Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who gets cut that suddenly leaves us with a big need?

77 posts in this topic

Posted

Hurney always hit with his forst pick, but failed with the rest of the draft. Gettleman's test is how well he will do with our picks without giving up value to trade up.

Overall Hurney was good at the draft top to bottom but was dead on in the first. When trading up to get a player was when he was at his worst.

Posted

lol @ Gross being cut .. ain't happening .. and shouldn't happen .. careful for what you wish for

Posted

Beason has played ~6 games in 2 years... He is untradeable... He will, however, be asked to restructure, or a target for release...

Deangelo will be asked to restructure, and could be released after June 1, or traded for a midround selection...

Nakamura is gone, a savings of ~1.4M...

Ron Edwards is likely gone, a savings of 1.5M...

Chris Gamble is almost certainly gone, a savings of ~8M...

Depending on how those moves work out, it could save us north of the needed 16M... More moves would have to be made, of course, and they could sting... But I think those are the obvious ones...

Posted

lol @ Gross being cut .. ain't happening .. and shouldn't happen .. careful for what you wish for

He could retire...

OC could play a role

Posted

I heard on NFLN that Lee was the MLB and Bruce Carter was the WLB

Who knows. Teams do things the exact opposite of what the media thinks they will do pretty often. But the point was a team that needs a MLB would trade for Beason the Panthers just won't be getting anything of signifigance in return.

Posted

Who knows. Teams do things the exact opposite of what the media thinks they will do pretty often. But the point was a team that needs a MLB would trade for Beason the Panthers just won't be getting anything of signifigance in return.

Very true... I just feel if we're not going to get much for Beason we should restructure his contract and let him play SLB

1 person likes this

Posted

No true... Our secondary played well enough without Gamble. He's just a nice piece to have when he is there. It will be weird without Gamble there but he is just expendable at the moment

I'd say our biggest need are

1a. NT

1b. RG

2. LT

3 CB

4 O-Line Depth

5. DB Depth

Our secondary playing well is quite an overstatement. We were better as the year progressed but we finished 13th against the pass. In opposing quarterback passer rating we were 23rd. In Interceptions we were 23rd again with 11. No DB had more than 2 ints. We did improve somewhat but surely not enough to make cornerback, not a huge need if Gamble is gone.

Posted

Our secondary playing well is quite an overstatement. We were better as the year progressed but we finished 13th against the pass. In opposing quarterback passer rating we were 23rd. In Interceptions we were 23rd again with 11. No DB had more than 2 ints. We did improve somewhat but surely not enough to make cornerback, not a huge need if Gamble is gone.

Interceptions aren't everything and half of those games I blame Nakamura for if Campbell of even Martin had started I believe we would've started the season better.. Now I agree that we would have to look into getting a CB if both Munnerlyn and Gamble leave but I think we can survive without Gamble. And that's no knock against Gamble he's a great player just a Cap Causality

Posted

Very true... I just feel if we're not going to get much for Beason we should restructure his contract and let him play SLB

I'm not a GM but from my understanding, there is no restructuring or cutting Beason. He either has to be traded or play under his contract as is.

Posted

I'm not a GM but from my understanding, there is no restructuring or cutting Beason. He either has to be traded or play under his contract as is.

I think you could cut him....but you are looking big picture with the cut and not just for the 2013 season ( I think most look at just the upcoming year and impact)

I think Beason is untradeable currently

Posted

I think you could cut him....but you are looking big picture with the cut and not just for the 2013 season ( I think most look at just the upcoming year and impact)

I think Beason is untradeable currently

If we cut Beason we save little. 3.75 million of his 2013 contract is guaranteed and his signing bonus even as a June 1st cut would be 4 million this year and 8 million in dead cap space next year. So he costs us 7.75 million this year and 8 million next year if we cut him. If we keep him it costs us 9.5 million this year and 10.75 next year. Honestly I would think he is worth keeping him for 2 years when the difference between cutting and keeping him is roughly 2 million a year. Cutting him won't even make it worth it until 2015 at the earliest. If you cut him in 2015 as a June 1st you lose 2 mil in 2015 and 2 million in 2016. That would be certainly do-able. There is the possibility he will return to form or at least be worth the 2 mil a year difference over the next 2 years.

If we trade him we would still be on the hook for 12 million in dead cap space over 2 years and probably the guaranteed 3.75 million. Can't cut or trade him really.

1 person likes this

Posted

If we cut Beason we save little. 3.75 million of his 2013 contract is guaranteed and his signing bonus even as a June 1st cut would be 4 million this year and 8 million in dead cap space next year. So he costs us 7.75 million this year and 8 million next year if we cut him. If we keep him it costs us 9.5 million this year and 10.75 next year. Honestly I would think he is worth keeping him for 2 years when the difference between cutting and keeping him is roughly 2 million a year. Cutting him won't even make it worth it until 2015 at the earliest. If you cut him in 2015 as a June 1st you lose 2 mil in 2015 and 2 million in 2016. That would be certainly do-able. There is the possibility he will return to form or at least be worth the 2 mil a year difference over the next 2 years.

If we trade him we would still be on the hook for 12 million in dead cap space over 2 years and probably the guaranteed 3.75 million. Can't cut or trade him really.

Interesting. I read somewhere that his full salary was guaranteed for injury but maybe it's only 3.75. If traded his salary would be paid by the new team. Cap wise we would only be on the hook for the remaining prorated bonus hit.

I still say he's tradable, maybe a 2014 7th?

But if you can't trade him then I agree keep him on the team.