Photo
* - - - - 4 votes

Dave Gettlman.. meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • 29,567 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

how many hours before PT makes another thread about how gettleman is the best GM ever?

i say 20.

#17 Doyle

Doyle

Headed to the county line

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,722 posts
  • LocationRiverboat Rivera

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Choo Choo!!!

#18 beastson

beastson

Cam

• HUDDLER
  • 8,669 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

I also didn't like his own guys comment. I know that was one of the reasons JR hired him

I didn't get the idea about Rivera as some has. I got the idea that if things not working, he's definitely moving forward is what I do like

His FA comments were fine to me. Build through the draft and add FA if and when you need it, if you couldn't build through the draft

#19 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,622 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

The whole "Hurney II" thing is just silly.

I'll expand on what a PFT commenter said:

Gettleman is just like Hurney, if you take away 25 years of experience as a successful talent evaluator, being part of 6 conference champions and having 3 Super Bowl rings.

#20 SuperLego5

SuperLego5

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

PantherTrain enters/creates a thread, says something likely to cause outrage then leaves, never to be seen in said thread again. He's blatantly a troll, stop pandering to him.

#21 Gabeking

Gabeking

• HUDDLER
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

The whole "Hurney II" thing is just silly.

I'll expand on what a PFT commenter said:

Gettleman is just like Hurney, if you take away 25 years of experience as a successful talent evaluator, being part of 6 conference champions and having 3 Super Bowl rings.

I totally agree but panthertrain should never be taken seriously

#22 jtm

jtm

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

How has it worked out in Philly and Tampa with all their high priced free agents?

Gettleman didn't say he wouldn't go after high priced FAs, he said it isn't his preference bc it is a big gamble. High priced FAs please the fans but don't work out more than they do. For every high priced FA that worked, I can name 10 that didn't.

#23 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

JASON VERRETT 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 15,518 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

I'd take another Hurney 2.0. He got us Cam and Luke in the last two Drafts.

Our poor seasons came from Chico not Hurney.

Last but not least, you make too much threads

#24 X-Clown

X-Clown

Positive Polly

• HUDDLER
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

This is the same poster who said that we would be a playoff team if Derek Anderson was the starting QB this past season, so.....

#25 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

Posted Image

All aboard! Ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaa!

Ay, Ay, Ay, Ay, Ay, Ay, Ay

Trollin, but that's how it goes
Hundreds of Huddlers living as foes
Maybe it's not too late
To learn how to log off
And forget how to log on

Mental derp stop posting
He's a bitter sham
He's going off the rails He's Panther Train

Let's Go!

I've listened to Mr. Scot
I've listened to Zod
I've watched all the dropouts
Who make their own threads
One person conditioned to rule and control
The Huddle sells it and you live the role

Dumb threads still screaming
Driving me insane

I know that threads are going wrong for you
You gotta read what you're typing
Yeah

Mental derp stop posting
He's a bitter sham

#26 NavyPF4L

NavyPF4L

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

I know I will catch some flak for this but I have to be perfectly honest, after watching his presser, im not so sure im sold on Gettleman. First of all, he seems to have the same "avoid high end FAs, only build through the draft" philosphy Hurney had. I was hoping we would have a GM that signs good FAs. We all saw how well "keeping our own worked." We could have signed Vincent Jackson instead of Stewart and solidified a 1-2 punch WR tandem in Smitty and VJax.

I also dont like the idea he plans on keeping a bulk of our front office intact instead of bringing in his own guys, this also concerns me. He also didnt come across as willing to make wholesale changes that this team needs a lot of. Im not so sure he will make the tough decisions when it comes to guys like Gamble, Gross, Beason, DWill etc.

I also dont like the fact he seems to be behind Rivera, I wouldnt be shocked even if we miss the playoffs that Gettleman will fire Rivera. The way he talked about Rivera, it didnt seem like he was in a rush to part ways with him, even if he screws up next season.

All in all, I really cant diatinguish how Gettleman differs from Hurney in any meaningful way. Im sorry, ive learned the hardway with Rivera that actions speak louder than words.

Im just wondering.. Does anybody really care what this guy thinks? Especially after reading a few of his posts already? Here's something to start understanding first.. It's been a few days.. You've seen nothing and know less about the man.. Yet you're going off assumptions based off of one presser... Really? C'mon.

#27 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 16,516 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

Stupid fuging thread by an even dumber poster.

#28 poorboysrev

poorboysrev

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

Gettleman's biggest strength is his personnel knowledge. 25 years worth of grading players on teams, FA's, and college players. I think that is why he is ok with our scouting department "As is" right now. He even said when in doubt he will be in a room with the clicker watching film and evaluating. Clearly he trusts his own judgement to make the right final decisions on players. That's because he has actual experience grading players unlike Hurney. He also said we would move forward and evaluate as he goes, he never said every dumbass in this office is safe. At this point how many staff members do you think he's actually had time to speak with? How are you gonna fault the guy for deciding to get to know the current staff first before deciding who needs to go?
Here's an idea how about we actually wait and see what kind of moves he makes before labeling him Hurney 2.0 off of his press conference.

Also PantherTrain this might help with your Panthers frustration...

Step 1: Place hands on either side of your ass
Step 2: Push until your head pops free
Step 3: Wash head, brush teeth
Step 4: Buy 1 way ticket to St Louis

#29 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • 29,567 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

i don't think he's a troll. i mean he may say he is at one point, but i honestly believe that he believes everything he posts. i think he really is just....well...i'll just say his driveway doesn't quite meet the road.

#30 Rubi

Rubi

Squid Smasher

• HUDDLER
  • 2,281 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

Wow.

Just.....wow.

I said this exact quote to someone else in another thread lol

On topic though... this guy has long time NFL experience as an evaluator for Super Bowl teams. That makes him an upgrade over Hurney's beat writing experience. What else is there to discuss on this comparison?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.