Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

Look for a true blocking FB to be picked up...

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#46 ElkinPanthersFan

ElkinPanthersFan

Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

Disagree.

Tolbert can be a decent blocker. Alstodt was better.

Mike Alstott was a throwback to Csonka. A horse of a football player.

#47 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,740 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

I dont know if this has been said before, I haven't read through this entire thread. Would you rather have Tolbert or an awesome blocking FB? I lean towards Tolbert. I think he is more useful.

#48 tiger7_88

tiger7_88

old skool SWAG

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,532 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

The Golden Calf of Bristol FB conversion

Cam handing off to The Golden Calf of Bristol?

That would be CLASSIC. :D

#49 magnus

magnus

Eternal Gameface

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

What you don't understand is that aside from Cam, Jimmy, or Derek, no one on the team has any idea how he will be. They don't get coached by him, they don't talk to him. They are as in the dark as the rest of us.

It would be like an employee commenting on the promotion of a manager in another department.

feels pretty short sighted for you to say "the team must make this particular signing based on a team from 15 years ago" and then say that there are only three players that the 2nd in command on offense would've ever interacted with.

and just for the thread in general, Alstott might've been one of the more overrated fullbacks ever. But, if the idea is that they need someone here like that because he was picked during Shula's tenure, then a true blocking FB isn't your guy. Tolbert is.

#50 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,977 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

You could get a guy like Phillip Lutzenkirchen from Auburn in the late rounds who was a helluva tight end but also played fullback (and played it well) in many of Auburn's offensive sets. He got injured in 2012 and had to have surgery to repair a torn labrum and missed half the season and his stock has probably dropped accordingly.

According to a speculative report I read about comp picks, we are supposed to get to at the end of the sixth round (fairly accurate). If So, a player like PL should be there. I wonder, since Barnidge is a free agent, if Rosario (TE from UCLA on PS) might find a role. If so, we may not need another TE.

#51 panfan32

panfan32

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • LocationFayetteville, North Carolina

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

TOTALLY different positions.

FS - SS

ROLB - MLB - LOLB

UT - NT

OT - OG

All different positions.

HB and FB are different positions however in the realm of footall and rosters, they both fall under running backs. Regardless of what position a LB played on the roster they are called linebackers not outside or will or strong or mike. Only undear a depth chart does this distinction come into play. And we all know a depth chart and player roster are two different things.

#52 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,735 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

I dont know if this has been said before, I haven't read through this entire thread. Would you rather have Tolbert or an awesome blocking FB? I lean towards Tolbert. I think he is more useful.

In today's NFL....give me Tolbert over a guy like Hoov

#53 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,052 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

Not sure personnel will change based on what Shula wants to do. I think it will be more about what Rivera wants Shula to do.

He's not known for it, but Tolbert actually did a decent job of run blocking this year.

#54 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,611 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

You could get a guy like Phillip Lutzenkirchen from Auburn in the late rounds who was a helluva tight end but also played fullback (and played it well) in many of Auburn's offensive sets. He got injured in 2012 and had to have surgery to repair a torn labrum and missed half the season and his stock has probably dropped accordingly.

I agree the fb is one of the few positions you can pick up a impact player in later rounds

#55 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

If we spend any legitimate resources on a backer of any kind this offseason I'll put my hair out.

We don't need a "true run blocker man full back!" because they don't exist anymore. They are useless because you don't run the ball enough in this league for them to be valuable enough over a guy who can line up in the slot and catch the football.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com