Photo
- - - - -

Continuity not Capability

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
174 replies to this topic

#25 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

Okay so the Colts hired Luck's old Stanford OC to be their new OC, and guess what the major factor was for the hire, which was stated by the Colts organization.

That's right you guessed it, CONTINUITY..........

#26 FootballMaestro

FootballMaestro

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

Okay so the Colts hired Luck's old Stanford OC to be their new OC, and guess what the major factor was for the hire, which was stated by the Colts organization.

That's right you guessed it, CONTINUITY..........

That part may be true.

But at least he successfully called plays at Stanford.

That's more than what we can currently say for Shula at TB and Bama.

Just saying. :D

#27 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

Blazing Trails Thru the NFC South

HUDDLER

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

John Fox was one if the highest paid coaches in the league when here....look at the cap hell we are in and the contracts he gave.

You can argue some were not smart...but he is NOT cheap.

Not smart with his money in many ways and frugal in the others, both misguided at times. And I'll argue anything I want.

#28 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

HUDDLER

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

That part may be true.

But at least he successfully called plays at Standord.

That's more than what we can currently say for Shula at TB and Bama.

Just saying. :D

Yeah, but am I the only one that's judging Shula only on what he's done since he's been here?

#29 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

HUDDLER

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

Shula was the smartest thing to do. He just keeps the same playbook we've been using and calls plays. He can't be worse at calling plays than Chud

#30 FootballMaestro

FootballMaestro

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

Yeah, but am I the only one that's judging Shula only on what he's done since he's been here?

Not sure what you're saying. Sorry.

What I'm saying is though: I agree, Luck's OC from college is coming due to 'continuity's' sake.

I get that. Shula presents continuity to Cam, which is a good thing. However, He doesn't present any level of recent success (if any) calling plays, as Lucks former college OC did.

That's all I was saying. NO argument. Just agreeing/seeing what you were saying. But also pointing out, that Shula has a poor play calling history, which is what most critics of the move fear in the first place (along with not getting a bigger name/proven success--in comparison--with Jackson).

Hope that helped/clarified?

#31 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

HUDDLER

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

Bigger name/proven success... what a concept!

#32 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

I'd say this has a lot to do with Rivera not wanting to hire somebody who make his seat any warmer as well.

Jackson has HC experience and is expected to be one again someday. Shula was expected to spend the remaining duration of his coaching career as a questionable at best position coach.

Now there's nobody on the staff to burn Rivera off the seat if we start out 1-5 again (quite possible with this coaching staff) and Rivera gets another chance to save his job at seasons end by stringing together another four meaningless win and we get to watch the same teams go to the playoffs again for the next two years.

#33 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

hey guys why don't we just run the ball and ground and pound our way to some sweet 7-9 records for the next 10 years!!

#34 Swaggasaurus

Swaggasaurus

HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Well, we've watched many other QB's young and old, and many of them make the same mistakes to.

Cam's accuracy is not horrible. It's just inconsistent, as Mister Scot said later/after. It was much worse, first half of 2012.

Nontheless, Eli Manning, who's a 2X Superbowl winning QB, overthrows receivers short and deep all the time. As a matter of fact, I would actually compare Cam's throwing--as similar to what Eli's is now (as far as his abilities, throws and inconsistencies). So that's not a bad thing, during his 2nd year. Eli was much worse at the same stage.

I think a better offensive line, and less READ Option play calling will help Cam with his accuracy next year. Doesn't mean he'll be perfect. But it should be an improvement. I also think, if the Panthers had taller receivers (or ones that could post up and fight for or comeback to the ball), that would help Cam's accuracy-consistency as well, especially throwing to the end zone. Plus, we gotta remember, some poor looking throws, can also be due to pressure or shortened or broken WR routes. That has happened as well, whether acknowledged by the TV analyst or not.

Cam definitely has to work at his craft, and be aware of succumbing to any bad habits. But he would certainly appear better with proper play action , more time/i.e. a better offensive line.

Thanks for your comments/feedback.

Oh I agree Cam will get better with more protection and less option. My only premise for posting in this thread was that running a power run or "simple" as some have stated offense with Cams big arm with PA shots down the field will give us the best option to win.

#35 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

been an average at best positional coach who made class time lots of fun and now has to pull double duty in a job he has had no success in and was never expected to garner any interest anywhere ever again by any competenty run franchise and now we get to watch Cam's mediocre footwork regress because his positional coach cant work with him because he's too busy trying to learn the offense we run

Continuity ftw brah.

#36 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

HUDDLER

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

Cam's accuracy is still horrible, I am far from being anti Cam, but the guy struggles to hit RBs on screens, overthrows intermediate routes, and leads his receivers out of bounds when throwing deep towards the sidelines. You can score on the ground, we do more than we pass for scores.

Sounds like he's had a pretty shitty QB coach.