#1 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,922 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

For those who watched the press conference (or those who will watch it later) what do you see/hear?

Here's the link for those who didn't see it.

Dave Gettleman: It's about getting it right

#2 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,304 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

I think he's wicked smaht!

#3 Actionman0z

Actionman0z

Strong Member

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

He needs a cough drop.

#4 Actionman0z

Actionman0z

Strong Member

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

Also, that right now he does not have the answers because he just got here yesterday, but that he will grind it out to solutions. Look for a very fast pace fluid roster overhaul with options. Look for tons of restructuring if players who wont make the money they will make elsewhere to stay here as well... look for solid bolstering of both lines, and a dedication to get big uglies like never before. Be prepared to run the hell outta the football... and we may see an incorperation of horizontal passing attack to set up the run.

#5 MrBubba

MrBubba

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

Sorry I don't do impressions

#6 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,922 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

I figured he'd sound like someone's granddad. Instead, he sounds like Don Vito Corleone with a Boston accent. So I was expecting a grandfather but got The Godfather.

(between his Boston accent and Richardson's Southern drawl, the team may need to hire an interpreter)

Asked to self-describe, emphasized being "very direct" and said "Ron would agree with me on that" which makes me think he might have told Rivera some things he might not have wanted to hear, but may have needed to.

Obviously I loved what he said about "winning games with big men" :lol:

Not the type of guy to say something just to say something. When asked for specifics about the state of the team, stressed he was still evaluating, so he won't be someone who just pulls an answer out of his ass.

Overall strikes me as one of those guys that'll put out a good face with the media but in private will tell you exactly what he thinks on no uncertain terms.

#7 Dex

Dex

Gameday Menu Connoisseur

• HUDDLER
  • 5,867 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

He makes me want to watch The Departed again. He's like an older Alec Baldwin.

#8 Black

Black

Don't Make Me Get Money and Platinumize My Body

• HUDDLER
  • 2,318 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

I liked him. He has tons more personality than Hurney, or Rivera for that matter. Seems like a straight shooter, who doesn't care about accolades. He's a collaborator which is good to know he's willing to hear the opinions of others in the front office. He said something along the lines of it doesn't matter who got it right, as long as it's right. He mentioned that you don't have to spend a lot to get a good player, which seems like a direct comment to separate himself from Hurney in my opinion. He doesn't seem like the type to panic, as he reference how Tom Coughlin was on the hot seat before he won two Super Bowls. He believes success starts with a solid O-line and D-line, something he learned from Coughlin.

He wore a horrible tie, and his breath smells bad.

#9 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

Also, that right now he does not have the answers because he just got here yesterday, but that he will grind it out to solutions. Look for a very fast pace fluid roster overhaul with options. Look for tons of restructuring if players who wont make the money they will make elsewhere to stay here as well... look for solid bolstering of both lines, and a dedication to get big uglies like never before. Be prepared to run the hell outta the football... and we may see an incorperation of horizontal passing attack to set up the run.

I certainly hope he works to bolster the line but don't see how he will influence anything regarding the style of play unless he fires the current staff and hires his own. Maybe I misunderstood...

#10 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,304 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

I liked him. He has tons more personality than Hurney, or Rivera for that matter. Seems like a straight shooter, who doesn't care about accolades. He's a collaborator which is good to know he's willing to hear the opinions of others in the front office. He said something along the lines of it doesn't matter who got it right, as long as it's right. He mentioned that you don't have to spend a lot to get a good player, which seems like a direct comment to separate himself from Hurney in my opinion. He doesn't seem like the type to panic, as he reference how Tom Coughlin was on the hot seat before he won two Super Bowls. He believes success starts with a solid O-line and D-line, something he learned from Coughlin.

He wore a horrible tie, and his breath smells bad.

FYI, paisley is for leaders.

#11 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,922 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

I certainly hope he works to bolster the line but don't see how he will influence anything regarding the style of play unless he fires the current staff and hires his own. Maybe I misunderstood...

He said his duty is "to make everyone better" and specifically talked about working to make Rivera better.

That, plus one of his primary jobs with the Giants was to scout other teams, pinpoint their strengths and weaknesses and contribute to the planning for how to beat them.

So yeah, I think he'll affect the play on the field.

Specifically, he and his staff are going to scout opponents, look at what kind of players/roster we need to beat those opponents, and act accordingly.

#12 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,559 posts

Double Windsors are for closers?

#13 Frosty06306

Frosty06306

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

He wants an OC who runs a balanced O and protects the quarterback. I can get behind Cam not taking the most hits at QB every year.

#14 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,348 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

Sounds like Hurney2.0

#15 PantherBrew

PantherBrew

Educated White Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 6,032 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

Sounds like Hurney2.0

Hurney's logic is sound.

He just overreacted to our own FA's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.