Photo
- - - - -

If a sure-fire WR1 is not available after our first 2 picks, should we wait? Presuming we go Line with 1 and 2

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,706 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

Man, I have been passionate in the past about our need for a WR1 to be heir to Smitty's position, but with the need for DT and obvious help on the O-line to protect Cam, will there be a need to gamble on someone who is not a legit threat to be a WR1 from day one? I am thinking that Smitty has at least 1 more beastly year in him (contrary to some), and with the supporting cast we should be able to get along with what we have if need be. We pretty much know what we have in LaFell and Murphy, and I am thinking that both can actually be better especially under the tutelage of some fresh coaching, and Cam's inevitable development, but we also have potential big-bodied threats in Gettis and Lamont Bryant (as has been posed). We also have Pilares coming back and can throw in Adams if necessary. With Olsen and Barney, I am thinking we have the tools to get it done. Someone has to get better, right? Don't get me wrong, I want a WR1 like yesterday, but if we can only draft more projects, WR2-3s, and basically more guesses, doesn't it make more sense to sure up other areas of need with more legit talent?

***Got it, no third round pick for all you know-it-all ace-number-1 Panthers gurus***

#2 Black

Black

Don't Make Me Get Money and Platinumize My Body

• HUDDLER
  • 2,312 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

I didn't read your whole post because it's way too long, but we don't even have a third round pick.

#3 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,377 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

We would have to wait in your scenario.

We don't have a 3rd round pick.

#4 SuperJTheGreat

SuperJTheGreat

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

Draft Kennan Allen our problems will be solved.

#5 rscott94

rscott94

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

I honestly (at least from what I've seen right now) do not see a "sure fire number one WR" and I wouldn't take one in the first round (that could change from here to April though).... As for Smitty having "one more beastly year" I think he has 3-4 more solid years he might not be able to put up prime Smitty numbers but he will not digress as fast as you think.

I'd love to get Amari Cooper (Alabama) in two years

#6 BBQ&Beer

BBQ&Beer

The good actor

• HUDDLER
  • 3,965 posts
  • LocationMissouri

My dream WR at the moment is a speedy guy, deep threat, between 6'1" & 6'3", who has a chip on his shoulder because he realizes that when people question his route running they are right to. A guy who is hungry to learn and shut people up... Then Smitty takes him under his wing. I don't care if its 2nd, 4th, or 5th. ( We don't have a third atm.)

#7 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,479 posts

Posted Image

#8 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • 4,750 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

A. We don't have a 3rd

B. Not sure you're ever going to find a "sure-fire" WR1 in the 3rd. It happens, obviously...but not "sure-fires"

#9 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

Yea I don't think there's any sure fire #1 WRs in this draft either. There's probably around 10 guys I think have potential to be, though. I'm all for taking one in the 2nd, but if we don't and take an OL or FS in the 2nd instead I'll be happy too, as long as the value was right.

Let's say Woods, Patton and Tavon Austin (or some other guy around the same ranking as these guys if you dont think Austin will last) are available in the late 3rd. Would anyone be pissed if we traded our 4th and 5th picks to get him? I'd be happy. We'd still have either two picks at the end of the 6th and a 7th or three 6ths to use (depending on what we have to give Oakland). Even if we had to trade the rest of our tradable picks, leaving us with just two comp picks I'd be all for it. Getting a starting DT and probably starting OL or S in the first two rounds and a potential future starting WR in the 3rd would make this a successful draft alone.

#10 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,391 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

The line positions are easier to address than a number one receiver. If there is one available they fall in love with, they should pull the trigger. They are not going to find a day one starter at received the second day of the draft.

#11 KDawg004

KDawg004

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:06 AM

With the abundance of WRs in this draft there should be some value that could fall into the 3rd. I would not mind trading into the 3rd if the scouting department does their homework and feel comfortable with a player. There's also guys in the 4th and on like Dobson and Wilson who have upside.

#12 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:14 AM

With the abundance of WRs in this draft there should be some value that could fall into the 3rd. I would not mind trading into the 3rd if the scouting department does their homework and feel comfortable with a player. There's also guys in the 4th and on like Dobson and Wilson who have upside.

Don't we already have a few 2nd , 3rd and 4th round wr on the roster? If there is not one worth taking in the 1st round then I don't really see the need in wasting another later round pick on one. JMO.

#13 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,400 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:17 AM

If you're a "sure fire" WR1 you probably don't make it out of the top 10.

I like several guys, but DeAndre Hopkins made a huge impression on me.

#14 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 8,822 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

this thread is wrong for so many reasons

#15 Bwood

Bwood

It's all about the

• HUDDLER
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:40 AM

FUGGING LMAO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.