy Frashbear

• HUDDLER
  • 14,791 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

The interesting thing about this whole Fox situation is that now that his team failed in a huge spotlight we're getting national backlash, as opposed to the local backlash when we'd get drubbed. Nobody gave a poo if the Panthers lost except for people in the Carolinas and me ... there are so many casual NFL fans that wanted to see the Broncos win simply because Peyton is their QB and they bought into the whole dream team thing. And that game had all the makings of a classic Fox loss: aging players getting exposed (Champ and arguably Peyton), refusal to go for the jugular despite numerous opportunities, being outcoached. ...if the Ravens STs unit ate their wheaties on Saturday Denver wouldn't have even come close. The entire nation cared enough about this Broncos team to witness first hand Fox calling a Peyton Manning-led offense like a Matt Moore-led offense. And if you want to blame Peyton Manning's age or whatever then do so being fully aware that he's the best QB Fox could've gotten, because he can't develop a young QB.

You Fox fans thought it was just a bunch of unappreciative Carolina fans that thought this. Now go before the entire nation and defend your overrated coach

#29 CarolinaPanthersCynic

CarolinaPanthersCynic

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

I don't see anything wrong with Denver's playoff performance. They lost to a really good Ravens team that's been in the AFC Championship three of the past five years. They lost in overtime by a 47yd field goal. Also their QB turned the ball over three times and they lost their starting running back in the game. Also they missed a field goal of their own that may have changed the complexion of the game.

I wonder if many of you even watched the game. Broncos weren't perfect but they had countless opportunities to win the game and couldn't seal the deal. Also many here have bashed Fox for a run on 3rd and 7 late in the game, a play that Peyton Manning has said he was the one who actually called for a run.

Before it was Fox couldn't be consistent. Now that he's been to the second week of the playoffs in back-to-back years his naysayers are grasping for straws.

Manning was allowed 43 pass attempts in the game, but we're to believe Fox held him back.

#30 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

• HUDDLER
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

"(He) played well enough for us to win."

- John Fox, regarding Peyton Manning's performance in yesterday's playoff game (link)

In fairness, he's probably right about that, but Fox also said if he had it to do over again, he'd still have called for the kneel downs that he did "ten out of ten times".

Can't say I agree on that front.

I still like the run play on 3rd and long, they needed 7 yards to pick up a first down and they would have won the game and what do they do??? run the ball. it was stuff like that which infuriated me with Fox, glade he's gone, some other fan base can enjoy the 3rd and long run plays for a change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com