Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Panthers want 125 Million in taxpayer money.

284 posts in this topic

Posted

Quote in the Charlotte Observer.

Taxpayers got a good deal when Bank of America Stadium was built, at least compared with the subsidies given to many NFL teams.

The public spent about $60 million on land and infrastructure, but the team built the $187 million stadium itself. Some of that money came from the sale of Personal Seat Licenses, in which fans paid for the right to buy season tickets.

In Minnesota, taxpayers are paying for half of the cost of a planned $975 million stadium for the Vikings. In Indianapolis, the public paid for almost all of the new $720 million stadium for the NFL’s Colts, which opened in 2008.

Read more here: http://www.charlotte...l#storylink=cpy

It is crazy how much more these things cost now.

Posted

How much money does JR have himself? He should suffer the most for the losing culture he has created in Charlotte. He should be able to take care of almost all of that money himself. Or at least a good chunk of it. Put back to back winning seasons together first before asking the public to provide it all.

1 person likes this

Posted

I see your point but Im tired of the owners constantly threatening the public that they will move their franchise to LA if we dont give them what they want. The reason there is no team there is because the league\owners will no longer be able rattle their local community. Once a team is there it will all go away...

If the Panthers want to throw away what they have here in the loyal (cough) PSL holders, the local TV deal, and JR's stadium and be that team, then let them leave... no big deal to me, Fug em... The only reason I follow them is because I live in Charlotte... It sure as hell aint because they are a winner...

While I agree with what you are saying about how the owners use LA they would need two teams to move these before this crap stops. Any stadium built there would be equipped to house two teams and a second team would bring higher naming rights ont he stadium. If one team goes there and succeeds then the way owners use LA as a barganing chip would likely get worse.

Posted

The Panthers have made this city much, much more money than it has taken. And it is not even close.

In all honesty, relatively speaking, 125 million is not that much. And its not like JR is wanting that money to for hookers and blow (which would be pretty awesome). Its an investment to IMPROVE the stadium.

Has JR been wise and mistake free? Hardly.

Has he spent money on players? Yes. Albeit, not in the best fashion. But he is putting up the funds.

He wants to upgrade the stadium to help make it more attractive on Sundays.

With the bright future ahead for this team, he wants the stadium to reflect that.

4 people like this

Posted

Just tax the morons that commute to charlotte from the upstate

fuging hillbillies

1 person likes this

Posted

The revenue will likely come from hotel taxes so the citizens of Charlotte will likely pay little if any of the cost. And you will thank the city council once the renovations are finished. If they do everything they have said they are going to do the gameday experience will be really awesome.

This is a good thing and a common thing, but as always it gets ridiculed for using taxpayer dollars to upgrade a sports venue.

Posted

its tax money from hotels etc, not the general public.

Posted

What happened to just taxing the hotels and poo more? not every taxpayer

Posted

I'm not a big fan of giving money to billionaires to build something that they will then charge me to use.

This is issue #1. Since JR bought the franchise, the value has gone from 250 million to 1 billion. Chalk some of that up to inflation but that is a heck of a lot of money to be made in a "small market" as we are known around the league. The PSLs in comparison to what Minnesotta and Indy did sounds a little better because at least JR gave us something tangible instead of putting the whole cost onto tax payers without a seat liscense. But still looks bad..

The other issue as was mentioned in the OP is that JR has started to look like an owner that cares more about the bottom line than he does about winning. So, coming to the fans of Charlotte for MORE money, when they have provided unwavering support for this team despite a lack of success just looks like a money-grabbing move as opposed to a move to reward fans. I'm sure that if the Panthers just came off a 13-3 season with a playoff appearance there would be less griping but this franchise, under the watch of JR, has sucked for the most part.

Posted

I'm not a big fan of giving money to billionaires to build something that they will then charge me to use.

lol

well, when you put it that way....

Posted

Wait, is there a way to only tax Steeler and Redskin fans?

Posted

So are you for giving JR $125M?

Given the amount of tax dollars that go to every professional team by the cities, the amount previously provided to the Panthers is nowhere near the norm.

To keep the team here....yes, I do support it.

I don't necessarily like it. But I do know that it is the price that you pay for professional sports in your town.