136 replies to this topic

#121 nagai

nagai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

I really like the guy.

I think he has a great attitude, one that's perfect for a GM. He's willing to look at things objectively and call a spade a spade, at the same time, he's inclusive and wants to listen to everybody. I would love to work for someone like this.

For once, I also think that this hire may foretell who the panthers will draft. A guard at 14? Worse things can happen.

Edit: Scratch that, even Hutch didn't get drafted until the 17th pick. Guards just aren't valued that highly. I wouldn't mind trading up to grab Fisher though! We could also trade down and pick Warmack with better value, but if you really like the guy, you're always gambling with a move like that.

#122 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,960 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

I no longer do first impressions. Let's see how he evaluates talent, drafts, and ultimately how he shapes our team via cutting and signing free agents. Not trying to discourage honest conversation, I just can't make a decision on him just by what he says. I will say thank god we didn't keep Brandon Beane.

Edit: "I need more information." = Our cap looks like absolute poo and I don't want to admit it.

#123 SIGCHI222

SIGCHI222

the illustrious potentate

• HUDDLER
  • 4,465 posts
  • LocationShelby

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

I just watched the press conference. When I saw how long the video was, thought I would only watch a little of it....could not imagine wanting to watch the entire thing. Well, I watched it all and was sorry when it ended. I like this guy. I like his experience, like his philosophy, like his confidence and humility.

Sounds like his experience is rich. Loved what he said about why he asked to take a step back in the organization last year. Loved that he said his job is to make everyone better, including RR. He gave me the feeling he just might do it. He gave compliments but not empty ones. He seems smart, tough, direct, fair, and that he has paid his dues and acquired the tools necessary to be successful at this level.

Anyone who has not taken the time to watch his press conference should. Obviously....I like this hire.

Got to agree with you. I could have listened to Gettleman talk all afternoon. Each statement peeled back another layer. He admitted he was discouraged if not disgruntled about "not getting a sniff" at the other GM jobs last year, knew some would think because of his age that he would be a "dinosaur" or "grumpy". Loved 2 things more than any other..."If it's a situation where I have to make a unilateral decision, that's a part of the gig. That's my job. That's what Mr. Richardson has hired me to do." and, "I believe in faith, family and football."

Very pleased from what I saw today. Stated he was already too busy to exchange pleasantries with JR.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

#124 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,495 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:16 AM

alright I've finally got around to listening to it and I'm like 2 minutes in

it is getting harder and harder to make out what jerry richardson says with every annual press conference

#125 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,495 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

Gettleman's 61, looks like he's 50

#126 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,495 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:25 AM

I'm going to interpret "I need more information" to "it's a fuging mess" on the cap situation

Straight from one of the most well-reputed executives in the league if you're still on the fence about Hurney

#127 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 19,044 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:37 AM

Love tha man's accent. Oh we gonna get along just fine.

#128 Alverez

Alverez

Hold my beer, and check this out!!

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,413 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:35 AM

I like what was said. I liked how it was said.

But, I also don't wanna go all "SUPPER BOWL!!!".

I mean a lot of us liked what RR "said" when he first showed up, and well... yeah.

I have had faith for awhile, and still do. But, I'm just getting a little jaded and wanna see something before I go all in on.

Things seem to be bright for the future if things work out though.

#129 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,621 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:00 AM

All I can say is I will wait and see.I think the real question is he a JR puppet or a real GM?

#130 xerxes

xerxes

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:33 AM

I appreciated his talk about securing his legacy. Sounds like he's got a bit of a chip on his shoulder for not getting a GM job until now. He's hungry. I like it.

#131 DWill

DWill

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

Gettleman seems to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder from having been passed over for gm consideration in years past.

I like that chip.

I like the chip as well but can't help feeling like we filled another key position with a guy no one else wanted. At first glance and admittedly not knowing all the details it just feels a lot like the Rivera hiring to me.

Help me feel better about this. Does anyone know or have ideas on why Gettleman was passed on so often when he clearly has wanted to be a GM for a long time?

#132 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,390 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

I like the chip as well but can't help feeling like we filled another key position with a guy no one else wanted. At first glance and admittedly not knowing all the details it just feels a lot like the Rivera hiring to me.

Help me feel better about this. Does anyone know or have ideas on why Gettleman was passed on so often when he clearly has wanted to be a GM for a long time?

one thing that accorsi said about gettleman is that he's not a self promoter, ie...not a kiss ass.

he's considered a "grinder" which means he's always working. he's about doing the job rather than vying for another one.

others got jobs ahead of him because they worked harder to get it...not meaning they were harder workers than gettleman, just that they tried harder to get the job while gettleman was focused on the job and hoped that his work would speak for itself.

it's unfortnate, but quite often promotions and jobs go to the person that does the best job at selling themselves to their (prospective) bosses rather than the one who actually does the best job.

it's all about where gettleman's focus was. it wasn't greener pastures, it was making the pasture he was on better.

#133 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,045 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

All I can say is I will wait and see.I think the real question is he a JR puppet or a real GM?

They are both closing in on the end. Maybe that is what they have in common. Gettlemen is 61 and wants to win NOW. He probably has a chip on his shoulder. JR is very similar in that regard.

#134 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 40,151 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

one thing that accorsi said about gettleman is that he's not a self promoter, ie...not a kiss ass.

he's considered a "grinder" which means he's always working. he's about doing the job rather than vying for another one.

others got jobs ahead of him because they worked harder to get it...not meaning they were harder workers than gettleman, just that they tried harder to get the job while gettleman was focused on the job and hoped that his work would speak for itself.

it's unfortnate, but quite often promotions and jobs go to the person that does the best job at selling themselves to their (prospective) bosses rather than the one who actually does the best job.

it's all about where gettleman's focus was. it wasn't greener pastures, it was making the pasture he was on better.

I remember in the presser he said he'd spent the entire first "day at the office" working and hadn't even gotten around to saying hello to Richardson. He felt bad about it since Richardson hired him.

Me? I kinda took it as a good thing.

#135 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,390 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

I remember in the presser he said he'd spent the entire first "day at the office" working and hadn't even gotten around to saying hello to Richardson. He felt bad about it since Richardson hired him.

Me? I kinda took it as a good thing.

agreed.

no puppet worth it's salt would have done such a thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com