#61 GRWatcher

GRWatcher

watching gr

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts
  • LocationStatesville

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

All that could be sold are his shares and maybe those of this family. And if they don't want to sell, tough luck. Wills with stipulations like this have successfully been challenged in court.

Look, at least we aren't in the Bills' situation. Their owner is 94, has no children, and lives outside of Detroit. There have been various ownership groups who want to keep the team in Buffalo that have approached him about selling and it hasn't happened yet. To them, signing the stadium lease last year was a very big deal.

#62 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,619 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Yeah, I've always heard some not nice things about Mark Richardson and little about Jon but the little I've heard was good.

I've always had the impression that Jon was the nice buy but maybe not a tough enough businessman and that Mark is the corporate asshole boss type.

A couple of years back, the team wasn't able to give Christmas bonuses. Mark apparently just said "too bad" to his people. Jon called them all in and handed them 100 dollar bills from his own money. He even apologized that he couldn't give more.

That was apparently the start of the friction between the brothers. Mark got pissed and screamed to Papa because he said it made him look bad.

(in reality, being a prick is what made him look bad)

#63 BIGH2001

BIGH2001

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

Sure man. Your bff Bobcat Johnson did a great job and he wasnt local. As usual, a worthless troll post from you.

I pray that our next owner is someone not from NC. The whole "it must be a local" philosophy is a big reason Charlotte sports sucks. We keep giving our trust to local big wigs who care more about making money off their people than giving them a winner. Keeping it in the family has only led to losing.

#64 mountainpantherfan2

mountainpantherfan2

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Jim Goodnight has a fug ton of money.

He has a large net worth not sure how much cash he would have to actually buy a franshise. But him and John Sall together would probably be able to cover it. But would they want to?

#65 The_Light_Brigade

The_Light_Brigade

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • LocationCaddyshack

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

But would they want to?

good point.

#66 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,418 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

I am not sure the remaining owners with loyalties to JR would vote to move the team. Selling out every game and getting financial support from the community...Not smart. Does Florida really need 3 teams?

#67 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,421 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

Sall wouldn't, he lives in his own little world but is one of the nicest guys I've met at any level. I can just picture constant talk of Goodnight moving the franchise to Raleigh by the media when they get bored.

As a minority partner, that'd be cool.

#68 Fan01

Fan01

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

A couple of years back, the team wasn't able to give Christmas bonuses. Mark apparently just said "too bad" to his people. Jon called them all in and handed them 100 dollar bills from his own money. He even apologized that he couldn't give more.

That was apparently the start of the friction between the brothers. Mark got pissed and screamed to Papa because he said it made him look bad.

(in reality, being a prick is what made him look bad)

I'd heard that same story.

#69 Panther4Ever

Panther4Ever

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

George Shinn

#70 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 14,640 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

Choosing one son over the other? Would have been a civil war in his family.

That's the kind of thing that's easier to do in your will than while you're alive.

People who worked for Jon loved him. Not so much with Mark.

Understood, but firing an otherwise good man in the interest of fairness doesn't seem fair at all.

This leads me to believe that JR felt Jon was contributing to the problem on some level, the people that worked for Jon may have loved him, but that doesn't mean Jon didn't engage in some sort of pissing contest with Mark to the detriment of the franchise.

#71 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,619 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

Understood, but firing an otherwise good man in the interest of fairness doesn't seem fair at all.

This leads me to believe that JR felt Jon was contributing to the problem on some level, the people that worked for Jon may have loved him, but that doesn't mean Jon didn't engage in some sort of pissing contest with Mark to the detriment of the franchise.

Word was that rather than pick sides with one son, he cut them both loose. Right decision? No idea. I just think it was one of those "Solomon" moments, or perhaps one where there was no good option.

#72 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,498 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

Well at least there is a plan. I was under the impression he didn't give a fug what happened after he was buried.

#73 fjblair

fjblair

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

What the hell happened to his sons? After he fired the family they fell of the face of the earth.

#74 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

First of all, this article is bullshit to sell this to us better. "no no we have to pay this so after richardson sells the team the new owner won't want to move them to LA." If that were so important to him he could cut a check. Don't buy this for a second.

Regarding succession, keep in mind that there are other owners of this team, some of them with very deep pockets. I would be very surprised that if there's another majority owner, it didn't come from inside the group already owning the team.

The other, fun possibility is that someone with ties to the NFL buys in. The Panthers have been very successful within league politics bringing out their former player/owner, and richardson really love him the ties to the North East.

Unless Brad Johnson has become a millionaire and I didn't notice, there aren't really any other NC based players in a position to buy the team. CURTIS MARTIN ON THE OTHER HAND....

Good grief man. If you want the Panthers to stay in Charlotte long term then you need to pay up but not because JR would move them. But who might buy them may move them especially since there would be practically nothing that the city of Charlotte could do to stop it. Charlotte is blessed to have the 11th most valuable sports team in the world calling it home. The Panthers have brought Charlotte more money then it's ever taken from it. If JR was only about the money he would have moved the team to LA already. It's been documented that LA has wanted the Panthers and tried to sell JR on it. JR is giving Charlotte an awesome deal. In today's NFL market 125 million on stadium upgrades is chump change, especially since it was privately funded to begin with. But this deal is not about the upgrades....it's about selling a portion of the team to the city so it can't move after he dies. Look at the cost of the new Met Life stadium, or the Cowboys stadium. JR would not need money from Charlotte if this deal was only about stadium grades especially 125 million. He would have made more money paying for them himself and then selling the team.

It's just getting frustrating seeing all this hate on JR. He's an old school gentlemen that loves where he's from. He's never once has done anything to make us question is morality and ethics. He's a good owner. Like every man, he doesn't always make the right choices. But overall the man appears to be without a lot of ego and seems quite honorable.

#75 Third Degree

Third Degree

Come back soon, 89

• HUDDLER
  • 4,398 posts
  • Location704

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:59 AM

It would have been more honorable had he divulged these succession plans before the city's vote passed, not THE DAY AFTER.

If he wants to keep the team in Charlotte having a plan including his family and demanding it be bought by a local would be honorable. Making sure it just changes hands within 2 years of his death doesn't seem that honorable. I don't get where people think this is so great, unless you live in LA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.