Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this normal? Early onset mid-life crisis? WTF?

40 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I was there. Quit my job of 10 years, moved out of Charlotte and haven't looked back. I couldn't take it anymore. I felt like a hypocrite. Now I'm in the middle of nowhere.

Posted · Report post

Find the spot you want to build your small house, then acquire it. Build the house and start using it for weekends away & week long vacations. When you feel the time is right, after all your severance from society is done & you have what you need to survive, then sell your current place of residence & make your weekend spot your new permanent...

Back in '95 I worked on a tugboat, met a guy who sold his house and moved into his sailboat. Dude had a PO box & his 2 boys lived on the boat with him. He owned the boat, worked it out so he could dock & get power from a waterfront business in exchange for keeping an eye on the place at night, he loved it. Just sayin....

Posted · Report post

You guys go to the boonies and eat sticks and live in tents, leaving more stuff for me.

Win-win.

Posted · Report post

every day dude... i'm 30 now... started happening to me a few years ago... it's just getting worse... i'm trying to figure out how to make it work.

Seconded!

Working a plan to get the hell out of this "career" and get into a much more fulfilling mode. My kid is grown and on her own so the wife and I really dont need a big house, 3 cars, 3 TVs, satellite, internet, cell phones, and all of the other poo that is modern life.

I can grow a lot of the food we need on our 1 acre lot and the house is paid for so a couple decent part time gigs should be enough to take care of the necessities.

Posted · Report post

I'm 26 and I got the same feeling. You know what helps? Just going away somewhere for a week or 2, away from everything.

Posted · Report post

You guys go to the boonies and eat sticks and live in tents, leaving more stuff for me.

Win-win.

Was just thinking that....I know a lot of people are going into this mode right now and I get it and good for them but not me. I still need a freaking jetski, my Lexus sports car, hair gel, and high definition LED TVs.

Sure none of this will help me when the zombie apocolypse starts but as far as I am concerned, I hope to be one of the first to go when that day comes.

I do respect the people that go off and live the simple life in the middle of nowhere and I believe that they are happier for it. I'm just not wired that way.

Posted · Report post

On a sidenote, I have entertained the thought of living on a boat and fully intend to do so one day so maybe I am not that bad. When I do it though, will be docked at a place like The Peninsula Country Club on Lake Norman so I won't exactly be roughing it.

Posted · Report post

<<I'd be doing it in the South Pacific. With machine guns and mortars for the pirates, naturally.

Posted · Report post

NO, NO and NO!

your wife and child doesn't need to pay for your need of change!

make small changes and find things of interest to get you out of the rut.

as someone else mentioned...acquire those things that you deem to be important one bit at a time....a total change isn't required.

Posted · Report post

I don't really want to acquire things... I want to get rid of them and simplify...

I'm not really a minimalist by definition, but I want to move away from letting the things I own actually owning me...

Posted · Report post

<<I'd be doing it in the South Pacific. With machine guns and mortars for the pirates, naturally.

I was just referring to the near future to hone my skills. Once the last kid is grown I am off to the Keys, then off to some foreign land.....like Belize, Bali, or Lake Havasu AZ.

Posted · Report post

thank god Canada didn't make that list