Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do your best to put a positive spin on Shula's promotion

66 posts in this topic

Posted

For me the best thing about the Shula hire is watching the Huddle experts go balistic. Because if you listen to them, the Panthers suck, we are never going to win cuz JR is cheap, and this move cements us as the new laughingstock of the NFL.

You gotta love this place. The hyperbole is amazingly shallow.

1 person likes this

Posted

Shula hasn't been an OC in the NFL since 1999 when he was 35 years old (started at age 32). Since then he has had several stops as a position coach and has generally been regarded as a good coach in those roles. He also was the HC at Alabama for 4 seasons as well.

At this point in his career he really is an unknown as far as being an OC is concerned. I seriously doubt he is the same coach that became the OC in Tampa at 32 that he is today.

I have no idea if he will be a good OC with the Panthers but I also have no idea if he will be bad either. That's the main problem I think most have with this hire. With guys like Turner, Whisenhunt and Jackson you can point to past successes. But these same coaches are available because of past failures as well, albeit as HC not OC.

There may not be reason now to really celebrate this move it doesn't mean Shula can't step up and be a great OC.

Posted

Jackson wasn't a failure as a HC though. He took one of the most talentless teams in recent history and made them a top 10 offense and had them at 8-8 if my memory serves me. If he can take the Raiders to 8-8 he should have the talent on this team at 11-5 in the first year at minimum.

1 person likes this

Posted

i'm tired of having to try and put a positive spin on losing seasons and making excuses for bad coaches, bad hires, and bad decisions.

3 people like this

Posted

There are none.

I have never been so sure of a losing season than I am with the 2013 Panthers. I don't even care about the draft right now.

Gettleman, the HC search starts now.

1 person likes this

Posted

I only lost about 12% of the original price of my PSLs when I sold them a couple months ago....

Coulda been much worse had I waited until these post season moves...

1 person likes this

Posted

His last name is Shula.

Posted

Jackson wasn't a failure as a HC though. He took one of the most talentless teams in recent history and made them a top 10 offense and had them at 8-8 if my memory serves me. If he can take the Raiders to 8-8 he should have the talent on this team at 11-5 in the first year at minimum.

From my understanding Jackson was fired because he was a nut case. He basically came out after the end of the season and said he was taking over the Raiders. His ego was way out of check and it wasn't just in Oakland. There is more than one way to fail as a coach.

Posted

From my understanding Jackson was fired because he was a nut case. He basically came out after the end of the season and said he was taking over the Raiders. His ego was way out of check and it wasn't just in Oakland. There is more than one way to fail as a coach.

LOL, Hue is a madman.

Posted

We won't have to deal with the fire Rivera threads 365 days from now.

Posted

They haven't named Armanti Edwards QB coach - yet . . .

Posted

Maybe I'll be dead before the season starts!

2 people like this