Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zod

Continuity not Capability

175 posts in this topic

Assuming Jackson wasn't better than Shula, doesn't it beg the question, why were those three guys the best that applied for the job? Don't you think that the opportunity to run an offense led by Cam Newton with our talent at running back would be attractive? I would think that agents everywhere for aspiring OCs would be asking their clients if they were interested, and running ot the Panthers.

Obviously Norv wasn't that interested, even if he was close at Cleveland it wouldn't be the first time a coach who was close went elsewhere. And we got no action/inquiries from anyone else?

Weird...

join a new staff and get 2-3 years out of it or join rivera's and get 1. kind of easy.

job security ftw.

Assuming Jackson wasn't better than Shula, doesn't it beg the question, why were those three guys the best that applied for the job? Don't you think that the opportunity to run an offense led by Cam Newton with our talent at running back would be attractive? I would think that agents everywhere for aspiring OCs would be asking their clients if they were interested, and running ot the Panthers.

Obviously Norv wasn't that interested, even if he was close at Cleveland it wouldn't be the first time a coach who was close went elsewhere. And we got no action/inquiries from anyone else?

Weird...

Obviously the job security issue was a factor. Do you go with a new coach in a new job where you have a few years or do you go to Carolina where you are expected to deliver immediately. Plus you have to be willing to run a similar system to what we already have, have to hit the ground running in a small market and pass up jobs in some of the biggest cities like NY or Philly, or Chicago,etc. Lots of factors.

Bottom line is that Shula was the best candidate by Gettleman's and Rivera's assessment. Why can't folks just be okay with that??

Bottom line is that Shula was the best candidate by Gettleman's and Rivera's assessment. Why can't folks just be okay with that??

Well, we have to accept it if we want to remain fans of the team I suppose, but that doesn't mean we have to be okay with it or agree with it.

It is called a differing opinion. This is a message board in which we debate and discuss differing opinions. Why should everyone be expected to just line up behind every decision made by the organization?

Well, we have to accept it if we want to remain fans of the team I suppose, but that doesn't mean we have to be okay with it or agree with it.

It is called a differing opinion. This is a message board in which we debate and discuss differing opinions. Why should everyone be expected to just line up behind every decision made by the organization?

we shouldn't, and P55 sure didn't when jerry tanked the 2010 season.

I don't know how anyone can say the Shula promotion was bad, for the life of me. For all we know Cam and Jackson might have not even got a long, Rivera is gone regardless if wins don't come why even add speculation to why you were bad if were bad next year again. Now there is no excuse for the offense to not know what they are doing, essentially.

Obviously the job security issue was a factor. Do you go with a new coach in a new job where you have a few years or do you go to Carolina where you are expected to deliver immediately. Plus you have to be willing to run a similar system to what we already have, have to hit the ground running in a small market and pass up jobs in some of the biggest cities like NY or Philly, or Chicago,etc. Lots of factors.

Why do people keep saying this?

Joseph Person reported that both Hue Jackson and Shurmur wanted the Job.

Obviously Norv Turner, was locked up by Chud already, and is going to Cleveland to be with his son, and because the opportunity was offered to him first before Rivera did. So that's different. And the team didn't pursue Ken Whisenhunt.

Now Remember, there was a report that Bill Cowher was interested in the Carolina job... Jason Laconfora, reported (and said on the air on WFNZ) that Gruden would have came out of retirement for the Panther job....Hot Shot, NY Giants Front Office Whiz Banger, Marc Ross was reported to be DEFINITELY interested in the Panthers GM job he was denied. And after missing out on the Panther spot, Ross cancelled his interview regarding the open Jets GM position in--NY. And many observers believe, Chip Kelly went back to college cause the Carolina job wasn't available and was going through the motions, before Phila went begging back and sweetened the deal.

So let's stop acting like Carolina with Cam and Crew is some crappy job. Every coach knows (and the NY Times reported this with much hyperbole several weeks ago), that the Panthers job, is one of the best in the NFL for a new, competent coach to show immediate, legitimate improvement with. And an OC doesn't even have to win (even in one year). He just has to produce a good offense to get a HC gig. That's why Chud is in Cleveland now as Exhibit A!

