Photo
- - - - -

Who gets cut that suddenly leaves us with a big need?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,648 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

Big picture, Luke isn't a pass rusher. Beason from what we know isn't. I'd rather we eventually pair Luke with a pass rushing WLB.

#62 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,643 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

Ryans cambeack from his ACL and played a 16 game season before he was traded. He had a years worth of his comeback in the books.

Beason came back and was horrible...and went right back to IR.

So I still don't see how the rest of Beason contract is appealing to a team considering his recent history

Beason wasn't horrible he just wasn't what people here expected. He had 28 tackles in 6 games or 4 tackles a game. Ryan in 2011 had 68 tackles in 16 games or roughly 4 tackles a game. Pretty much the same.

Ryans was a 2 down linebacker for Houston. He was in the wrong system when they moved to a 3-4 and he was diminished as a player. But he had a much better 2012. The fact that Beason's injuries were not to his Achilles but something else suggests he could be well worth keeping given we are screwed either way.

#63 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,643 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

Big picture, Luke isn't a pass rusher. Beason from what we know isn't. I'd rather we eventually pair Luke with a pass rushing WLB.

What MLB in the league is a pass rusher?? So you mean pass rusher or blitzer?? Most people don't use the terms interchangeably.

#64 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,643 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

Of all the players Beason is the most complicated. He is the one player I really don't know what will happen. You another team trade for him? Would Gettleman sit on 12 million in dead space over 2 years? Can he even come back and if so will he do it as a SLB or be good at that spot?

A lot of questions that have completely no known answers. Even the details of the contract aren't known publicly so who knows.

http://www.spotrac.c...ers/jon-beason/

I feel like Joe Person- breaking news, just a few years late.........

#65 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,648 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

Beason wasn't horrible he just wasn't what people here expected. He had 28 tackles in 6 games or 4 tackles a game. Ryan in 2011 had 68 tackles in 16 games or roughly 4 tackles a game. Pretty much the same.

Ryans was a 2 down linebacker for Houston. He was in the wrong system when they moved to a 3-4 and he was diminished as a player. But he had a much better 2012. The fact that Beason's injuries were not to his Achilles but something else suggests he could be well worth keeping given we are screwed either way.

Beason was pretty sad IMO in 2012 before going to IR. He didn't make relatively easy plays for a non Jon Beason.

#66 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,648 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

What MLB in the league is a pass rusher?? So you mean pass rusher or blitzer?? Most people don't use the terms interchangeably.

IMO, being a good blitzer at LB is more than just scheme IMO. I know some think it is all scheme. Beason has been asked to blitz at MLB and OLB....he just doesn't have that unknown quality. You need pass rushing skills IMO to be a great blitzer. I think TD has it.

#67 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,643 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

IMO, being a good blitzer at LB is more than just scheme IMO. I know some think it is all scheme. Beason has been asked to blitz at MLB and OLB....he just doesn't have that unknown quality. You need pass rushing skills IMO to be a great blitzer. I think TD has it.

If by pass rusher you mean having a swim move or a bull rush or are very good as creating leverage on the edge then none of our linebackers are good pass rushers. The goal of a blitzing linebacker is to avoid contact and come charging in to overwhelm the quarterback before he can throw the ball. And most of that is scheme and misdirection. Most pass rushers have to beat their man with technique. Not the same at all.

#68 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,643 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

Beason was pretty sad IMO in 2012 before going to IR. He didn't make relatively easy plays for a non Jon Beason.

Relatively the same numbers as Ryans on a per game basis.

#69 mountainpantherfan2

mountainpantherfan2

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/jon-beason/

I feel like Joe Person- breaking news, just a few years late.........

That doesn't give details. I've seen those numbers but it doesn't say what is guaranteed and for what. It also doesn't say if any of the projected salary is base or incentive driven i e he only gets 5.25 only if he takes 75% of the defensive snaps ect.

Hurney used to do a lot of that in past contracts but don't know if he still was when Beason signed.

#70 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,643 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

That doesn't give details. I've seen those numbers but it doesn't say what is guaranteed and for what. It also doesn't say if any of the projected salary is base or incentive driven i e he only gets 5.25 only if he takes 75% of the defensive snaps ect.

Hurney used to do a lot of that in past contracts but don't know if he still was when Beason signed.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4192/jon-beason

Add that last post to this. Click on the contract details. He was give a 20 million signing bonus and all of his first 2 years and 3.75 million of 2013 are guaranteed. He has a 250,000 workout bonus. There were no incentives mentioned as likely to be earned or they would be counted in his cap. Other questions???

#71 mountainpantherfan2

mountainpantherfan2

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4192/jon-beason

Add that last post to this. Click on the contract details. He was give a 20 million signing bonus and all of his first 2 years and 3.75 million of 2013 are guaranteed. He has a 250,000 workout bonus. There were no incentives mentioned as likely to be earned or they would be counted in his cap. Other questions???

Nice thanks for the links.

#72 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,648 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

Relatively the same numbers as Ryans on a per game basis.

yes, saying it that way avoids the reality Ryans played full 16 game season after he tore his ACL....and Beason went back to IR.

and yes, if you only go off the stat sheet there tackles were about the same. If you watched Beason in 2012....he just wasn't good. I didn't expect Beason to be Beason as there are about 20 threads stating that. He wasn't average. He was a liability.

#73 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,643 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

yes, saying it that way avoids the reality Ryans played full 16 game season after he tore his ACL....and Beason went back to IR.

and yes, if you only go off the stat sheet there tackles were about the same. If you watched Beason in 2012....he just wasn't good. I didn't expect Beason to be Beason as there are about 20 threads stating that. He wasn't average. He was a liability.

Ryans tore his achilles heel the same as Beason. As for Ryans he didn't play well in 2011 either, he was largely restricted to first and second down and was a liability as well. That is what an achilles injury does to you especially year 1. And he was in the wrong scheme. Why else would Houston essentially give him away to Philly.
But that is history. It isn't what happened but will happen in 2013. Will Beason return or be gone. I would think that if you were a Panther fan you would hope he comes back 100% and is great given we can't afford to get rid of him. You seem way too contrary and negative most of the time.

#74 Panthersguru14

Panthersguru14

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

Cut: Clausen, A Edwards, Gettis, Hangartner, G Williams (take a look at his cap number), R Edwards, J Andersen, Nakamura, Gamble

Traded: Beason (not easy but a team like Dallas switching to a 4-3 without a 4-3 MLB may a trade a 6-7th rounder even with that contract),
D Williams (should be able to get a 4-6th rounder)

Leave via FA: D Andersen, Harstock, Barnidge, Murphy, Applewhite, Neblett, Munnerlyn, Martin

Restructure Contract: Gross, D Edwards

This would put the Panthers cap number at about $96 million (about $25 million in cap space). The biggest wholes would be NT, CB and OG.

I like the Dallas possibility considering i just read an article that said Dallas will have about 18 mill in cap space this year.

And if we get that far under the cap i will piss myself.

#75 Panthersguru14

Panthersguru14

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

I'm not a GM but from my understanding, there is no restructuring or cutting Beason. He either has to be traded or play under his contract as is.

what could happen is we could give him the same amount of money over a longer period of time so that the cap hit is less. Plus its not like hes old he was just coming off of an injury that is not easy to come back from. I feel like he could be an awesome SLB and we could trade Anderson for cheap and still have good depth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com