327 replies to this topic

#301 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,911 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

The Trent Dilfer that went to a pro bowl in 97 and won a Superbowl in Baltimore?

Ever stop to think Shula wasn't exactly a positive thing for Dilfer?

Sooo Shula developed a guy that had 4 TDs and 18 INTs his rookie year and developed him into a pro bowler in just two years?!?!?

Damn he must suck!

#302 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 17,048 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

Yeah, that's why he has already fired 5 in 2 years. Great choices.

Some of that with defensive backs with Meeks for example was keeping a placeholder when his guy wasn't available. And I wonder if Hurney influenced any of these decisions and with him gone, now Rivera is free to find his guys.

Both Chud and McDermott which were his main folks have been spot on. So was Shula for that matter

#303 Sloth

Sloth

idk

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

You know, we're hiring a new tech for the IT department. His resume is littered with failure but I probably shouldn't hold that against him.

#304 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

Continuity for a sub 500 team....sure if that is the goal.

GL trying to make a joke about the Browns or Raiders....jokes on you(us) now.

#305 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,911 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

Continuity for a sub 500 team....sure if that is the goal.

GL trying to make a joke about the Browns or Raiders....jokes on you(us) now.

Or continuity on a top 10 offense. But it is harder to be so self loathing if you think of it that way

#306 carolinarolls

carolinarolls

Mel's brother Del

• HUDDLER
  • 5,417 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

I guess everyone is mad. Is there any contention that maybe through some trial and ERROR, mostly error this season we know what we are gonna run. Mike knows what we are gonna run, and we have a diverse enough of a playbook and a team that can run and pass well enough that we don't need the extra fluff that came with a Chud?

Are we now confident enough in what we are gonna run that we feel like any outside influence might f-ck it up?

Do we want to see where we can go with what we have in house, identify more definitively exactly where our deficiency lies and then move forward?

Nobody wants to come into a potentially lame duck coach situation. On the other hand, current staff knows more about what he has to work with and has more motivation to effectively manage it than any new comer would in his "get to know you" initial season.

I would have been happier with somebody else maybe but I can justify this decision and tolerate it after a 20 or so hour simmering period. Now all I have to do is hope for is that their logic is similar to what I posted above and not just a budget issue or a "there were no interested candidates" issue.

#307 2jakefansinva

2jakefansinva

Coach Jack Bolton

• HUDDLER
  • 4,811 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

The Trent Dilfer that went to a pro bowl in 97 and won a Superbowl in Baltimore?

Ever stop to think Shula wasn't exactly a positive thing for Dilfer?

wasn't Shula there in 97?

also....I could have sworn TB went to the playoffs a few times in the late 90's.

#308 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,171 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

It was Dilfer

King played as a rookie when Dilfer went down with an injury. King was the QB in the playoffs.

#309 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

Sooo Shula developed a guy that had 4 TDs and 18 INTs his rookie year and developed him into a pro bowler in just two years?!?!?

Damn he must suck!

Am I the only one just dying in laughter at the people who are grasping so hard for straws to hold onto to mindlessly defend this team?

By that I mean literally the exact same people who are screaming you can't judge Shula for something that happened ten years ago (and five too btw) are also screaming that he's also just so dandy because of something he did fifteen years ago.

#310 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,911 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

Am I the only one just dying in laughter at the people who are grasping so hard for straws to hold onto to mindlessly defend this team?

By that I mean literally the exact same people who are screaming you can't judge Shula for something that happened ten years ago (and five too btw) are also screaming that he's also just so dandy because of something he did fifteen years ago.

Okay fair enough. How about last season when he took a QB "project" and developed him into the best rookie QB in NFL history. Or is that too far back for you also?

#311 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

Okay fair enough. How about last season when he took a QB "project" and developed him into the best rookie QB in NFL history. Or is that too far back for you also?

In addition to the fact that you know as well as I do the whole project label was severely over stated, if we had any desire to push deeper we could ask ourselves why Cam is still mechanically identical to himself in some areas as he was two years ago, and now doesn't have a real position coach to work with him on those things

But we don't have any desire to do so. Because being a mediocre position coach has almost nothing to do with being the offensive coordinator.

#312 Sloth

Sloth

idk

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

In addition to the fact that you know as well as I do the whole project label was severely over stated, if we had any desire to push deeper we could ask ourselves why Cam is still mechanically identical to himself in some areas as he was two years ago, and now doesn't have a real position coach to work with him on those things

But we don't have any desire to do so. Because being a mediocre position coach has almost nothing to do with being the offensive coordinator.

Or the fact that his mechanics looked worse starting his second season than they did his first, when he put heavy time in with Weinke.

#313 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,911 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

Or the fact that his mechanics looked worse starting his second season than they did his first, when he put heavy time in with Weinke.

I couldn't disagree more with these two sentiments. Even though he struggled early in the season I think he was actually better even at the beginning of the year than he was his rookie year in both decision making and accuracy. I realize the stats don't bare that out the first 6 games of the season, but just watching the games he has come a LONG way from his rookie year. He is becoming a better QB even if he didn't have a better statistical year this year. If he keeps doing what he is doing, and continuing to learn he will have a break out year within the next two seasons.

#314 Sloth

Sloth

idk

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

I couldn't disagree more with these two sentiments. Even though he struggled early in the season I think he was actually better even at the beginning of the year than he was his rookie year in both decision making and accuracy. I realize the stats don't bare that out the first 6 games of the season, but just watching the games he has come a LONG way from his rookie year. He is becoming a better QB even if he didn't have a better statistical year this year. If he keeps doing what he is doing, and continuing to learn he will have a break out year within the next two seasons.

I disagree about the mechanics. I really thought he looked like a hot mess to start the season.

He did start looking better as the season went on, and to be fair Shula should get a lot of credit for that.

#315 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,290 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

So....what I have learned the last 24 hours.....
Most Huddlers hate this hire.

Zod has Tampa/Shula PTSD.
Most Huddlers love being miserable.

I was not for Rivera being retained. He was, and I said I would be supportive and hope he is able to grow as a head coach.

Now, Shula is the OC. Not the sexy hire. Thoughts............some continuity is not all bad. Sometimes things need to be tweeked not overhauled. I do a better job than I did 13 years ago...even 1 year ago. Shula may have been promoted in the past before he was ready because of his name. We know nothing about his interviews or the specifics of his performance for the past 2 years. Rivera's future depends on Shula's success (got to think playoffs). Gettleman also had input...... I have to believe in him (I liked his hire).

I have stopped my Rivera bashing. JR believed he should give him another chance, so I will be supportive and see how things work out. Gettleman said his job was to make everyone better, including Rivera. I am willing to give these guys a chance. Hoping this is Shula's time.

The staff is set. Can we move on to thinking about the draft?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com