Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What if?

100 posts in this topic

Posted

Please list all the evidence you have that back up a God especially one with all the attributes that Christians claim there God has.

Come sit on Santa's lap and tell him what you want for Christmas. ;)

Posted

Control, Fear and Peer Pressure

From my observations those are the 3 main reasons my family and friends are Christians.

Posted

And, for the record, I am the son of a preacher and grew up in the church. That will give you a different perspective on organized religion. Luckily, I wasn't forced into following and was given the freedom to form my own opinions, draw my own conclusions and walk my own path. For that, I'll always be grateful.

Posted

And, for the record, I am the son of a preacher and grew up in the church. That will give you a different perspective on organized religion. Luckily, I wasn't forced into following and was given the freedom to form my own opinions, draw my own conclusions and walk my own path. For that, I'll always be grateful.

lucky bastard!

My parents would flip as well as most family members and many of my old friends. I just keep it to myself for the most part.

Posted

I'll try to answer all and not get to "Quote" heavy. Hope you'll forgive :)

Proof that God exists:

I will concede God cannot be proven through empirical evidence; however he cannot be disproved through empirical evidence either. However there are logical arguments one can make.

Since it is apparent that the Universe it not eternal, and since likewise it is apparent that the Universe could not have created itself, the only remaining alternative is that the Universe was created by something, or Someone, that: (a) existed before it, i.e., some eternal, uncaused First Cause; (B) is superior to it—since the created cannot be superior to the creator; and © is of a different nature, since the finite, contingent Universe of matter is unable to explain itself (see Jackson and Carroll, n.d., 2:98-154).

In connection with this, another important fact should be considered. If there ever had been a time when nothing existed, then there would be nothing now. It is a self-evident truth that nothing produces nothing. In view of this, since something exists now, it must follow logically that something has existed forever.

There is more out there for those who Want to find it.

...As to the attributes of God; its hard to present evidence of that to someone who doesn't believe in God. One step at a time :)

As to Fear and Doctors, the point I was trying to make is that Doctors are not held up as fear mongers because they tell you that you're sick. The followers of Christ simply believe that Man was made good and then broken because of the choices that were made. To be fixed, you need Christ. IMO that's not fear mongering and when I am telling people about Christ, avoiding hell is not the ultimate goal.

Also, interesting theory on Galvatron , but he's just the toy that's sitting on my desk at work. :D

Posted

The fact that the universe is expanding leaves room for a "god" but it isn't evidence for one.

I believed in God for 20 years, I see no evidence of a loving all powerful god.

edit: As for needing Jesus to be fixed. I know many people with "jesus" that are more "broken" then any atheist/agnostic I know.

Posted

Jesus is the devil. That's why you are all forced to go through him to get to your god.

</pot stir>

Posted

The fact that the universe is expanding leaves room for a "god" but it isn't evidence for one.

I believed in God for 20 years, I see no evidence of a loving all powerful god.

edit: As for needing Jesus to be fixed. I know many people with "jesus" that are more "broken" then any atheist/agnostic I know.

I know them too. It seems that, unfortunately, some use that 'relationship' with Jesus as a crutch to do terrible things and then just say they are sorry in church and carry on feeling like they've been forgiven.

Posted

A personal observation from people watching over the years is that religion is a kinder, gentler crutch than drugs or alcohol for many people.

It's an easy way to get out of thinking about the idea that we all die and that's it.

It's a nice communal experience, and there's usually juicy gossip going around.

It can be a great way to get yourself to believe that your opinions are better in some way than others.

Posted

A personal observation from people watching over the years is that religion is a kinder, gentler crutch than drugs or alcohol for many people.

It's an easy way to get out of thinking about the idea that we all die and that's it.

It's a nice communal experience, and there's usually juicy gossip going around.

It can be a great way to get yourself to believe that your opinions are better in some way than others.

And there is the control aspect. None of us really control when we are going to die, if we our parents get cancer if our child is born defective. But Christians beleive they can control it with prayer. though we all know that despite what Jesus said about prayer that prayers don't always "get answered" and when they don't they just call it God's will and see it as God doing what is in there best interest. its a win win situation. who wouldnt want an all powerful being looking out for your best interest?!!!

its delusional but comfy

Posted

I know them too. It seems that, unfortunately, some use that 'relationship' with Jesus as a crutch to do terrible things and then just say they are sorry in church and carry on feeling like they've been forgiven.

That is truly awful and is a choice that people have. However I would submit that those with a true relationship are changed in a real and permanent way. That of course doesn't mean we're perfect, but being perfected.

Posted

And there is the control aspect. None of us really control when we are going to die, if we our parents get cancer if our child is born defective. But Christians beleive they can control it with prayer. though we all know that despite what Jesus said about prayer that prayers don't always "get answered" and when they don't they just call it God's will and see it as God doing what is in there best interest. its a win win situation. who wouldnt want an all powerful being looking out for your best interest?!!!

its delusional but comfy

In America, there is a contingent of cultural Christians; it has become something that is passed down from parents to children like those born Jewish. But there are those who truly know Christ and have a changed life. The idea that its comfy here is true. We are very blessed to have the freedom to worship. However those who worship in secret in Iran, China, Cuba, etc. are the ones who would dispute that following Christ is comfortable.

I would say that what is in our best interest eternally is rarely what is comfortable and prayers are always answered; sometimes the answer is "No"