Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shula promoted to OC

328 posts in this topic

Posted

The Trent Dilfer that went to a pro bowl in 97 and won a Superbowl in Baltimore?

Ever stop to think Shula wasn't exactly a positive thing for Dilfer?

Sooo Shula developed a guy that had 4 TDs and 18 INTs his rookie year and developed him into a pro bowler in just two years?!?!?

Damn he must suck!

Posted

Yeah, that's why he has already fired 5 in 2 years. Great choices.

Some of that with defensive backs with Meeks for example was keeping a placeholder when his guy wasn't available. And I wonder if Hurney influenced any of these decisions and with him gone, now Rivera is free to find his guys.

Both Chud and McDermott which were his main folks have been spot on. So was Shula for that matter

Posted

You know, we're hiring a new tech for the IT department. His resume is littered with failure but I probably shouldn't hold that against him.

Posted

Continuity for a sub 500 team....sure if that is the goal.

GL trying to make a joke about the Browns or Raiders....jokes on you(us) now.

Posted

Continuity for a sub 500 team....sure if that is the goal.

GL trying to make a joke about the Browns or Raiders....jokes on you(us) now.

Or continuity on a top 10 offense. But it is harder to be so self loathing if you think of it that way

1 person likes this

Posted

I guess everyone is mad. Is there any contention that maybe through some trial and ERROR, mostly error this season we know what we are gonna run. Mike knows what we are gonna run, and we have a diverse enough of a playbook and a team that can run and pass well enough that we don't need the extra fluff that came with a Chud?

Are we now confident enough in what we are gonna run that we feel like any outside influence might f-ck it up?

Do we want to see where we can go with what we have in house, identify more definitively exactly where our deficiency lies and then move forward?

Nobody wants to come into a potentially lame duck coach situation. On the other hand, current staff knows more about what he has to work with and has more motivation to effectively manage it than any new comer would in his "get to know you" initial season.

I would have been happier with somebody else maybe but I can justify this decision and tolerate it after a 20 or so hour simmering period. Now all I have to do is hope for is that their logic is similar to what I posted above and not just a budget issue or a "there were no interested candidates" issue.

Posted

The Trent Dilfer that went to a pro bowl in 97 and won a Superbowl in Baltimore?

Ever stop to think Shula wasn't exactly a positive thing for Dilfer?

wasn't Shula there in 97?

also....I could have sworn TB went to the playoffs a few times in the late 90's.

Posted

King played as a rookie when Dilfer went down with an injury. King was the QB in the playoffs.

Posted

Sooo Shula developed a guy that had 4 TDs and 18 INTs his rookie year and developed him into a pro bowler in just two years?!?!?

Damn he must suck!

Am I the only one just dying in laughter at the people who are grasping so hard for straws to hold onto to mindlessly defend this team?

By that I mean literally the exact same people who are screaming you can't judge Shula for something that happened ten years ago (and five too btw) are also screaming that he's also just so dandy because of something he did fifteen years ago.

Posted

Am I the only one just dying in laughter at the people who are grasping so hard for straws to hold onto to mindlessly defend this team?

By that I mean literally the exact same people who are screaming you can't judge Shula for something that happened ten years ago (and five too btw) are also screaming that he's also just so dandy because of something he did fifteen years ago.

Okay fair enough. How about last season when he took a QB "project" and developed him into the best rookie QB in NFL history. Or is that too far back for you also?

1 person likes this

Posted

Okay fair enough. How about last season when he took a QB "project" and developed him into the best rookie QB in NFL history. Or is that too far back for you also?

In addition to the fact that you know as well as I do the whole project label was severely over stated, if we had any desire to push deeper we could ask ourselves why Cam is still mechanically identical to himself in some areas as he was two years ago, and now doesn't have a real position coach to work with him on those things

But we don't have any desire to do so. Because being a mediocre position coach has almost nothing to do with being the offensive coordinator.

Posted

In addition to the fact that you know as well as I do the whole project label was severely over stated, if we had any desire to push deeper we could ask ourselves why Cam is still mechanically identical to himself in some areas as he was two years ago, and now doesn't have a real position coach to work with him on those things

But we don't have any desire to do so. Because being a mediocre position coach has almost nothing to do with being the offensive coordinator.

Or the fact that his mechanics looked worse starting his second season than they did his first, when he put heavy time in with Weinke.