Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr. Scot

First Impressions: Dave Gettleman

134 posts in this topic

I certainly hope he works to bolster the line but don't see how he will influence anything regarding the style of play unless he fires the current staff and hires his own. Maybe I misunderstood...

He said his duty is "to make everyone better" and specifically talked about working to make Rivera better.

That, plus one of his primary jobs with the Giants was to scout other teams, pinpoint their strengths and weaknesses and contribute to the planning for how to beat them.

So yeah, I think he'll affect the play on the field.

Specifically, he and his staff are going to scout opponents, look at what kind of players/roster we need to beat those opponents, and act accordingly.

1 person likes this

He wants an OC who runs a balanced O and protects the quarterback. I can get behind Cam not taking the most hits at QB every year.

Sounds like Hurney2.0

Sounds like Hurney2.0

Hurney's logic is sound.

He just overreacted to our own FA's.

Sounds like Hurney2.0

You must've watched a different video than I did.

Sounds like Hurney2.0

Yeah, you know, with the addition of 25 years of scouting background and widely viewed as one of the best talent evaluators in the league. He also, as he said himself, isn't a fan of paying contracts outside of positional value - ie huge contracts for sentimental reasons.

But, by all means, continue on with your Eyeore parade.

Hurney did some things right and, very likely, would have had certain similar ideologies with every GM in the league. You're never going to get a compete 180% shift on any hire.

2 people like this

Sounds like Hurney2.0

as long as he doesn't massively over-pay guys and doesn't make armanti-esque draft maneuvers I think he'll work out well.

One important factor to me: He stated that the evaluation and roster decision process has to be "unemotional" and "not sentimental".

Welcome words.

4 people like this

Personnel can be a crapshoot no matter what. One thing we do have complete control over is how much we pay underperforming players. Glad to hear Gettleman plans to write contracts with his head and not his heart.