202 replies to this topic

#1 PhillyB

PhillyB

hari kari for amari

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,859 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:54 AM

this is still a focal point of debate for the united states, and, with religious grounding being the primary cause, it's important for non-religious and fundamentalist religious people alike to read this article. there's a lot of excellent points worth considering (and many of them point to some much deeper questions about biblical scholarship and literalist interpretations, but that's another thread for another time.

excerpt:

Proposition 1: Strictly speaking, the New Testament says nothing at all about homosexuality.

There is not a single Greek word or phrase in the entire New Testament that should be translated into English as “homosexual” or “homosexuality.” In fact, the very notion of “homosexuality”—like that of “heterosexuality,” “bisexuality,” and even “sexual orientation”—is essentially a modern concept that would simply have been unintelligible to the New Testament writers. The word “homosexuality” came into use only in the latter part of the nineteenth century, and, as New Testament scholar Victor Paul Furnish notes, it and related terms “presume an understanding of human sexuality that was possible only with the advent of modern psychological and sociological analysis.” In other words, “The ancient writers . . . were operating without the vaguest conception of what we have learned to call ‘sexual orientation’.”1 (In the rest of this article I shall use the terms “homosexual” and “homosexuality” strictly for the sake of convenience.)

it's a good read and not terribly long.

#2 YourMomsLover

YourMomsLover

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:19 AM

Ban guns but allow same sex marriage.

#3 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,772 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:17 AM

No time to read this morning, but at that time there may have been no specific word to describe it...or if it were...just omitted. Romans speaks on this.

#4 The Saltman

The Saltman

I am always watching so make sure you keep your clothes on

• Moderators
  • -24,932 posts
  • LocationAtlanta,GA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

Lol because one has to do with the other.

#5 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

We dominated time of possession though!

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,001 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

you win this round of "post the most unintelligible argument imaginable"

#6 TbTeRRoR

TbTeRRoR

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:04 AM

Effeminate is used in the New testatment.

I Challenge you to show me an effeminate man and prove he is not gay. There are of cousre 2 types of gay men the effeminate ones and the more manly ones...... See what I did there... yeah Effeminate is in the new testament.

Dont' confuse with meek with effeminate. Jesus was meek.

I'm pretty sure I've read this before

#7 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,001 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

I Challenge you to show me an effeminate man and prove he is not gay. There are of cousre 2 types of gay men the effeminate ones and the more manly ones...... See what I did there... yeah Effeminate is in the new testament.

prince is "effeminate" but gets more pussy than you get hot meals

#8 pantherfan82

pantherfan82

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationNORTH CAROLINA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

Good article

#9 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,001 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

it's worth noting that the bible condemns "fornicators" with the same zeal but you don't see quite the same rancor over that

#10 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,265 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

By brother in law is effeminate but most assuredly not gay, a fellow I work with is likewise a bit on the lilty side but once again not gay. In my younger days I was very active in both school and community theater and at that time could have introduced you to a dozen men who fit that description.

That's no less an ignorant statement than any other racist stereotype.

#11 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 34,011 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:39 AM

Agree with Inmicus... a man's "masculinity" or appearance thereof has no effect whatsoever on their sexuality.

I've known guys who were very effiminate that were straight and I've known guys who were very masculine and were gay.

Silly.

Don't stereotype Tb

#12 PhillyB

PhillyB

hari kari for amari

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,859 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

I Challenge you to show me an effeminate man and prove he is not gay. There are of cousre 2 types of gay men the effeminate ones and the more manly ones...... See what I did there...

is this the only thing you could find disagreeable about the article?

#13 PhillyB

PhillyB

hari kari for amari

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,859 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

tbterror do you know who DC Talk is is?

#14 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

So if the bible only speaks against effeminate men, is it okay for me to fug a dude? If I grew out my beard a bit and drank some whiskey no one would consider me effeminate, so I should be in the clear

#15 catfang

catfang

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,655 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

Agree with Inmicus... a man's "masculinity" or appearance thereof has no effect whatsoever on their sexuality.

I've known guys who were very effiminate that were straight and I've known guys who were very masculine and were gay.

Silly.

Don't stereotype Tb

Same experience here. One time I talked to a "masculine" guy about one of the "gay guys" at the restuarant where I used to work. That was all well and good til the "masculine" guy pinched my ass. Don't judge a book, etc etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com