#46 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,922 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

He is great with quarterbacks, that's his thing. We have personnel to adjust to what he wants to do, and I believe he would work wonders with Cam.

Oh, we do not have the right personnel for a West Coast Offense, and I'm not just talking about Newton.

Our receiving corps and tight end group are dominated by longball guys. And honestly our O-Line isn't really built for that either.

We'd need a major retooling to run that kind of attack effectively.

#47 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

Jackson has to be the choice. He has the best resume and fits our system better than anyone else and allows Shula to continue to work with Cam.

#48 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• HUDDLER
  • 5,079 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Anyway we could just hook a game console up to a headset and have Madden call the plays?

#49 Verge

Verge

Huddle Troll Legend

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

Oh, we do not have the right personnel for a West Coast Offense, and I'm not just talking about Newton.

Our receiving corps and tight end group are dominated by longball guys. And honestly our O-Line isn't really built for that either.

He would run a different style of west coast I imagine. Think 2004-2008 Eagles. We have the WR that can take the screens and go for bombs, we have a pass catching RB, etc etc. Not that I think it will be pure west coast, Shurmur can obviously adjust.

#50 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,393 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

I think Jackson or Shula would do a good job. It is funny that people go back to 1999 to say Shula wasn't very good in Tampa so there should be issues. That was 13 years ago. I wonder if he has learned anything since then?? Seems to have done a pretty good job with Newton. Didn't Rivera say that much of Cam's development was created to Shula's work with him. If Jackson takes the job and Shula leaves because he was not given the job we will be replacing him as well. Who knows if the next guy would be better than Shula. Might be another Rip Scherer who actually hurt Jake more than he helped him.

I don't know if it applies to you, but I've seen people making this "I bet he's learned something after sucking 13 years ago" who also make the argument "Don't get Cowher, the game left him behind since he coached 6 years ago."

#51 X-Clown

X-Clown

Positive Polly

• HUDDLER
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

Not to disparage Whisenhunt, but in fairness that was against John "my cornerbacks are assigned to the left and right side no matter where the other team's best receiver lines up" Fox.

That's ignoring the fact that his offense lit up the Eagles defense (in Jim Johnson's last game) and gained over 450 yards against the Steelers defense in the Super Bowl (which was by far the best defense in the NFL that year and one of the best of the last decade.)

#52 Ken

Ken

Triple Threat

• HUDDLER
  • 3,361 posts
  • Locationnyc

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

Hue Jackson it is then.

#53 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,922 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

Fine, but he also beat a heavily favored Atlanta team and a heavily favored Eagles team before losing a close contest to the Steelers in the Super Bowl.

Again, compare that to our other candidates and tell me he shouldn't get a look if interested.

That's ignoring the fact that his offense lit up the Eagles defense (in Jim Johnson's last game) and gained over 450 yards against the Steelers defense in the Super Bowl (which was by far the best defense in the NFL that year and one of the best of the last decade.)

Oh, I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a shot, though I doubt he'll get one.

My only concern would be the system difference, but it's nowhere near the adjustment that Shurmur would be.

#54 Actionman0z

Actionman0z

Strong Member

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

Just because Murphy has speed doesnt mean hes only a long ball guy. I think Lafell, and Murphy would be much better in a WCO system where crossing routes and possession is more important. I would say Gettis even to an extent... with good speed. Bigger possession guys. First time I have not agreed with something you've said. strange.

#55 jnewton

jnewton

NEWB

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

i pray to God it's not Shula.

#56 beastson

beastson

Cam

• HUDDLER
  • 8,814 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

They ran the ball in Pitts when he was there

Something we need to do here

#57 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,922 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

Just because Murphy has speed doesnt mean hes only a long ball guy. I think Lafell, and Murphy would be much better in a WCO system where crossing routes and possession is more important. I would say Gettis even to an extent... with good speed. Bigger possession guys. First time I have not agreed with something you've said. strange.

Smith is the only receiver I think could transition into a West Coast system without a huge adjustment. Maybe Greg Olsen, but in both cases neither has ever been in such a system so who knows?

Why take the chance when we have a viable candidate who wouldn't require that effort?

#58 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,348 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

So it's Hue or 0 hope ? lol

#59 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,922 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

LaCanfora says the Chargers are interested in Whisenhunt as an OC.

#60 Actionman0z

Actionman0z

Strong Member

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

Smith is the only receiver I think could transition into a West Coast system without a huge adjustment. Maybe Greg Olsen, but in both cases neither has ever been in such a system so who knows?

Why take the chance when we have a viable candidate who wouldn't require that effort?

I am on board with you for sure. I just feel like we have guys better suited for shorter crossing route 3 step throw packages. I do not think Murphy is as fast as people say, he hardly ever gets separation..

I want Jackson out of all of those, but none make me jump out of my seat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.