Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Panthers want 125 Million in taxpayer money.

284 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[quote name='MadHatter' timestamp='1358254474' post='2097576']
Given the amount of tax dollars that go to every professional team by the cities, the amount previously provided to the Panthers is nowhere near the norm.

To keep the team here....yes, I do support it.

I don't necessarily like it. But I do know that it is the price that you pay for professional sports in your town.
[/quote]

Or we could give 125 local schools a million dollars each to improve their facilities and pay raises for teachers.

Nah.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='unicar15' timestamp='1358254383' post='2097572']
So, coming to the fans of Charlotte for MORE money, when they have provided unwavering support for this team despite a lack of success just looks like a money-grabbing move as opposed to a move to reward fans. I'm sure that if the Panthers just came off a 13-3 season with a playoff appearance there would be less griping but this franchise, under the watch of JR, has sucked for the most part.
[/quote]

It isn't like he will be taking this money and putting it in his pocket. He will be using it for renovations to make a better gameday experience for the fans.

I mean as you say the fans have provided unwavering support, so really he could just not do sh!t and keep collecting money with the stadium the way it is now. By and large this money is going to the fans.

Posted · Report post

By having the team here, JR is pumping and bring in more money to the city and both states than $125. As a fan we don't thing about the business generated for the area because the team is here. The stadium/team is an attraction and destination spot.

Posted · Report post

Call them the Charlotte Panthers and it's a done deal.

125 million = 1 mile of light rail construction

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Zod' timestamp='1358254750' post='2097582']
Or we could give 125 local schools a million dollars each to improve their facilities and pay raises for teachers.

Nah.
[/quote]

As a teacher, and as awesome as this sounds, other professions benefit from having the Panthers much more than a one time upgrade to schools and raises.

But teacher pay is a fundamental problem that almost everyone acknowledges but no one cares enough.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Zod' timestamp='1358254750' post='2097582']

Nah.
[/quote]

And lose the thousands of jobs and hundreds of businesses that are largely dependent on the sports franchises? The overwhelming majority of the State tax revenue already goes to education.

Posted · Report post

If the Panthers are going to leave because they can't have escalators for fat fans to ride and even bigger screens (even though everyone can see the current screens just fine) then what does that say about the Panthers?

How about win some games, sell some merchandise, pay for these LUXURIES yourself?

Or maybe we can start weighing the fans at the gate. If you are morbidly obese you pay 20 bucks to the escalator fund.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

guys, look at this for what it really is. Do you think that tax disappears when the renovations are fully paid for? LOL of course not. After the Stadium renovations are paid for, which prolly wont be more than a couple of years imo, the tax money will then goto the city for schools, roads etc. I dont mind it one bit.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='chknwing' timestamp='1358255152' post='2097590']
guys, look at this for what it really is. Do you think that tax disappears when the renovations are fully paid for? LOL of course not. After the Stadium renovations are paid for, which prolly wont be more than a couple of years imo, the tax money will then goto the city for schools, roads etc. I dont mind it one bit.
[/quote]

Good point.

Ok, lets do it.

:)

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Zod' timestamp='1358255139' post='2097589']
If the Panthers are going to leave because they can't have escalators for fat fans to ride and even bigger screens (even though everyone can see the current screens just fine) then what does that say about the Panthers?

How about win some games, sell some merchandise, pay for these LUXURIES yourself?

Or maybe we can start weighing the fans at the gate. If you are morbidly obese you pay 20 bucks to the escalator fund.
[/quote]

What about older fans?? My father has issues with his hip and knees and often bitches his way up those long winding ramps. Probably easier for someone who just walks down to the field with his camera.
3 people like this

Posted · Report post

Jerry Richardson doesn't appear to be a welfare queen

In good with that

*hands him a blank check*

Posted · Report post

[quote name='teeray' timestamp='1358255269' post='2097594']

What about older fans?? My father has issues with his hip and knees and often bitches his way up those long winding ramps. Probably easier for someone who just walks down to the field with his camera.
[/quote]

Maybe he should watch from home. Being serious