1 person likes this

I don't know how anyone can say the Shula promotion was bad, for the life of me. For all we know Cam and Jackson might have not even got a long, Rivera is gone regardless if wins don't come why even add speculation to why you were bad if were bad next year again. Now there is no excuse for the offense to not know what they are doing, essentially.

if we win, we win...but if we fail we still win because then he'll be gone? not sure if that's what your line of thinking is. i kind of got lost after the valid point that cam and jackson might not have gotten along.

but i'm not a fan of thinking that losing is a good thing at any point, and i know that there's probably some that think i want rivera to fail, but that's just not the case. having miniscule faith in rivera to be a successful HC and questioning his decision making skills isn't wanting him to fail. he's here, i want him to succeed.

i don't see next year having another losing year and then rivera getting fired as a bonus. i would see it as proof of yet another failure of this organization and it would piss me off more.

Why should everyone be expected to just line up behind every decision made by the organization?

Well, when your organization is known far and wide for it's foresight and good decision making, I truly feel they should be given the benefit of the doubt in situations like these.

pfffahaha

So the question I have will 9 wins and no playoffs save his job.

if its me answering that question it would be no, I say playoffs or bust

Being okay with it doesn't mean like or agree with it. It is more like the serenity prayer- Grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, the courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference. This falls into the category of accepting the things I can't change instead of bitching about it for months and subjecting all of us to tirades that may or may not be close to the truth come the Fall.

i don't see next year having another losing year and then rivera getting fired as a bonus. i would see it as proof of yet another failure of this organization and it would piss me off more.

If we lose I'm going to be as disappointed as any other losing season. I have faith in everyone on the team right now, the coaching staff, Cam, everyone. I had high expectations this season...we all did. Stakes are even higher next year. Because of the continuity. We want to see the team that got hot at the end of last season, game 1 of next year and there should NOT be ANY reason we cant see that.

If we cant get it done this year everyone is going to be pissed...like always after a poo year.

Why do people keep saying this?

Joseph Person reported that both Hue Jackson and Shurmur wanted the Job.

Obviously Norv Turner, was locked up by Chud already, and is going to Cleveland to be with his son, and because the opportunity was offered to him first before Rivera did. So that's different. And the team didn't pursue Ken Whisenhunt.

Now Remember, there was a report that Bill Cowher was interested in the Carolina job... Jason Laconfora, reported (and said on the air on WFNZ) that Gruden would have came out of retirement for the Panther job....Hot Shot, NY Giants Front Office Whiz Banger, Marc Ross was reported to be DEFINITELY interested in the Panthers GM job he was denied. And after missing out on the Panther spot, Ross cancelled his interview regarding the open Jets GM position in--NY. And many observers believe, Chip Kelly went back to college cause the Carolina job wasn't available and was going through the motions, before Phila went begging back and sweetened the deal.

So let's stop acting like Carolina with Cam and Crew is some crappy job. Every coach knows (and the NY Times reported this with much hyperbole several weeks ago), that the Panthers job, is one of the best in the NFL for a new, competent coach to show immediate, legitimate improvement with. And an OC doesn't even have to win (even in one year). He just has to produce a good offense to get a HC gig. That's why Chud is in Cleveland now as Exhibit A!

While I generally agree that Carolina is a good franchise and that Charlotte is a good place to live, I don't know if this OC job, this time, was that desirable given the need to win right away. Most guys when they take over a job have some time to get things right, in Carolina that isn't the case.

Gettleman on the other hand was given longer than a 1 year window to produce so I think you have to separate the GM job from the OC job instead of lumping it all together like you did. For the GM job it was desirable. For OC not as much.

As for Kelly, you made that up. He said he went back to ponder the decision and say good bye on his own terms. Sure Philly sweetened the pot but I never heard anyone say he went back because the Panthers job was gone. After all it was never available so why would he say he was leaving in the first place.