#46 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,686 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

I don't disagree. the edwards wall was solid last season but dwan shouldn't be considered much more than hollis thomas was in 2009(?) ron is getting up there too.

I'd love to see offensive and defensive lineman in the first two rounds, and given the giants philosophy i think that's a safe bet

You got those names backwards. Ron is the older one.

#47 catnip

catnip

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

Gettleman came from the Giants and knows the players very well. The Giants need a MLB and we need a WR. Beason would be a good fit for them and we need Nicks at WR. If Getleman can make it happen, we would not feel bad for Beason leaving and it will meet a big need for us without using our draft picks.
A win win !

#48 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,563 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

Gettleman came from the Giants and knows the players very well. The Giants need a MLB and we need a WR. Beason would be a good fit for them and we need Nicks at WR. If Getleman can make it happen, we would not feel bad for Beason leaving and it will meet a big need for us without using our draft picks.
A win win !

I don't see them giving up Nicks that easy for a questionable Beason (though Nicks has his injury issues/history as well). Perhaps some other players or WRs could be in that scenario as well. Interesting thought if all parties would agree. Obviously allows us to address DT with the first pick.

#49 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,085 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

You got those names backwards. Ron is the older one.

damn, you're right. dwan is only 31.

#50 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,597 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

Kris Jenkins was a 3rd round pick.

That being said.
Knowing our new general manager loves big men on the lines, I expect both lines to be addressed this off season.

That's what I thought too.

#51 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,767 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

The thing about drafting DTs is that they usually take at least a couple of years to pan out, especially a run stuffing NT. Hurney's outlook was only 1 or 2 years down the road for a long time.

#52 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,877 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

i agree we are in perfect range for a good talent at DT, OT, WR, DB,but you should not reach for any position but QB. if no DT is there at 14 worth the pick, get a WR,OL, or DB.

But there's at least 3 DTs that are worth a #14 pick. We're not reaching for a DT at that spot. Or WR, OT. S maybe. Vaccaro looks good enough to pick up.

Again our spot is great. Dare I say trade back if possible.

#53 Killa Cam 69

Killa Cam 69

King of the Hill

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:28 AM

We should see if Dwayne jarret wants to try playing again.. He can eventually be our number 1.. Pure talent.. Next Calvin Johnson potentially

#54 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,886 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:58 AM

But there's at least 3 DTs that are worth a #14 pick. We're not reaching for a DT at that spot. Or WR, OT. S maybe. Vaccaro looks good enough to pick up.

I'd love a trade back. I agree there's 3 DTs that wouldn't be a reach at 14, maybe even 4 (Star, Hankins, Richardson, Williams). I dunno about OT though. Joeckel and Fisher will likely be gone and I don't think any other OTs are 1st round at all, much less top half. Maybe Fluker as a RT at the end of 1, but that's pushing it. I also don't know about any S in this class. To take a S or OG or TE or even a RB in the top half of the 1st they really gotta be special,and I don't see any S in this class that's really special. I didn't think Barron qualified last year (and still don't).

#55 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,877 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:18 AM

I'd love a trade back. I agree there's 3 DTs that wouldn't be a reach at 14, maybe even 4 (Star, Hankins, Richardson, Williams). I dunno about OT though. Joeckel and Fisher will likely be gone and I don't think any other OTs are 1st round at all, much less top half. Maybe Fluker as a RT at the end of 1, but that's pushing it. I also don't know about any S in this class. To take a S or OG or TE or even a RB in the top half of the 1st they really gotta be special,and I don't see any S in this class that's really special. I didn't think Barron qualified last year (and still don't).

Ditto.

#56 nagai

nagai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:05 AM

Oh god, yes, DT is a big need, but this guy does NOT know the team better than we do. Don't know why you would change your opinion on our positional needs just because of a guy like this.

#57 Bwood

Bwood

It's all about the

• HUDDLER
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:32 AM

Jesse Williams is the only DT worthy of the pick as of right now, if we chose to take that route.

Ron has said most recently that he likes how the defensive line looks right now and wants to work on the O line. Which makes me think if we are looking for a DT it will be in free agency or with our 2nd-6th round pick.

I can pretty much guarantee that our first pick will be O line. MAYBE a WR like Patterson if he blows up the combine (which he will).

#58 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,639 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:16 AM

hope it is at least 3.several teams ahead of us could use DT help.no need to reach for one if the value is not there,address one of the other needs if its bpa. hate to say i agree with bwood,but CP will shoot up the board after the combine and could be bpa at 14.

#59 datdude420

datdude420

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

Great football teams are built from the inside out. DT or OL has too be the first pick.

#60 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 16,123 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

It's got to be DT now, in my opinion. We need an elite top 5 defense to be able to compete with a Shula offense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com