Photo
- - - - -

Hey Luc I got your proof that Roy is cleaner than all others

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:35 AM

http://www.oregonliv...eaches_the.html

#2 Luc21

Luc21

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:52 AM

Hahahaha....Unicar, you Duke homer, you. Hahaha.... Can't wait for the spin on that one from Htar.

I was a columnist covering basketball in California when Kansas-bound DeShawn Stevenson went from a 450 on the SAT to an 1150. The Educational Testing Service noted, among other irregularities, that Stevenson, a Californian, took the test in North Carolina.

I passed it once," Stevenson insisted. "I can pass it again."

Roy Williams, who was then the Jayhawks coach, insisted Stevenson got a raw deal. He made a case that we were talking about a kid who worked hard and dramatically improved himself academically. And I wished it were so because, if true, we'd have a documented case of a sensational athlete getting serious about bettering himself in other aspects of his life. But when Stevenson was asked to duplicate the results on a second test, he couldn't even get a 650.

So he entered the NBA draft and the Utah Jazz made him a first-round draft pick. He's still in the league with the Washington Wizards.

#3 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:10 PM

I miss the part where Stephenson attended Kansas. Can you help me out there? It sounded like Roy thought the kid was sincere and attempting to do things right...Maybe that wasn't the case as I think Roy backed off when that last SAT came out.

#4 monstercat

monstercat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:24 PM

Good grief Unicar, have you ever made it through an entire day without thinking about the Tar Heels?

#5 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:33 PM

Good grief Unicar, have you ever made it through an entire day without thinking about the Tar Heels?

It's typical wuffie derangement syndrome. Dook is their proxy ally against the Heels as they can't beat them, they root for the Devils. If Roy wins 3 more titles and K never sniffs another F4, he'll swear K is the greatest ever - that derangement disease is a funny thing.

#6 X-Clown

X-Clown

Positive Polly

• HUDDLER
  • 5,357 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:59 PM

I miss the part where Stephenson attended Kansas. Can you help me out there? It sounded like Roy thought the kid was sincere and attempting to do things right...Maybe that wasn't the case as I think Roy backed off when that last SAT came out.

He committed to Kansas, this is a fact. He couldn't attend due to his SAT score being below the minimum requirement of 820, so he went to the NBA. That had nothing to do with Roy "backing off".

Edited by X-Clown, 08 June 2009 - 01:01 PM.

#7 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:28 PM

He committed to Kansas, this is a fact. He couldn't attend due to his SAT score being below the minimum requirement of 820, so he went to the NBA. That had nothing to do with Roy "backing off".

You may be right...I don't follow Kansas recruiting...The fact is that Ole Roy couldn't cheat that kid into the program, because RULE R RULES! I'd say they were followed.

#8 Luc21

Luc21

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:37 PM

You may be right...I don't follow Kansas recruiting...The fact is that Ole Roy couldn't cheat that kid into the program, because RULE R RULES! I'd say they were followed.

No they weren't followed. If rules were followed, they wouldn't have had to step in. However, the NCAA had to step in. See: Georgia Bulldogs, Robert Dozier. The whole point is the Bulldogs backed off Dozier after the same thing happened due to his SATs. Kansas and Roy did not back off, the NCAA did not let him qualify. There is a difference.

And for knowing so much "behind the scenes" info on Roy Williams (Team USA's top coaching target) it is weird you wouldn't know about this particular story.

#9 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:41 PM

No they weren't followed. If rules were followed, they wouldn't have had to step in. However, the NCAA had to step in. See: Georgia Bulldogs, Robert Dozier. The whole point is the Bulldogs backed off Dozier after the same thing happened due to his SATs. Kansas and Roy did not back off, the NCAA did not let him qualify. There is a difference.

And for knowing so much "behind the scenes" info on Roy Williams (Team USA's top coaching target) it is weird you wouldn't know about this particular story.

So Kansas was going to allow Roy and Kansas Admissions to admit Stephenson?

And I only know what I read here and there...I'm not in the Roy Williams loop...You act as if I made the entire thing up. I read that he was contacted, didn't like the experience with Brown, and declined...What is so difficult about any of that?

