Photo
- - - - -

No minority head coaches were hired with 8 openings

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
106 replies to this topic

#25 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

I hope you guys are watching the Ray Lewis special on ESPN right now. If you dont believe my post, listen to the determination and dedication he felt in order to reach the level he reached in sports.

#26 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

I hope you guys are watching the Ray Lewis special on ESPN right now. If you dont believe my post, listen to the determination and dedication he felt in order to reach the level he reached in sports.

I started doing some further research after I read your post. It is still ongoing but still very interesting in regards to what you said. I literally had no idea of the scope of the impact of the social forces at work in regards to this topic. Guess that's a sign of my ignorant upbringing.

#27 megadeth078

megadeth078

hate hate hate

HUDDLER

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

What does it matter that the hired coaches were all white? How does that make it automatically prejudice?

#28 Goondal

Goondal

The Goon

HUDDLER

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

The fact that only white coaches were hired should not be a problem unless one or more of them were chosen over better candidates simply because of their color. If the teams felt that the white coaches gave them the best chance to win and hired a minority simply to support some quota then that would be unfair to the players and fans of the organization whose desire it is to win.

#29 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

I started doing some further research after I read your post. It is still ongoing but still very interesting in regards to what you said. I literally had no idea of the scope of the impact of the social forces at work in regards to this topic. Guess that's a sign of my ignorant upbringing.

Im genuinely glad to hear that. IMO a big reason why conversations like this continue to come up is because of the lack of proper perspective applied to history. If we spoke more about these issues and learned from each other we could understand everybody's view point better. The only problem is that the media has so corrupted the opinions of people that it may have to be left up to our children to take that next step because most people are so close-minded.

#30 Actionman0z

Actionman0z

Strong Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

IM not a fan of the rooney rule. I am a fan of hiring the best coaches for the job. Seems silly to force teams to interview people just because they are a minority candidate.

#31 SgtJoo

SgtJoo

Reppin that Bull City

SUPPORTER

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

This is ridiculous. It's racist to force teams to hire non-white coaches.

#32 Corporal Casto

Corporal Casto

Noob Member

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

fuging race cards. gtfo

#33 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

The NFL doesn't hire many female coaches or Asian coaches. There's not many middle eastern coaches. It's doesn't mean these people are unwelcome, but circumstances dictate that not many of those types of people want to be NFL head coaches and even fewer of them are qualified.

The example I just gave was extreme. African Americans coaches are much more common and there are more qualified applicants but perhaps still fewer blacks than whites. That is the definition of being in the minority right? Now don't get me wrong, I see this as a problem but I do not see an antagonist with malice in their hearts. We are still recovering from a long history of racism that will take generations to rub off with an eraser. Black coaches in their 50s-60s did not have the same opportunities as white coaches. While I feel the the playing field is level now, its too late. The black coaches are already firmly entrenched in position jobs. Maybe they don't even have the ambition to seek promotions at this stage in their lives. The younger guys are moving up the ranks and they have found success. However it's a simple game of numbers. The way to fix it isn't to hire more black head coaches. It's to hire more black coordinators. Moving up the ladder in the NFL is a process and successful coordinators are most commonly promoted. When a franchise interviews 7 white guys and 1 African American there is no reason to expect a 50/50 split on hirings. Get more qualified minority coordinators out there and the owners will interview them. Owners want to win. Bottom line, it's about winning these days.

It's true that we have 4 current minority head coaches. However if you look at all 32 teams, 6 of them had minority head coaches before their current coach. Think Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Oakland. All these guys were hired on merit and fired on merit. To me that's working as intended. (I will say Lovie got a raw deal but he had been with the team forever and they never got that ring).

One last point. There is currently ONE African American Offensive Coordinator in the NFL.

#34 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

IM not a fan of the rooney rule. I am a fan of hiring the best coaches for the job. Seems silly to force teams to interview people just because they are a minority candidate.

I get that and I agree in principal. But in practice the Rooney Rule helps. Even if a minority coach goes in for a token interview their name gets plastered on sportscenter and they get to practice an interview with an owner instead of a coach. Having their name promoted and gaining experience is well worth it even if they aren't seriously being considered.

#35 CCS

CCS

Glutton for heart break and punishment

HUDDLER

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

The Rooney rule is, was, and always will be fuging retarded. It's actually an insult to people of color since most of them are only getting interviewed because of the rule and have no chance of getting the job regardless. The most qualified candidate usually gets the job regardless of color so maybe fi they want to get hired they should become better qualified instead of expecting handouts based on their skin color.

And the people who claim racism like OP is even worse. I'm a white guy and you don't see me bitching because 90% of runningbacks are black do you? Hell, I might start that though. I propose a new rule where each team must have at least one white RB just because only having blacks is racist.

#36 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

This is ridiculous. It's racist to force teams to hire non-white coaches.

fuging race cards. gtfo

The rule only forces them to interview candidates. It has only been around since 2003.