nc republicans propose poo policy, as is tradition

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#11 NanceUSMC

NanceUSMC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

I'll let you figure this one out on your own.

How would a tax on groceries (something everyone buys) be more of a burden on poor people

Not sure exactly how this compares to what is in place out here... I haven't researched it all that close... When I moved out here, it was nice to take home more of my paycheck each week, and not to have to worry about state filings... I can agree that the upper tier may not be pulling enough weight when strictly looking at sales taxes and grocery taxes, but I don't know that I agree it's a burden turning a grocery bill that would've cost $102 into one that costs $108, particularly given that take home income increases... It's possible you and I simply have different definitions of what a burden is...

#12 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

SUPPORTER

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

I have no issue with this but agree that there should be more consumption tax on luxury items and less on basic food and necessities.

#13 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

SUPPORTER

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

Yes we may need to tax the rich a little more but it wouldn't hurt to broaden the tax base a little.

#14 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

i've said it before and I'll say it again," Pols should have to wear thier contributors logos like a patch on thier suits the same as nascar drivers, so that when they speak we know who we're listening to." Consumption taxes give incentives to get a job. i like that

Would've been pretty awkward to see Ron Paul giving a speech with big Stormfront.org and White Nationalist patches on his suit.

#15 Chimera

Chimera

Not Bant

HUDDLER

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

I don't mind the consumption based tax system at all. But taxing groceries is already ridiculous, now the plan is to quadruple down?

I don't think NC has the economy for this type of tax system. I think you need a stable, growing economy to make this type if change.

I loved the consumption based tax system when I lived in Washington state... No state income tax. No annual vehicle tax. No sales tax on groceries. No corporate tax.

But the sales tax was a little high. Smokers were paying like $80 for a carton. Gas tax was high (but lower than NC's current rate). And get a traffic citation there. I dare you. When I was there, texting while driving was close to a $500 fine, flicking a cigarette out your window $1100.

#16 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

HUDDLER

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

You can't just say no sales tax on groceries because that is an open door to gaming the system. You have to tax groceries but offer a prebate to cover it.

#17 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

HUDDLER

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

Transplants have complained for decades here in NC about paying tax on food...while under democrat rule. Rid of income/corporate tax and shift to consumption and all hell naw...that's crazy!

#18 NanceUSMC

NanceUSMC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

I don't mind the consumption based tax system at all. But taxing groceries is already ridiculous, now the plan is to quadruple down?

I don't think NC has the economy for this type of tax system. I think you need a stable, growing economy to make this type if change.

I loved the consumption based tax system when I lived in Washington state... No state income tax. No annual vehicle tax. No sales tax on groceries. No corporate tax.

But the sales tax was a little high. Smokers were paying like $80 for a carton. Gas tax was high (but lower than NC's current rate). And get a traffic citation there. I dare you. When I was there, texting while driving was close to a $500 fine, flicking a cigarette out your window $1100.

Sounds very similar to what's out here in Tx... A simple traffic ticket (such as turning left at the wrong time of day) out here could run you well north of 3 to 5 hundred... And in some cases, that is ANNUAL for 3 years...

#19 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Locationnorth carolina
HUDDLER

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

Would've been pretty awkward to see Ron Paul giving a speech with big Stormfront.org and White Nationalist patches on his suit.

this could be the best way to achieve gov transparency, huh?

#20 natty

natty

HUDDLER

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

Not sure exactly how this compares to what is in place out here... I haven't researched it all that close... When I moved out here, it was nice to take home more of my paycheck each week, and not to have to worry about state filings... I can agree that the upper tier may not be pulling enough weight when strictly looking at sales taxes and grocery taxes, but I don't know that I agree it's a burden turning a grocery bill that would've cost $102 into one that costs $108, particularly given that take home income increases... It's possible you and I simply have different definitions of what a burden is...

It's about proportions, not absolute amounts. The poor pay a higher proportion of their income on groceries than the rich thus increasing those taxes affect them more. Yes, everyone would benefit from no income tax, but rich people would benefit proportionally more.

Simple example: 2 people pay $100 in groceries per month, one brings in $10,000 a month(person A), the other $1000 a month(person B). They both pay 8% in income taxes, 0 tax on groceries. A pays $800 in taxes, leaving $9200 to use on $100 worth of food - so they pay 1% of their income on food. B pays $80 in taxes, leaving $920 to use on $100 worth of food - they pay 10.8% of their income on food. Now remove the 8% income tax and convert that to groceries. Now A has $10000 to pay for $108 worth of food - 1.1% of their income. B now has $1000 to pay for $108 worth of food - 11.7% of their income. So rich person A spends .1% more for food while poor person B spends .9% more for food. They both have more money regardless(by not paying income taxes) but that's not the point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users