Photo
- - - - -

Which team does Cam go to after he forces his way out of this shitfest?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#46 beastson

beastson

Cam

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,808 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:42 AM

Dom Capers and George Seifert beg to differ.

Unless Rivera is due to make 6 million dollars next season the way Fox was it isn't a great comparison.

And BTW, Fox won some meaningless games... he also won some meaningful games that gave him equity. Including a Super Bowl appearance in his second season and a NFC championship game in his 4th.

Different JR and you know it

Fox wasn't fired cause he didn't want to pay him out. Hurney wasn't even under contract

#47 Sloth

Sloth

idk

• HUDDLER
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:45 AM

I think he's in between a rock and a hard place. He's had to choose a shitty candidate because he knows that he has to win games. He chose keeping the same system in place and putting trust in Shula to not fug it up, in hopes that he can win games. Versus, bringing in a completely new offensive system (albeit run in the same general scheme) run by a completely new OC that has never worked with the team, knowing that he HAS TO WIN games right off the bat in order to keep his job long term. Which would you choose? It's not as easy as you might think.

Ok. I'm pissed off, disappointed, tired, and being a dickhead and I'm sorry.

I agree he's in a bad spot. I disagree that JR/Gettleman wouldn't replace him mid-season should there be someone experienced on staff. I think Rivera chose the coaches he did only partly based on continuity and more on buying himself a full season of coaching. Skipper gives him a very safe "assistant HC" because nobody in their right mind is going to promote him to HC.

#48 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,485 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:47 AM

Fired as a HC is not a good thing. If Rivera is fired as HC, what's the odds he'll be a HC somewhere else? I bet that money won't be the same being a coordinator again

I was talking about his current contract. Either way you're still not getting it.

#49 beastson

beastson

Cam

• HUDDLER
  • 8,808 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:51 AM

I was talking about his current contract. Either way you're still not getting it.

I understand, I just don't see it that way. I don't think its about the money, rather than him being a head coach in the national football league

Look at his track record. 2 years and honestly after this year it should have continued that way

#50 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,485 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Floppin, I dig 99.9% of your posts. But these hires were the easy way out. The organization sees the all star games coming up and the draft after that, this hire and the promotions caused the least amount of ripples. 2013 is an audition year for the coaches and scouts and no coach worth his salt would come into this current Panther situation.

Well you would be right except for the fact that it was reported, after Sula was promoted, that both Hue and Shurmur wanted the job.

#51 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,462 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Floppin, I dig 99.9% of your posts. But these hires were the easy way out. The organization sees the all star games coming up and the draft after that, this hire and the promotions caused the least amount of ripples. 2013 is an audition year for the coaches and scouts and no coach worth his salt would come into this current Panther situation.

Don't agree at all about no coaches wanting to come here. After all Chud came here and went 6-10 his first year and everyone was interviewing him for a head coaching job. They go 7-9 this year and he get the Cleveland job as head coach. That is going from a TE coach to head coach in 2 years. Why wouldn't someone think they could the same thing?? If Shula does a great job, people might be knocking on his door as well. After all accounts are Jackson and Shurmur wanted the job.

#52 Sloth

Sloth

idk

• HUDDLER
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:55 AM

We could've had Bobby April and Hue Jackson. Not in a "God I wish" way, but both would have taken the job if offered.

We promoted Richard Rodgers and Mike Shula.

Lol?

#53 Awesomeness!

Awesomeness!

Zulu

• HUDDLER
  • 4,958 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:11 AM

I keep telling yall Cam will go and play for Rex Ryan if we dont get it together

#54 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 13,886 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:11 AM

Different JR and you know it

Fox wasn't fired cause he didn't want to pay him out. Hurney wasn't even under contract

I think that was a factor, but this was a convoluted decision and I think you are over simplifying it.

Keep in mind these factors. Yes John Fox went 7-9 in 2009 but he also won the NFC South in 2008. John Fox expected an extension after going 7-9 and didn't get one, couple that with them releasing Jake and some other veterans that were Fox favorites, and suddenly Fox got his ass on his shoulders.

No one really saw 2010 coming. Despite cutting some veterans a lot of people were excited that Matt Moore was now QB instead of Jake because of Moore's strong showing at the end of 2009, the rest of the offense was mostly intact (at least at the skill positions) going into 2010. Many people thought we got a steal in Jimmy Clausen in the 2nd round. And most people thought the only thing holding us back was our QB play.

Here is what Pat Y had to say about us in the ESPN preview to that season:

DIVISION FINISH: 3 Don't dismiss Carolina. National expectations might not be high, but I don't see how a team with core players such as Steve Smith, Jordan Gross, DeAngelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart, Jeff Otah, Ryan Kalil, Jon Beason and Chris Gamble can be terrible.

But Fox was angry he didn't get his extension after a disappointing 2009 season and decided to cash his $6 million dollar paycheck and phone it in the 2010 season. Not to mention Moore got hurt and Clausen ended up being pretty terrible.

JR also didn't extend Fox partly because he challenged him to be a more consistent winner. He didn't want to extend Fox, thus committing additional years worth of salaries, without Fox having consistent winning seasons. I realize this runs contrary to the "JR doesn't care about winning he just wants to save money" narrative. I think it was a message of just the opposite.

And of course the lockout played a factor as well.

So all those different scenarios are the reason he wasn't fired, in addition to your belief that he didn't want to pay $11 million to a coaching staff that wasn't even working for him anymore. which I agree was almost certainly a factor as well

But I think it is a little bit unfair to say that JR didn't fire the coach that had just won the NFC South the season prior solely for financial reasons.

#55 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 13,886 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:12 AM

I keep telling yall Cam will go and play for Rex Ryan if we dont get it together

Rex Ryan will be a defensive coordinator somewhere by the time Cam's contract is up.

#56 Awesomeness!

Awesomeness!

Zulu

• HUDDLER
  • 4,958 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:18 AM

Cam was had to watch Ponder, Dalton (twice) Sam Bradford, RG3 (on one leg) and shitty Andrew Luck make the playoffs. Im sure he loves Charlotte, but if you think he wont bolt, you may be in for a shock one offseason..

#57 Awesomeness!

Awesomeness!

Zulu

• HUDDLER
  • 4,958 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:19 AM

Rex Ryan will be a defensive coordinator somewhere by the time Cam's contract is up.

He is a top 7 hc coach.

#58 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• HUDDLER
  • 5,074 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:19 AM

Cam was had to watch Ponder, Dalton (twice) Sam Bradford, RG3 (on one leg) and shitty Andrew Luck make the playoffs. Im sure he loves Charlotte, but if you think he wont bolt, you may be in for a shock one offseason..

Bradford's never made the postseason.

#59 Awesomeness!

Awesomeness!

Zulu

• HUDDLER
  • 4,958 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:24 AM

Bradford's never made the postseason.

Yes they did when the NFC West was trash.

#60 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,497 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:28 AM

Rams haven't been in the Playoffs since 2004.

http://www.pro-footb...am/playoffs.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.