Photo
- - - - -

Panthers want 125 Million in taxpayer money.

• Please log in to reply
283 replies to this topic

#76 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

Why do we the residents of Mecklenburg. County get to pay for it when our name is the Carolina Panthers?

I'm not saying I'm for it or against it..but if our name encompasses 2 entire states..why does one county get stuck paying for it?

Because the team brings no real economic benefit to Greensboro, Wilmington, Greenville(either one) , Charleston, or any other town in the majority of the two state area.

#77 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,455 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

Give him the money. I don't want to see us move to LA it's minimal to what is coming in the future now that we have cam.

#78 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 15,678 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

Again, although it is the city of Charlotte paying the bill, it will probably come out of a hotel tax so that people from outside of Charlotte are actually providing the revenue. And although they are called the Carolina Panthers, Charlotte gets the economic benefits of having the team in their town.

Because the team brings no real economic benefit to Greensboro, Wilmington, Greenville(either one) , Charleston, or any other town in the majority of the two state area.

http://news.illinois...17stadiums.html

“The net economic impact of professional sports in Washington, D.C., and the 36 other cities that hosted professional sports teams over nearly 30 years, was a reduction in real per capita income over the entire metropolitan area,” Humphreys and Coates noted in the report.

The researchers found other patterns consistent with the presence of pro sports teams. Among them:

• a statistically significant negative impact on the retail and services sectors of the local economy, including an average net loss of 1,924 jobs;

• an increase in wages in the hotels and other lodgings sector (about $10 per worker year), but a reduction in wages in bars and restaurants (about $162 per worker per year).
Those employed in the amusements and recreation sector appeared, at first glance, to benefit significantly from the presence of a pro team, with an average annual salary increase of $490 per worker, Humphreys said. However, he added, “this sector includes the professional athletes whose annual salaries certainly raise the average salary in this sector by an enormous amount.

As it turns out, those workers most closely connected with the sports environment who were not professional athletes saw little improvement in their earnings as a result of the local professional sports environment.”

Humphreys, who plans to present data from the report at a Nov. 29 hearing in Washington, D.C., said it is fairly common for city officials – blinded by bright visions of dollar signs – to pose as cheerleaders for projects aimed at attracting pro teams.

#79 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 11,902 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

Thanks Jase. That was next.

Buncha crooks.

#80 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 22,313 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:16 AM

ffs I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Are you all serious about giving a billionaire $125M to improve his private business?

#81 h0llywood

h0llywood

I HATE LUKE KUECHLY!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

How bad do you want your team to stay in Charlotte and your stadium to improve? 125 million from a city, that's it?

For those who talk about LA teams not lasting, learn a little bit of history on why they moved before posting.

#82 Bj-Monster23

Bj-Monster23

Slam Newton

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

Again, although it is the city of Charlotte paying the bill, it will probably come out of a hotel tax so that people from outside of Charlotte are actually providing the revenue. And although they are called the Carolina Panthers, Charlotte gets the economic benefits of having the team in their town.

In the article it said food and sales tax.

#83 jtm

jtm

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

Charlotte built the Bobcats stadium for around $500 million; built NASCAR Hall of Fame for 140 million; built some cultural arts center for 160 million.

The fact some think Charlotte shouldn't give the Panthers 125 million is laughable. Raleigh would give them a key to the city to come there and so would 90% of the cities in the country.

If JR gets this money the total Cgarlotte has given him is 185 million. That is a drop in the bucket compared to other sports teams.

#84 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 22,313 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

How bad do you want your team to stay in Charlotte and your stadium to improve? 125 million from a city, that's it?

For those who talk about LA teams not lasting, learn a little bit of history on why they moved before posting.

How long do you think the fan support in LA would last if their team only had 4 winning seasons out of 18

#85 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 22,313 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

In the article it said food and sales tax.

Yep. It's not an out of towner tax at all

#86 megadeth078

megadeth078

hate hate hate

• HUDDLER
  • 3,989 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

This thread is hilarious. Everyone knew the risks when they brought a team here.

If Charlotte wants to give up on the team, I'm sure somebody else will take it off their hands.

#87 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 17,957 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

It's a fuging 1% tax increase on food and bev. Big deal. A $125 million investment in this franchise is better for the city than a $300 million dollar street car to Presby hospital from Tryon St

#88 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• HUDDLER
  • 4,876 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

Charlotte built the Bobcats stadium for around $500 million; built NASCAR Hall of Fame for 140 million; built some cultural arts center for 160 million.

The fact some think Charlotte shouldn't give the Panthers 125 million is laughable. Raleigh would give them a key to the city to come there and so would 90% of the cities in the country.

If JR gets this money the total Cgarlotte has given him is 185 million. That is a drop in the bucket compared to other sports teams.

If the city feels fine funding the Bobcats, NASCAR, and the arts I don't know why it's remotely an issue to fund the Panthers. They do bring in far more outside investment and dollars than the rest of those combined, after all.

#89 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

JASON VERRETT 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 15,565 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

I told you guys about JR?

The person asking why all the hate toward JR in a recently thread, here's your answer bud.

#90 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 17,957 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

ffs I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Are you all serious about giving a billionaire $125M to improve his private business?

A private business that brings jobs and revenue to the city and businesses around the city. I pay a private business owner $350 a season for my parking pass. Multiply that times 5,000 cars every Sunday parking around the city. But hate the big bad billionaire. That's what's wrong with this country. Progressives want to punish the job and revenue creators.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.