Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you trade our #1 for next year's #1 and this year 2nd?

21 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hate to give up a first rounder but here's my thinking( assuming someone would do this):[list]
[*]This year is considered weak but deep draft
[*]With cap issue, and tough schedule, we may not see great progress in 2013
[*]It would allow us to add some contributers in 2013, but add 2 first rounders plus hopefully free agents in 2014, and allow us to make a huge jump.
[/list]
Cincy has 2 2nd rounders this year and may feel they're one player away from making a move.
Miami also has 2 2nd rounders thogh I doubt they'd give up a future 1st rounder.

Posted · Report post

Has Hurney been hired by another team? If not I don't think this will happen.

Posted · Report post

I would do it in a minute

Posted · Report post

This is a no brainer - Of course you do.

Posted · Report post

Hell yeah, especially cause we're picking in the 30+ range next season....

Posted · Report post

stockpiling picks is never a bad thing, but you do have to use them correctly.

Posted · Report post

i don't know....chud is apparently running the show in cleveland. not sure how smart he will be about that kind of thing. maybe he'd bite. it will take a naive and young hc/gm to fall for that kind of thing......or marty hurney.

Posted · Report post

I'm hoping Gettleman will use them correctly. I'm counting on him getting a DT, S,CB, and OL that will play with our 2,4,5,6,6,7 picks this year.

Posted · Report post

It would depend on the potential trade partner. If it was Jax, I'd do it. If it was San Fran or Baltimore, I'd want more than that.

Posted · Report post

I would wait to see how the draft plays out to see what player falls to us at #14 . If a team is willing to make a deal , then we
decide to pull the trigger. I would love to use some lower picks to get back our 3rd pick this year or maybe a player and a pick for
a 3rd rounder.

Posted · Report post

Doubt Andy Reid would do it but if he took Luke J number 1, and then traded back into the first for Geno, then, we would be good

Posted · Report post

I'd do it faster than microwaving my instant noddle.

This is more of a weaker class of TopTier prospects but still a very loaded draft. We could still simply get two starting DT/OL in the second alone.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='stirs' timestamp='1358519754' post='2102628']
Doubt Andy Reid would do it but if he took Luke J number 1, and then traded back into the first for Geno, then, we would be good
[/quote]

Im just not sure if Geno will be there at 14.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Marguide' timestamp='1358519639' post='2102625']
It would depend on the potential trade partner. If it was Jax, I'd do it. If it was San Fran or Baltimore, I'd want more than that.
[/quote]

I dont think Jax would try to trade up. If it did, it would have to be a team like who the OP said above, someone who think that they're a player away from winning (i.e. Atl trade for Julio 2011). Also it would be a team with "two 2nd rounders" like Miami or Cincy. I havent check but Im thinking SF and Baltimore doesnt have two 2nd rds. I might be wrong.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='carolina-chuck' timestamp='1358520548' post='2102643']

Also it would be a team with "two 2nd rounders" like Miami or Cincy. I havent check but Im thinking SF and Baltimore doesnt have two 2nd rds. I might be wrong.
[/quote]

I just used those teams as examples. The point is, I wouldn't trade 14 this year for say 60 this year and a likely 25+ next year.

And a potential partner would not necessarily need to have 2 seconds, they'd just have to be willing to part with the one they do have.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Marguide' timestamp='1358521950' post='2102677']
I just used those teams as examples. The point is, I wouldn't trade 14 this year for say 60 this year and a likely 25+ next year.

And a potential partner would not necessarily need to have 2 seconds, they'd just have to be willing to part with the one they do have.
[/quote]

Yea, very true.

2012: Minnesota traded back up for Harrison Smith in the 1st by giving up their only 2nd round pick and a 4th to trade up to no.29.

Tampa who owned two 2nd rounders in 2012 also traded their one of their 2nd rd (no.36) and no.101 to NE for Doug Martin.

So, I can see both scenario happening.

Posted · Report post

I would try to get more. Maybe another pick in the 4th or something.

Posted · Report post

Also, where we are drafting makes it tough because there are no guarantees in terms of who will be available. If a deal is struck it could be done with less than 2 minutes on the clock. There could be multiple offers and an enticing player on the board. A tough scenario for our new GM.I an in favor of acquiring assets. But we need to hit on [u]ALL[/u] of them.

Posted · Report post

Absolutely I'd do that trade. We're out of contention for any elite players except maybe Warmack and that extra 1st could potentially be used to move up to take one of those WRs next year that look so high potential.

Posted · Report post

Hell yes! Next years draft is going to be LOADED! And who knows, maybe the team we trade with has a major injury (never would hope for it of course) and we land a top five pick? Then we'd have the option of drafting guys like Clowney, Nix (the Irish Chocolate for those not familiar with this name - IMO the most underrated player in CFB and was the best player on that Notre Dame defense), Lee, etc. <3333

Posted · Report post

Depends on what pick the 2nd is. If it's 33-43, sure. If it's 60, no.