Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nc republicans propose poo policy, as is tradition

53 posts in this topic

Posted

NC does in fact have more road miles than most comparable sized states, plus we do have much, much better road maintenance than at least our neighboring states. Compare NC rural roads to SC rural roads... huge difference in quality.

That's because you're comparing with SC. I have a lot of family around Hartsfield and Darlington. Those are the only rural areas I know in SC. They aren't that bad in that area.

Still- I've been to all but a few states, lived in 5 states and three other countries. I've also lived in rural Wilkes County. I think NC's roads are pretty bad. Rural or otherwise.

Have you driven I-85 S into Charlotte recently? Then merged from a 60 MPH zone to the 55 MPH I-77 via the 35 MPH ramp? Said ramp merges to the left lane of I-77, so you've gotta fight through several lanes of traffic if you want to take the fast approaching I-277 ramp, which is on the right. That exit is also a 35 MPH ramp that merges to the left lane.

What idiot designed that?

Just looked it up... NC is 16th in total road miles but only 28th in total area. Only Pennsylvania and Ohio are below us in area and higher in road miles on those lists.

I'd like to see a compaison of the quality of roads.

Posted

That's because you're comparing with SC. I have a lot of family around Hartsfield and Darlington. Those are the only rural areas I know in SC. They aren't that bad in that area.

Still- I've been to all but a few states, lived in 5 states and three other countries. I've also lived in rural Wilkes County. I think NC's roads are pretty bad. Rural or otherwise.

Have you driven I-85 S into Charlotte recently? Then merged from a 60 MPH zone to the 55 MPH I-77 via the 35 MPH ramp? Said ramp merges to the left lane of I-77, so you've gotta fight through several lanes of traffic if you want to take the fast approaching I-277 ramp, which is on the right. That exit is also a 35 MPH ramp that merges to the left lane.

What idiot designed that?

I'd like to see a compaison of the quality of roads.

I doubt you'll find any comparison as to quality... I've seen a pretty major difference overall of the quality of roads, both rural, highway and interstate in NC vs the regional states. That's obviously just my opinion.

Now, as for good planning, smart design, etc... that's lacking in a lot of ways throughout the entire state. Sometimes they do stuff that's so mind bogglingly stupid it's hard to imagine.

Posted

I know people that work in the DOT and are engineers that get contracts with NCDOT, and yes...NC is either 2nd or 3rd in paved roads in the US.

Posted

Yeah it's the whole thing where NC maintains all of the county roads unlike most states.

NCDOT actually has their sh*t really together compared with other agencies. No complaints from me.

Posted

Yeah it's the whole thing where NC maintains all of the county roads unlike most states.

NCDOT actually has their sh*t really together compared with other agencies. No complaints from me.

Psshhhhh... what do you know about engineering?

Posted

pi r squared, I forgot the rest of engineering school.

Posted

I googled quality of roads by states and found a trucker forum. Who is better than truckers to give a comparison?

To my surprise NC did show up on a few best lists. SC, Arkansas and Michigan showed up on virtually every worst list.

Posted

I googled quality of roads by states and found a trucker forum. Who is better than truckers to give a comparison?

To my surprise NC did show up on a few best lists. SC, Arkansas and Michigan showed up on virtually every worst list.

Well obviously the northern states are at a disadvantage due to ice/snow, but overall SC's road budget is pretty thin. They just don't put the money in roads that NC does, probably because they just don't have it.

Posted

SCDOT designs their roads and bridges in metric. METRIC

End result: The engineer designs in imperial. Converts units to metric. Hands to contractor. Contractor converts back to imperial. Dimensions end up being inexact.

Posted

SCDOT designs their roads and bridges in metric. METRIC

End result: The engineer designs in imperial. Converts units to metric. Hands to contractor. Contractor converts back to imperial. Dimensions end up being inexact.

You sure about that? Not saying it's wrong, but I know all of the mapping data we provide SCDOT is SC State Plane International Feet. SC is one of only a handful of states that use the International Foot measure.

Posted

You sure about that? Not saying it's wrong, but I know all of the mapping data we provide SCDOT is SC State Plane International Feet. SC is one of only a handful of states that use the International Foot measure.

God I wish we could get our poo together and actually agree on one unit. It can't be that difficult could it? I can understand projections being different but come on we can't even agree on what a foot is?

Posted

God I wish we could get our poo together and actually agree on one unit. It can't be that difficult could it? I can understand projections being different but come on we can't even agree on what a foot is?

Never happen... good thought though.

Of course in regards to this specific thing, as long as the state is using the same measure internally it's kind of irrelevant. States don't really share data that much and if they do, it can be projected to a geographic coordinate system like WGS84, or to UTM which is what the Feds prefer...