Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carl Spackler

Shula promoted to OC

326 posts in this topic

This hire makes perfect sense, if your Ron Rivera. When this team is in it's yearly early struggle, they won't be choosing Mike to run the show. I'm taking Sean McDermott in week 8 as my official pick in the Replace RR pool..

Shula was probably the best choice since he is familiar with the current system and Rivera most likely didn't want to start over with a new guy and new approach.

I do fear his ability to be a great OC.

Not sure what he will be like as the OC but as far as his "game" goes his wife is hot...

I wonder if the reports of Jackson having emotional problems relating to other coaches and front office had a lot to do with him not being chosen?

Shurmur wasn't a fit anyway. You can disagree with me, and that's fine, I get that, but you're wrong and I hate you.

Norv has been a head coach for awhile now, so no, I don't think he's going to transition back to OC, and take a demotion as easily as all of you seem to.

Hue Jackson is basically a circling vulture, looking for the quickest route back to a head coaching job, and he wasn't very good when he was one. He was just okay as an OC, so no, I am not weeping tears of blood that we didn't snag him.

Shula sucked at his first go round as an OC over a decade ago. I'm willing to give him another chance.

Makes too much sense and therefor not worthy of the huddle

None of what you said answered my question though. They were all above average OCs except for Shula.

I hope he exceeds everyone's expectations but his hire is status quo for an organization with 4 winning seasons out of 18.

In the past five seasons, which of these guys has had more than one GOOD season as an OC? Jackson had one, Shurmur had none, and Norv hasn't been an OC since 2006 when his 49ers went 7-9, never outscoring any team by more than 14 points.

I'm not saying that Shula is the second coming, but let's all take a breath and have a little reality check.

Pep Hamilton hired with Indy as OC. Would have been nice to give a guy like that a shot.

It's been less than 12 years since his last failure

I'm looking around to find somewhere he's actually succeeded and not finding much. Newton's mechanics were a hot mess to start this season so I'm not actually sure he's much of a QB coach either.

But hey, the players like him.

i guess that's all that matters.

make sure everyone is comfortable and content in their effort to finally not have a losing season.

1 person likes this

He went 10-2 in 2005. He wasn't an abject failure.

Yes, he was.

His record in 4 years at Alabama was 26-23.

His record in 4 tries against Auburn 0-4.

As head coach at Alabama, your mission is clear- beat Auburn. He did not succeed.

In the past five seasons, which of these guys has had more than one GOOD season as an OC? Jackson had one, Shurmur had none, and Norv hasn't been an OC since 2006 when his 49ers went 7-9, never outscoring any team by more than 14 points.

I'm not saying that Shula is the second coming, but let's all take a breath and have a little reality check.

the reality is that we had an OC leave the team and get replaced by some guy that was so bad at the job he hasn't had another for 12 years.

and we did it for stability's sake. not because he was good, but because we wanted to maintain the status quo.

that's the reality of the situation.

everyone's best defense of him is that we don't know that he's still as bad as he was over a decade ago. wow. talk about low standards, but apparently that's what being a good fan is.

1 person likes this

Has anyone heard what Cam's reaction is to this?