Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who gets cut that suddenly leaves us with a big need?

77 posts in this topic

Posted

Gross is the only one that would create a huge need. Luckily he has the easiest contract to restructure and lower his cap figure.

I think our biggest need on the offensive side of the ball is WR.

I just don't see RG as a big of a need as others think. Hanagrtner can suffice while we fill other more pressing needs.

On D we need a DT and a FS.

I think there's a good chance we cut Beason or Anderson.

Posted

Gross lt

Gamble cb

Those are the two most likely. I think Gamble is a damn near lock.

.... i dont think they will leave a big hole...proved that with gamble...

Posted

Cut:Ron Edwards, Chris Gamble Geoff Hangartner, Hauriki Nakamura

Restructure: Jon Beason, Jordan Gross, Deangelo Williams

I'd also talk to Tolbert and Johnson about possibly restructuring their contract. The only reason why I say cut Gamble is because our secondary played well without him and somebody has to go...

1 person likes this

Posted

They're not all starting Mr. Glass Ankles

Williams has missed more games since DT was formed....but that doesn't really matter in this discussion.

Again, no team pays 2 RBs. That isn't just a random coincidence that has reoccurred over and over in NFL history. It is dumb. Silly, that to this day, people still try to justify it.

If your RB goes down....pending you have a good and well built offense. It is simply easy to insert someone that can produce. Cam plus decent RBs can give you a good rush attack.

Money is better used on the OL than backfield.....

Posted

Nakamura. If he's gone there want be the big hole in the secondary for the opposing team!

Posted

This team already has Gamble light in Josh Norman. We dont need that kind of corner we need a corner who is physical at the LOS.

Posted

Cut: Clausen, A Edwards, Gettis, Hangartner, G Williams (take a look at his cap number), R Edwards, J Andersen, Nakamura, Gamble

Traded: Beason (not easy but a team like Dallas switching to a 4-3 without a 4-3 MLB may a trade a 6-7th rounder even with that contract),

D Williams (should be able to get a 4-6th rounder)

Leave via FA: D Andersen, Harstock, Barnidge, Murphy, Applewhite, Neblett, Munnerlyn, Martin

Restructure Contract: Gross, D Edwards

This would put the Panthers cap number at about $96 million (about $25 million in cap space). The biggest wholes would be NT, CB and OG.

1 person likes this

Posted

I don't think Gamble is as big of a need as people think. Or anyone in our secondary. We had a couple of undrafted free agents and a 7th round safety playing back there at the end of the year. The reason they were effective was that our pass rush finally came on. You only give a QB 3 seconds or so to find someone and it makes your db's so much better. Gamble would be a great luxury to have but we can't afford that luxury. Gettlemen has already said that there is a price at every position and I'd imagine the one for DB's isn't that high. A 2nd or 4th round safety/corner could shore up the secondary as long as the pass rush continues to improve.

Gross would be a huge loss. While I feel like he should restructure, move to the right side, and then hopefully we draft a left tackle at 14 it's unlikely. I think the offensive line is a huge priority this offseason. Hopefully we bring in some quality draft picks, at least two, and maybe a low priced veteran free agent.

I see this point. About CB--we will need a nickel and McFadden from San Diego St could be a good fit in the fourth round. Norman, Thomas, and even Dockery did not play that bad. If they had S help, they would even be better.

Norman will improve. He gained a lot of experience. I still think we could grab a CB in the second, a Poyer or Ryan.

If we cut Gross, the savings is less than $7m. We cannot replace him for that. He might be extended to save some coin. Gamble, as you say, is gone unless he takes a significant pay cut.

Posted

Hurney always hit with his forst pick, but failed with the rest of the draft. Gettleman's test is how well he will do with our picks without giving up value to trade up.

Posted

Cut: Clausen, A Edwards, Gettis, Hangartner, G Williams (take a look at his cap number), R Edwards, J Andersen, Nakamura, Gamble

Traded: Beason (not easy but a team like Dallas switching to a 4-3 without a 4-3 MLB may a trade a 6-7th rounder even with that contract),

D Williams (should be able to get a 4-6th rounder)

Leave via FA: D Andersen, Harstock, Barnidge, Murphy, Applewhite, Neblett, Munnerlyn, Martin

Restructure Contract: Gross, D Edwards

This would put the Panthers cap number at about $96 million (about $25 million in cap space). The biggest wholes would be NT, CB and OG.

Dallas does not need Beason.... They have a beast at MLB already in Sean Lee and Bruce Carter is moving to OLB so they're set

Posted

Dallas does not need Beason.... They have a beast at MLB already in Sean Lee and Bruce Carter is moving to OLB so they're set

The report I read said Lee would be WLB and they would need to get a MLB that would fit the Tampa 2. But still just using them as an example.

Posted

The report I read said Lee would be WLB and they would need to get a MLB that would fit the Tampa 2. But still just using them as an example.

I heard on NFLN that Lee was the MLB and Bruce Carter was the WLB