Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Impressions: Dave Gettleman

137 posts in this topic

Posted

He wants an OC who runs a balanced O and protects the quarterback. I can get behind Cam not taking the most hits at QB every year.

Posted

Sounds like Hurney2.0

Posted

Sounds like Hurney2.0

Hurney's logic is sound.

He just overreacted to our own FA's.

Posted

Sounds like Hurney2.0

You must've watched a different video than I did.

Posted

Sounds like Hurney2.0

Yeah, you know, with the addition of 25 years of scouting background and widely viewed as one of the best talent evaluators in the league. He also, as he said himself, isn't a fan of paying contracts outside of positional value - ie huge contracts for sentimental reasons.

But, by all means, continue on with your Eyeore parade.

Hurney did some things right and, very likely, would have had certain similar ideologies with every GM in the league. You're never going to get a compete 180% shift on any hire.

2 people like this

Posted

Sounds like Hurney2.0

as long as he doesn't massively over-pay guys and doesn't make armanti-esque draft maneuvers I think he'll work out well.

Posted

One important factor to me: He stated that the evaluation and roster decision process has to be "unemotional" and "not sentimental".

Welcome words.

4 people like this

Posted

Personnel can be a crapshoot no matter what. One thing we do have complete control over is how much we pay underperforming players. Glad to hear Gettleman plans to write contracts with his head and not his heart.

Posted

One important factor to me: He stated that the evaluation and roster decision process has to be "unemotional" and "not sentimental".

Welcome words.

Goodbye Beason...

Posted

Another thing: Said after he arrived here yesterday he spent so much time working that he wound up never even saying hello to Jerry Richardson. This was because he wanted to "hit the ground running".

Gettleman felt like he owed Richardson an apology for that. If I were Richardson, I'd say "no problem".

This tells me he's more about doing the job he was hired to do than playing office politics or kissing the owner's ass.

2 people like this

Posted

I volunteer to be the team's translator for Gettleman's Boston accent. I've had to deal with my roommates for years.

Posted

Image from the team page...

post-202-0-97908200-1358272140_thumb.jpg

Link for the video of the presser will likely be up in a little bit for those who couldn't see it live.

First question was asked by one of the "Drive" guys from WFNZ. He's been introduced to Charlotte media now (something significantly less scary than New York media).