#61 CatofWar

CatofWar

Join, or Die

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,390 posts
  • LocationGitmo

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

i like both of these ideas. but i would extend the line of liability to the owner of stolen guns, too. if you have a gun "stolen" from you that is later used to murder someone, you should have some liability. two reasons: 1. so many 'stolen' guns are really sold and just reported stolen. and 2. if it really is stolen, you still should have some liability due to your inability to handle owning such a thing without having it stolen. if enriched uranium is left laying around the pentagon cafeteria and someone takes it, it's not an 'oh well, hope nobody kills somebody with it' situation. there's liability involved.

Lol. That has gotta be the most rediculous thing I've read in the tinderbox and that's saying a lot.

Yeah, let's punish victims now.

#62 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,729 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

I'm not a gun person, necessarily. I don't own any guns, after all.

My point was, how can you rationalize charging someone with complicity that wasn't actually involved in the crime? You can charge them with improperly storing a firearm, if it can be proven that it wasn't properly stored, but you can't just go charging someone who's gun was stolen and used in a murder while ignoring charging EVERYONE who's gun is stolen and not used in any violent way.

You have to charge everyone who has a gun stolen with the same thing. The only effect this will have is a total elimination of people reporting gun thefts.

if they don't report the gun theft then guess who it points to as the last owner when it's used in a crime?

you're probably right in that it's not a realistic real world solution. but i don't think 'it was locked in my house' should be absolution of any responsibility.

#63 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,729 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

Lol. That has gotta be the most rediculous thing I've read in the tinderbox and that's saying a lot.

Yeah, let's punish victims now.

the victims are the people killed by the gun and the gun owner's negligence.

#64 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,624 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

if they don't report the gun theft then guess who it points to as the last owner when it's used in a crime?

you're probably right in that it's not a realistic real world solution. but i don't think 'it was locked in my house' should be absolution of any responsibility.

Well, with your idea you're going to get charged either way right? Because you can't just go charging people who's stolen property is used in a crime that they weren't complicit in while ignoring people who had the exact same type of property stolen that wasn't used in a crime.

So if they are going to be charged either way, might as well just wait it out and hope that whom ever stole the weapon either doesn't use it in a violent crime, or doesn't get caught.

I'm sure there might be some incredibly honest people who would turn themselves in and take a charge, but by in large you would see an almost 100% reduction in the reporting of gun thefts.

Again, if you want to create a charge for "improperly storing a firearm", or something of the like, that can be applied to anyone found with an improperly stored weapon. Like one just sitting on a car seat in an unlocked car, or somesuch. Sure. But you can't just create a special charge for someone who's stolen property just happened to be used in a crime by an completely unrelated person.

#65 Datawire

Datawire

• ALL-PRO
  • 214 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Agreed. I don't post a lot but I have read quite a bit here over time. I have to say I had to read that twice to make sure I read it correctly. Completely asinine.

#66 CatofWar

CatofWar

Join, or Die

• HUDDLER
  • 3,390 posts
  • LocationGitmo

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

the victims are the people killed by the gun and the gun owner's negligence.

Yeah, someone commits a breaking and entering, commits a felony and its the home owners fault. Got it.

#67 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,729 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

Sounds like a lot of people when faced with the full weight of taking personal responsibility start to get a little nervous

#68 Toolbox

Toolbox

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,484 posts
  • Locationnc

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

shall not infrige.. guess that goes right over peoples heads.

#69 CatofWar

CatofWar

Join, or Die

• HUDDLER
  • 3,390 posts
  • LocationGitmo

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

Sounds like a lot of people when faced with the full weight of taking personal responsibility start to get a little nervous

Lmao you are a piece of work. Nervous for what, some imaginary scenario where you make the laws? I'm totally shaking in my tinfoil hat.

#70 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,624 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

Yeah, this is totally it. Not that your idea is completely ludicrous and unrealistic. Not mention the fact that it's placing blame on an original victim and creating an unequal legal playing field that is beyond their own personal control - IE being able to control what someone does with your property after they have stolen it.

#71 Datawire

Datawire

• ALL-PRO
  • 214 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

Arrogant much?

Maybe you can answer my question I posed earlier. The next time school kids get shot up, then what? What's next.

#72 CatofWar

CatofWar

Join, or Die

• HUDDLER
  • 3,390 posts
  • LocationGitmo

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

Arrogant much?

Maybe you can answer my question I posed earlier. The next time school kids get shot up, then what? What's next.

Take all the guns, duh.

#73 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,729 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

Yeah, this is totally it. Not that your idea is completely ludicrous and unrealistic. Not mention the fact that it's placing blame on an original victim and creating an unequal legal playing field that is beyond their own personal control - IE being able to control what someone does with your property after they have stolen it.

Here's an idea: prevent it from being stolen, then you don't worry about it.

#74 YourMomsLover

YourMomsLover

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

Shockingly my Facebook wall is aflame with anti Obama messages and memes. I wonder how many people actually took the time to do what Kurb did and ACTUALLY READ IT? Very few apparently.

I actually made it my priority to stay away from the subject today of FB. Instead focusing on my little girl receiving her terrific kid award at school, and a nice pic of a backwoods redneck that was sad because "his gf dumped him, but was glad they could still be cousins" lol

Also Ms Panthersfan said to please give it a rest. I listened.

Nothing negative to say about the events of today.

#75 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,624 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

Here's an idea: prevent it from being stolen, then you don't worry about it.

Do you agree with charging everyone with a stolen weapon with an equal charge, regardless of what the weapon is used for?

Of course this ignores the fact that there is literally NO WAY to 100% prevent something from being stolen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com