Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,970 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

SCDOT designs their roads and bridges in metric. METRIC

End result: The engineer designs in imperial. Converts units to metric. Hands to contractor. Contractor converts back to imperial. Dimensions end up being inexact.

You sure about that? Not saying it's wrong, but I know all of the mapping data we provide SCDOT is SC State Plane International Feet. SC is one of only a handful of states that use the International Foot measure.

#47 The_Light_Brigade

The_Light_Brigade

Theirs but to do and die:

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • LocationCaddyshack

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

You sure about that? Not saying it's wrong, but I know all of the mapping data we provide SCDOT is SC State Plane International Feet. SC is one of only a handful of states that use the International Foot measure.

God I wish we could get our poo together and actually agree on one unit. It can't be that difficult could it? I can understand projections being different but come on we can't even agree on what a foot is?

#48 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,970 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

God I wish we could get our poo together and actually agree on one unit. It can't be that difficult could it? I can understand projections being different but come on we can't even agree on what a foot is?

Never happen... good thought though.

Of course in regards to this specific thing, as long as the state is using the same measure internally it's kind of irrelevant. States don't really share data that much and if they do, it can be projected to a geographic coordinate system like WGS84, or to UTM which is what the Feds prefer...

#49 The_Light_Brigade

The_Light_Brigade

Theirs but to do and die:

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • LocationCaddyshack

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

Never happen... good thought though.

Of course in regards to this specific thing, as long as the state is using the same measure internally it's kind of irrelevant. States don't really share data that much and if they do, it can be projected to a geographic coordinate system like WGS84, or to UTM which is what the Feds prefer...

Why can't the world be flat?!

#50 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,970 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

Why can't the world be flat?!

People would fall off.

#51 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,832 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

People would fall off.

That or the handrail industry would be booming.

#52 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,091 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

I like it, but don't like the tax increase on non prepared food.

Make the tax high on alcohol, tobacco, gambling, etc....take food out of it.

#53 Davis83

Davis83

Rebelling since 1753

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

I'd think that many of the lower income people would not be too severely impacted by this - majority of low income people receive food stamps or WIC. That would neutralize some of the cost increase for food items.

Also, those of us that are thrifty would not see much of an increase - while those that are of higher income will still be buying the better cuts of beef and named brands = they would pay more.

I'm not saying its perfect, but it does actually tax something that everyone uses = thus even taxing to an extent.
I'm pretty sure I could come out better off both financially and healthier with this idea - want to see a decline in obesity? Increase the taxes on coke, pepsi, chips and cookies and watch people make choices.

I would agree maybe higher tax rates on luxuries. Maybe on vehicles over a certain price, appliances over a certain price...etc. I mean if you can afford to buy a Cadillac Escalade, then you can afford a higher sales tax...... or maybe settle for the Tahoe instead. Do you really need a Keurig? or will Mr. Coffee do for you? Do you really need to new fridge with all the bells and whistles? Maybe that one that just has water and ice in the door is fine? Really want that big diamond - then pay up!

As bad as I hate the gas tax, I can live with it as long as I40 and I95 don't turn into I20 in SC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com