• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,476 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

How do those two plays start? Faking the ball to the RB. That's where they're similar, thus comparable. Where they're NOT similar is the second part, which is running vs passing. I didn't say they're the same, remember.

on your first point, the defense hasn't reach to that level yet to hit the QB.

on your second point. How does the defense know whether it's a play action or read option to decide whether to hit the QB late? You see what I'm saying.

it doesn't really matter if the QB is running play action or read option, as long as he's still involved with the play in either scenario, a defensive player can knock him out.. there's nothing late about any hits involved if they aren't 10 seconds after the ball is out of the QBs hand.

#62 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,756 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

Please return to lurking for all our sakes.

#63 Rook35200

Rook35200

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationFremont, CA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

But the QB pretend to have the ball for only a split second. The defense hasn't even break its stride yet. Even the most mediocre LT/RT can hold the DE/LB for that long. After the QB gives the ball to the RB and stand to the side you can't hit him. Just like you can't hit the QB on a play-action playe. What does Parcell know that 32 OCs don't? On a pitch play you can hit the QB because the LB is already on top of him.

As I mention, for you to have enough personnels for both the RB and QB you have to bring your corners and safeties up leaving the middle wide open for the TE. And we're not talking NCAA caliber QBs. Cam would make you pay in the middle.

Damn dude you are clueless. First off when you run the Read option play their is a designed pitchman (the pitchman is the defender that the QB reads to decide wether or not to pitch/hand off the ball). This is usually the Defensive end. Well coached defensive players know that when they are left unblocked at the line of scrimmage there is a called trap play(like Power) or an option play.

I don't know where you're getting that info about not hitting the QB on read option plays. The QB at that point is a runner and not a passer. In order to stop this play the defense has to be on the same page. Most teams designate 2 players to have option or pitch responsibilities. usually the SS or CB is responsible for the RB on pitch option plays. On dive option plays were the QB decides wether or not to hand the ball off the SS is responsible for the QB. If i'm coaching the defense I want my DE to collapse on the running back everytime. I'd then have my SS walk up to the line of scrimmage to play the QB. if you do this they'd be forced to throw the ball.

#64 Rook35200

Rook35200

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationFremont, CA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

Actually, the DE is assigned to the LT/RT. So he'll be blocked. The OLB is the one that goes after either the RB or QB, whomever have the ball. He is sometimes left un-blocked on read option plays. That's why he normally looks like he is chasing a ghost on that play because he doesn't know who has the ball. On the game between the skins and cowboys the announcer was talking how the olb was chasing something that wasn't there. It was beautiful, i tell ya.

You have no clue how the read option works bruh.

#65 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

Damn dude you are clueless. First off when you run the Read option play their is a designed pitchman (the pitchman is the defender that the QB reads to decide wether or not to pitch/hand off the ball). This is usually the Defensive end. Well coached defensive players know that when they are left unblocked at the line of scrimmage there is a called trap play(like Power) or an option play.

I don't know where you're getting that info about not hitting the QB on read option plays. The QB at that point is a runner and not a passer. In order to stop this play the defense has to be on the same page. Most teams designate 2 players to have option or pitch responsibilities. usually the SS or CB is responsible for the RB on pitch option plays. On dive option plays were the QB decides wether or not to hand the ball off the SS is responsible for the QB. If i'm coaching the defense I want my DE to collapse on the running back everytime. I'd then have my SS walk up to the line of scrimmage to play the QB. if you do this they'd be forced to throw the ball.

You make this sound like there are no OL blocking. We're talking about BEHIND the line of scrimmage. No one is saying you can't hit anybody down field. What Parcells supposedly was implying is that you hit the QB behind the line of scrimmage whether he keeps or give on EVERY play. That would be easy to do if there were no offensive line blocking.

On a lot of read option plays ONLY the LB is left unblocked. His assignment is to get to the BALL(not the player). He can't get to both the QB & RB at the same time.

watch this:

Now if the QB gives to the RB instead of keeping it then that LB will go after the RB(only makes sense, right?). In Parcell's scenario who would be assigned just to hit the QB on that every play?

Unless 2 players are left unblocked. And of course that would be stupid.

#66 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

You have no clue how the read option works bruh.

This video describe exactly what I explain:

Now you can enlighten us with all your clues. lol

#67 Rook35200

Rook35200

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationFremont, CA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

You make this sound like there are no OL blocking. We're talking about BEHIND the line of scrimmage. No one is saying you can't hit anybody down field. What Parcells supposedly was implying is that you hit the QB behind the line of scrimmage whether he keeps or give on EVERY play. That would be easy to do if there were no offensive line blocking.

On a lot of read option plays ONLY the LB is left unblocked. His assignment is to get to the BALL(not the player). He can't get to both the QB & RB at the same time.

watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDu-livhN-k

Now if the QB gives to the RB instead of keeping it then that LB will go after the RB(only makes sense, right?). In Parcell's scenario who would be assigned just to hit the QB on that every play?

Unless 2 players are left unblocked. And of course that would be stupid.

have you ever played in a college option offense? I have a strong inference that you haven't. It is perfectly legal to hit the QB on every play wether he hands the ball or not. As long as the QB is not in a defenseless position (having just thrown a pass) everything else is live game.

In this video that you provided:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDu-livhN-k

Neither example shows the LB being the read. The first one uses the DE and the second one uses the DT.

As far as the LB being the read man it just depends on the blocking scheme, but I've never seen anyone run a dive/read option using the LB as the read. Like I said before USUALLY the DE is the read person because he is the easiest person to read. When you are running a play like this u want to make the QBs job as simple as possible.

#68 Rook35200

Rook35200

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationFremont, CA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

This video describe exactly what I explain:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDu-livhN-k

Now you can enlighten us with all your clues. lol

I don't need to do anything. you just did it for me. The commentator specifically says in the first play that the QB reads the DE (Defensive End) and in the second play the QB reads the DT (Defensive Tackle). There is no mention of reading the linebacker anywhere in this video troll

#69 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:29 AM

Ok, I meant the DE. But the topic was where does the defense find the extra man to hit both the QB and RB behind the line of scrimmage. Let me repeat, Parcells advocates hitting the QB on EVERY play behind the line of scrimmage. And I'm saying and the success of the read option proves you can't unless you have 2 free DE /DT roaming through the backfield untouched.

This is not about football knowledge. Just on a strict number perspective it just doesn't add up. That's why no DC is buying Parcells' patent. Lol

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: option, play, read, action, pass

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com