Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest BlueBoyRamses_E1b1a

Parcells & Taylor have solution to read-options(play-action run).genius

69 posts in this topic

Actually, everyone should listen to The Great Proudiddy.

If you have a solid front 7, key on the QB. Not repeatedly hit him, but you contain him every play. You approach each play as though he is going to run it.

Go back and watch what the Giants game from this year. That is exactly what they did to us. If your front 7 is strong enough, give the RB his carries and live with it.

Well, they couldn't do the same to the Redskins that played them twice.

you could easily argue our G play at that point was the worst in the NFL (Piggy and a very shakey rookie).

read option has proven to work on good fronts. Bad OL play pretty much squashes anything.

The Giants got manhandled twice by the skins. A much inferior team personnel wise they still were on skate most of the game by the read option. Even Justin Tuck said his peace about facing that offense and happy he was facing Brees the following week.

one of the things that kelly did quite often was run play action off of it along with a lot of other more traditional plays.

the more dimension you add to it, the more successful it will be....just like any other running scheme.

Yep! That's exactly what the seahawks, 49ers, and redskins do. We need to get there too. Plus a lot of time those dynamic QBs beat their man too. Parcells didn't account for that either.

Ask RG3's knee how effective it is

You have an offensive line, and TE's if you want to add them. I mean you don't just let people roam around being untouched. Its usually man on man

And a lot of those big plays come by when the QB beat their man. And they beat their man more often than not. I just love the future this franchise have although I'm biting my tongue on Rivera.

you can't get penalized for hitting the QB because he isn't out of the play. matter of fact, he's assumed to be the playmaker until that last second he ditches the ball, leaving him wide open to get knocked the fug out..

I am not really sure what the original poster is trying to say with play action and adjusting defenses, but it sounds like parcells is just advocating playing your defense and hitting the quarterback as often as possible when you have the opportunity. You'll get flagged a few times, but the hesitation and wear and tear on the quarterback will probably be worth it.

How much wear and tear can a QB really have running it a few times a game? Rodgers was the most sacked QB in the league last year. Even RG3 barely gets hit when I watch him play. His injury was just a freak accident. Cam got hit more dropping back than on read options.

nice in theory....but that essentially opens up the RB's hole more easily. Also, sets up the D for penalties.

That is true, but Parcells understands how important the qb is in today's game. After watching their multimillion dollar qb get planted into the turf a few times, and get up wobbly, coaches will start to shy away from a play that makes the qb a runner and doesn't give them a chance to get down before getting hit. And fwiw, a chance to plant the qb might pay dividends later in the game and might be worth the risk of a penalty or two, or a couple of long runs by the rb.

This strategy might work better though against guys like Wilson and Griffin than against a bigger runner like Cam.

The most effective way to defend the read option is by using the "scrape exchange" technique where the DE and LB entice the QB into keeping the ball. The DE crashes down on the HB but the LB scrapes behind the DE and gets the QB who decided to keep based on the actions of the DE.

There is no mystery to stopping the read option, it's just that NFL defenses have not fully adapted to it yet.

In our case, you have the added problem of your LB needing to take down our 6'5" 250 lb QB one-on-one. In most cases, where the read option is involved - your LB's are not giving away size to the opposing QB.

The offense is fine, unfortunately the play calls at certain times and on certain downs is the reason we missed the playoffs once again

I know. And I can't wait when those genius DCs figure out how to stop Cam from running and let him drop 5000 through the air instead. I love it!