option play read action pass

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

Moderators

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

Actually, everyone should listen to The Great Proudiddy.

If you have a solid front 7, key on the QB. Not repeatedly hit him, but you contain him every play. You approach each play as though he is going to run it.

Go back and watch what the Giants game from this year. That is exactly what they did to us. If your front 7 is strong enough, give the RB his carries and live with it.

#22 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
Guests

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

He means on read option runs. First guy hits the QB no matter what he thinks the QB will do. This automatically turns the read option into 1 option- RB. If the ends go after the QB no matter what the QB will dish the ball or take a loss/ small gain.

Don't teams go after the QB no matter what anyway? Do they always get to them? Brady and Manning can't run folks. It would be easy to just go after them just before the 10 second expires before they get rid of the ball.

#23 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

nice in theory....but that essentially opens up the RB's hole more easily. Also, sets up the D for penalties.

#24 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Go back and watch what the Giants game from this year. That is exactly what they did to us. If your front 7 is strong enough, give the RB his carries and live with it.

you could easily argue our G play at that point was the worst in the NFL (Piggy and a very shakey rookie).

read option has proven to work on good fronts. Bad OL play pretty much squashes anything.

#25 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
Guests

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

He means on read option runs. First guy hits the QB no matter what he thinks the QB will do. This automatically turns the read option into 1 option- RB. If the ends go after the QB no matter what the QB will dish the ball or take a loss/ small gain.

Also, isn't the RB half of the read-option? So he'd give the RBs 15yards per play just to touch the QBs? Now I get it. I am not good at understanding the words of geniuses. With those 15 yards per play by the time they put enoug hits on those QBs they'd be 5 TDs up with the back up doing clean up duty.

#26 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

Moderators

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

you could easily argue our G play at that point was the worst in the NFL (Piggy and a very shakey rookie).

read option has proven to work on good fronts. Bad OL play pretty much squashes anything.

Agreed, but IMO, what makes the read-option effective is the mystery of who is getting/keeping the ball. If you ensure that a dynamic QB can't run if he keeps it, you can live with the RB getting his yards, because they are a runner by design anyway...

#27 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

yep. the reason that the read option didn't work was because of the OL and chud's narrow usage of it, as in it was easy to defend because 90+% of the time the defenses could be sure we weren't going to be throwing it when we lined up in a read option type formation.

we were as predictable as any davidson offense only without the benefit of a stout OL blocking.

it was just a bad mixture.

#28 rayzor

rayzor

Moderators

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

Agreed, but IMO, what makes the read-option effective is the mystery of who is getting/keeping the ball. If you ensure that a dynamic QB can't run if he keeps it, you can live with the RB getting his yards, because they are a runner by design anyway...

well, i would add to that mystery whether or not the QB was going to throw. we just left out that part around here. there has to be an element of play action in it.

#29 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

Moderators

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

well, i would add to that mystery whether or not the QB was going to throw. we just left out that part around here. there has to be an element of play action in it.

Definitely... I was just referring to the read option itself. If the pass is a threat, you can't commit guys like you would when you know it's a run.

That being said, even if you kept keying on the QB with athletic DEs, you can't go wrong. The key is the QB.

But, yeah, our problem were many early on... Among them, there was absolutely no guesswork when it came to formations, tendencies, blocking, etc.

#30 rayzor

rayzor

Moderators

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

Definitely... I was just referring to the read option itself. If the pass is a threat, you can't commit guys like you would when you know it's a run.

That being said, even if you kept keying on the QB with athletic DEs, you can't go wrong. The key is the QB.

But, yeah, our problem were many early on... Among them, there was absolutely no guesswork when it came to formations, tendencies, blocking, etc.

one of the things that kelly did quite often was run play action off of it along with a lot of other more traditional plays.

the more dimension you add to it, the more successful it will be....just like any other running scheme.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: option, play, read, action, pass

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users