52 replies to this topic

#16 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,126 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

You can't just say no sales tax on groceries because that is an open door to gaming the system. You have to tax groceries but offer a prebate to cover it.

#17 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,662 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

Transplants have complained for decades here in NC about paying tax on food...while under democrat rule. Rid of income/corporate tax and shift to consumption and all hell naw...that's crazy!

#18 NanceUSMC

NanceUSMC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

I don't mind the consumption based tax system at all. But taxing groceries is already ridiculous, now the plan is to quadruple down?

I don't think NC has the economy for this type of tax system. I think you need a stable, growing economy to make this type if change.

I loved the consumption based tax system when I lived in Washington state... No state income tax. No annual vehicle tax. No sales tax on groceries. No corporate tax.

But the sales tax was a little high. Smokers were paying like $80 for a carton. Gas tax was high (but lower than NC's current rate). And get a traffic citation there. I dare you. When I was there, texting while driving was close to a $500 fine, flicking a cigarette out your window $1100.

Sounds very similar to what's out here in Tx... A simple traffic ticket (such as turning left at the wrong time of day) out here could run you well north of 3 to 5 hundred... And in some cases, that is ANNUAL for 3 years...

#19 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

Would've been pretty awkward to see Ron Paul giving a speech with big Stormfront.org and White Nationalist patches on his suit.

this could be the best way to achieve gov transparency, huh?

#20 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,767 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

Not sure exactly how this compares to what is in place out here... I haven't researched it all that close... When I moved out here, it was nice to take home more of my paycheck each week, and not to have to worry about state filings... I can agree that the upper tier may not be pulling enough weight when strictly looking at sales taxes and grocery taxes, but I don't know that I agree it's a burden turning a grocery bill that would've cost $102 into one that costs $108, particularly given that take home income increases... It's possible you and I simply have different definitions of what a burden is...

It's about proportions, not absolute amounts. The poor pay a higher proportion of their income on groceries than the rich thus increasing those taxes affect them more. Yes, everyone would benefit from no income tax, but rich people would benefit proportionally more.

Simple example: 2 people pay $100 in groceries per month, one brings in $10,000 a month(person A), the other $1000 a month(person B). They both pay 8% in income taxes, 0 tax on groceries. A pays $800 in taxes, leaving $9200 to use on $100 worth of food - so they pay 1% of their income on food. B pays $80 in taxes, leaving $920 to use on $100 worth of food - they pay 10.8% of their income on food. Now remove the 8% income tax and convert that to groceries. Now A has $10000 to pay for $108 worth of food - 1.1% of their income. B now has $1000 to pay for $108 worth of food - 11.7% of their income. So rich person A spends .1% more for food while poor person B spends .9% more for food. They both have more money regardless(by not paying income taxes) but that's not the point.

#21 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,915 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

This obviously doesn't favor the far right's interests at the expense of the common man. Nope not at all.

#22 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,570 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

Make way Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana, here comes the North Carolina GOP/Chamber of Commerce Express! Happily cutting taxes for the affluent, while creating an economic environment that encourages more low paying jobs with meager benefits for everyone else. It won't be long till the state GOP playbook is opened w/cuts in public education, health programs and environmental standards. Don't worry though, there will always be enough money to legislate conservative morality.

#23 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,196 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

It's about proportions, not absolute amounts. The poor pay a higher proportion of their income on groceries than the rich thus increasing those taxes affect them more. Yes, everyone would benefit from no income tax, but rich people would benefit proportionally more.

Simple example: 2 people pay $100 in groceries per month, one brings in $10,000 a month(person A), the other $1000 a month(person B). They both pay 8% in income taxes, 0 tax on groceries. A pays $800 in taxes, leaving $9200 to use on $100 worth of food - so they pay 1% of their income on food. B pays $80 in taxes, leaving $920 to use on $100 worth of food - they pay 10.8% of their income on food. Now remove the 8% income tax and convert that to groceries. Now A has $10000 to pay for $108 worth of food - 1.1% of their income. B now has $1000 to pay for $108 worth of food - 11.7% of their income. So rich person A spends .1% more for food while poor person B spends .9% more for food. They both have more money regardless(by not paying income taxes) but that's not the point.

I agree with you that the higher tax on groceries would cause the poor to pay a higher proportion in taxes. However, I don't think someone making $120k per year and someone making $12k per year would be buying the same $ value of groceries every month.

With no income tax, you do have to tax somewhere.....and I believe it shoudl be higher taxes for luxury purchases with lower taxes for necessities.

#24 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

Freddy Frashbear

• HUDDLER
  • 14,665 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

One of the things I like most about Texas, is the lack of a state income tax... It'll have to be explained to me a bit more how this sticks it to the poor... Unless rich people don't buy groceries or go shopping...

one of the most poverty-stricken states in the nation

#25 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

Transplants have complained for decades here in NC about paying tax on food...while under democrat rule. Rid of income/corporate tax and shift to consumption and all hell naw...that's crazy!

What gets me is how much groceries cost here. Meat and dairy product prices doubled and in some cases tripled when I moved across the country. Add sales tax on top. WTF?

And the annual vehicle tax.... On top of the highest gas taxes.... While pushing for tolls.... And still receiving stimulus money..... Oh hell naw. Somebody better start auditing.

#26 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,279 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

iirc part of the reason the gas tax is really high is because north carolina has a lot of roads to maintain

#27 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:17 AM

iirc part of the reason the gas tax is really high is because north carolina has a lot of roads to maintain

Every state has a lot of roads to maintain. But most states have city and county roads. NC doesn't. The state maintains all roads.
Still - that annual vehicle tax that goes to your county? what does it fund?

#28 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,446 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

the reason nc gas taxes are so high is the 1950's funding allocation method they have.

and i think in a counterintuitive way, part of the tax reform in this thread to topple that old dinosaur that Eastern NC has had a stranglehold on with misuse of highway robbery funding.

#29 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:37 AM

I don't mind the higher gas tax. We have a lot of narrow roads (should be one lane, but painted for two) that are laid to the lay of the land and are not graded. Those roads need to be rebuilt for sure and it's going to cost. Maybe this time they'll use actual traffic engineers.

#30 FireMarshallBill

FireMarshallBill

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:19 AM

I'll let you figure this one out on your own.

How would a tax on groceries (something everyone buys) be more of a burden on poor people

In Texas we virtually no taxes in a grocery store.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com