83 replies to this topic

#31 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

Lafell is a big jump ball/possession guy. We need another guy with game breaking speed, we have 1 and he's getting older. Also I hate when guys say "he's a beast, but you can't take him there. Now if it was 10 picks later, great." That is retarded. The Panthers Board could be totally different then yours or Kiper's. If he's the right player and you get a Desean Jackson(without the headcase sh$t) then that is worth a high pick. Predicting trading back is impossible(you need a partner). If he's your guy(whether it's Tavon or whoever) you take him.

Actually it isn't...

If the player you really want isn't there at 14, then you entertain offers to slide down and get more value out of the pick than taking your next best option who might be there where you trade down to anyways.

None of us know the Panthers board... All we can do is come to our own conclusions by putting ourselves in their shoes. I'd be willing to bet the Panthers board has at least 14 people ahead of Tavon Austin, spanning an entire team's worth of positions.

I get your point that you take a beast when you have the chance, but there are very few sure things in any draft. The key is to come away with the most value you can out of every pick. Look at what the Patriots do every year through the draft. They RARELY take a "reach" pick and if they aren't happy with their options at a certain point, they'll move up or down accordingly. Not only that, but they stockpile good draft picks before hand to allow them to make such moves.

#32 poorboysrev

poorboysrev

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

Actually it isn't...

If the player you really want isn't there at 14, then you entertain offers to slide down and get more value out of the pick than taking your next best option who might be there where you trade down to anyways.

None of us know the Panthers board... All we can do is come to our own conclusions by putting ourselves in their shoes. I'd be willing to bet the Panthers board has at least 14 people ahead of Tavon Austin, spanning an entire team's worth of positions.

I get your point that you take a beast when you have the chance, but there are very few sure things in any draft. The key is to come away with the most value you can out of every pick. Look at what the Patriots do every year through the draft. They RARELY take a "reach" pick and if they aren't happy with their options at a certain point, they'll move up or down accordingly. Not only that, but they stockpile good draft picks before hand to allow them to make such moves.

I understand your point but just saying we don't know how things will shake out at the combine. Guys will sneak in over players we've heard hyped. Predicting a trade back is hard because everyone wants to. Im ok doing it just can't predict it. If Tavon or whoever is the guy and you are not sure he will be there later then I'm ok taking him instead of watching him kill it later on with us saying"but we got an extra 4th rder" and Lafell 2.0.
I know everyone loves the Patriots draft strategy but I think they outsmart themselves sometimes. I think it can hurt you to keep trading back because you water down the talent on your team. You only have so many roster spots and it looks like to me they have alot of smart, pretty good, identical players but no elite talent.

#33 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,962 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

Good player in this offense. Cam throws high at times. I want Patterson or even Allen, but NOT taking Austin could come back and haunt you.

Could Austin save a roster spot by serving as the #3 RB (DWill will be a june I cut)?

#34 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,523 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

Good player in this offense. Cam throws high at times. I want Patterson or even Allen, but NOT taking Austin could come back and haunt you.

Could Austin save a roster spot by serving as the #3 RB (DWill will be a june I cut)?

Yes he can play running back too. Did it the last half the season last season. They wanted to get the ball in his hands as much as possible.

Best game of the season for him.

#35 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,292 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

Lafell is a big jump ball/possession guy. We need another guy with game breaking speed, we have 1 and he's getting older. Also I hate when guys say "he's a beast, but you can't take him there. Now if it was 10 picks later, great." That is retarded. The Panthers Board could be totally different then yours or Kiper's. If he's the right player and you get a Desean Jackson(without the headcase sh$t) then that is worth a high pick. Predicting trading back is impossible(you need a partner). If he's your guy(whether it's Tavon or whoever) you take him.

Lafail is a possession receiver, not a "jump ball" guy. Bad example.

If he was, why don't we ever throw the fade route in the end zone to him?

#36 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

Ask chud that question.

#37 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,292 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

Ask chud that question.

I'd like to believe its fully on Chud but ask yourself if you really believe Lafail can win jump balls in the end zone

#38 poorboysrev

poorboysrev

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

Fine just a possession guy. Just saying he's got size but not enough speed to be a vertical threat. I would love a Calvin Johnson that can do both but I would prefer a receiver that can stretch the field over another possession guy if I have to choose. Getting another tight end that is a good "jump ball/endzone guy" could work too.

#39 BigSyke

BigSyke

I Know you Watching me but I'm watching you too Playa...

• HUDDLER
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

lafail lol

#40 BigSyke

BigSyke

• HUDDLER
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

tavon is decent but more a fit for patriots to me....

i dont really see him catch that many deep balls.....but it would be hard to pass that guy up.

#41 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,292 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

Fine just a possession guy. Just saying he's got size but not enough speed to be a vertical threat. I would love a Calvin Johnson that can do both but I would prefer a receiver that can stretch the field over another possession guy if I have to choose. Getting another tight end that is a good "jump ball/endzone guy" could work too.

Would love an end zone threat TE. Eifert is one but chances aren't likely

#42 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,523 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:08 PM

tavon is decent but more a fit for patriots to me....

i dont really see him catch that many deep balls.....but it would be hard to pass that guy up.

You would be correct to point. But I would say he would do great with the Panthers. Austin is a good short yard and across the field receiver. WVU had Bailey for most of the deep routes.

#43 BigSyke

BigSyke

• HUDDLER
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

You would be correct. Austin is a good short yard and across the field receiver. WVU had Bailey for most of the deep routes.

oh well you must be a big wv fan. lol

you think bailey is underrated?? i know he had over 20 tdsrec.

#44 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,523 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

oh well you must be a big wv fan. lol

you think bailey is underrated?? i know he had over 20 tdsrec.

Bailey has great hands and makes a lot of catches. issues I have with him if he can stay healthy and his speed. He is a late 2nd early 3rd pick. If he can play at nfl speed he is a sleeper.

But austin to me is all around good talent. He will make the tough catches do beleive he needs to work on the deep ball catches but that will come. Size I have no issues but he also needs to put 10 pounds on for the nfl. Hopefully the extra weight doesnt slow him down. Smart player wont take hit if not needed.

#45 Miaoww

Miaoww

• HUDDLER
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:50 AM

I would not be against drafting him at 14.

Seriously.

Y'know who's better? His teammate, Stedman Bailey.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com