#10 Luc21

Luc21

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:59 PM

So Kansas was going to allow Roy and Kansas Admissions to admit Stephenson?

And I only know what I read here and there...I'm not in the Roy Williams loop...You act as if I made the entire thing up. I read that he was contacted, didn't like the experience with Brown, and declined...What is so difficult about any of that?

Roy was either A) a complete idiot, to believe that his test scores could go up that much. If you do any research on the issue it is known fact that people do not jump their SATs up that much. And yes Roy should know this considering recruiting kids that can qualify is a pretty important part of his job. B) turning a blind eye to what was happening, by playing the "good ole roy" card and siding with the kid that he was tryin' really hard to get better and he put his mind to it....although, that didnt work since he had to retake the test and failed like the first time.

I am going to put my money on B, because, if anything Roy is not dumb. He is a very crafty person. You don't recruit top notch talent, being an idiot, but you can by being slick.

As for you continuing to reference this article you read that said Roy turned down the Team USA job. It is difficult to understand that, because that is like me saying, I read where Dean Smith said Coach K is the greatest college basketball coach of all time. I don't know where I read it, but I know I did. Believe me. Why do people always ask for links on messageboards? Because people make up nonsense all the time.

You told everyone on here that Roy Williams was asked to coach the National Team and turned down the opportunity, therefor, they turned to Coach K. No one else has ever heard this before, so we simply asked to see it, but you can not support this arguement with any type of facts. I have searched the internet and can not find anything either. So, my question to you is, why is this so difficult for you to understand?

#11 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:08 PM

Roy was either A) a complete idiot, to believe that his test scores could go up that much. If you do any research on the issue it is known fact that people do not jump their SATs up that much. And yes Roy should know this considering recruiting kids that can qualify is a pretty important part of his job. B) turning a blind eye to what was happening, by playing the "good ole roy" card and siding with the kid that he was tryin' really hard to get better and he put his mind to it....although, that didnt work since he had to retake the test and failed like the first time.

I am going to put my money on B, because, if anything Roy is not dumb. He is a very crafty person. You don't recruit top notch talent, being an idiot, but you can by being slick.

As for you continuing to reference this article you read that said Roy turned down the Team USA job. It is difficult to understand that, because that is like me saying, I read where Dean Smith said Coach K is the greatest college basketball coach of all time. I don't know where I read it, but I know I did. Believe me. Why do people always ask for links on messageboards? Because people make up nonsense all the time.

You told everyone on here that Roy Williams was asked to coach the National Team and turned down the opportunity, therefor, they turned to Coach K. No one else has ever heard this before, so we simply asked to see it, but you can not support this arguement with any type of facts. I have searched the internet and can not find anything either. So, my question to you is, why is this so difficult for you to understand?

I can't find reference to it either...I'd love to splash it up here...It might have been an interview...Can't recall...either way, the sentiment that USA Basketball turned to K as " A SAVIOUR OF USA BBALL" is not accurate either...Remember, K got a Bronze for the hodge-podge method that pissed Larry Brown off so much to begin with. K, and USA basketball took the long term approach and applied appropriate pressure to the big names to play...This was the right approach and it worked. It was also the approach that Brown wanted and got re-buked for...Roy did not like the entire process and was asked, and declined. That was the jist...Believe it or not - makes no difference to me.

#12 monstercat

monstercat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:13 PM

All I know, is that I'm not gonna lose a wink of sleep over anything that happened while Roy was at Kansas. I don't care about that anymore than I care about what coach K did while he was at the Naval Academy, which is not at all.

Damn I'm ready for football to start.

#13 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:17 PM

All I know, is that I'm not gonna lose a wink of sleep over anything that happened while Roy was at Kansas. I don't care about that anymore than I care about what coach K did while he was at the Naval Academy, which is not at all.

Damn I'm ready for football to start.

Me too.:cheers2:

#14 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,696 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:23 PM

That's good cuz K never coached at Annapolis.

#15 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:38 PM

That's good cuz K never coached at Annapolis.

It was West Point, I think.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com