• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#31 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,171 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

So when coaches are replaced, and the new ones come in and do much better than previous staffs with essentially the same set of players, it's all luck?

Coaching matters a lot. The only time it doesn't is when people are forced to defend mediocre ones, apparently.

preach it.

#32 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,953 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

So when coaches are replaced, and the new ones come in and do much better than previous staffs with essentially the same set of players, it's all luck?

In how this applies to Shula and Steckel, yes Steckel had a lot of the same players, with one glaring exception. he had a different QB.

And yes a QB can make all the difference in the world. The Panthers have essentially the same set of players they had in 2010 when they were historically bad, but with one major exception.

Chief Towelonhead

Posted Image

#33 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

If the OP is correct and he wasn't really bad in Tampa, why did it take 13 years for an NFL team to give him another shot?

Shulamagic?

#34 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,171 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

If the OP is correct and he wasn't really bad in Tampa, why did it take 13 years for an NFL team to give him another shot?

good question.

waiting for the excuses.

#35 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

In the case of Shula and Steckel, yes Steckel had a lot of the same players, with one glaring exception. he had a different QB.

And yes a QB can make all the difference in the world. The Panthers have essentially the same set of players they had in 2010, but with one major exception.

Chief Towel-on-head

Posted Image

You have to be kidding me. Your entire support is based on the "Yeah, you have a point, but THIS time it's different." argument?

31 other teams in the league have changed offensive coordinators many times in the past 13 years. If it truly was different for Shula, do you think that maybe one of those openings may have gone to him?

Cam should make a big difference, but there's only so much one player can do. And if he does make Shula look competent, what do you think he would have been able to do with an OC who's actually really good?

#36 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,302 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

Well, he elected to go to college to essentially take a dream job. That accounts for a chunk.

#37 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,953 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Actually there hasn't been a single year he has been out of work. He is so inept about offenses that he has stayed employed constantly by NFL teams. I can only imagine that it is due on how terrible an offensive mind he is and how little respect he has around the league.

#38 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Well, he elected to go to college to essentially take a dream job. That accounts for four years, leaving nine where no one would consider him as a viable OC candidate.

Fixed that for ya. :)

#39 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,953 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

You have to be kidding me. Your entire support is based on the "Yeah, you have a point, but THIS time it's different." argument?

I haven't said I think Shula is going to be the greatest OC ever the way many of you have already declaring him a bust in Carolina before he has coached a game.

But having said that, it is different. Different situation, different QB, different playbook, etc.

Was Belichek's experience different in New England than it was in Cleveland?? i wonder if Kraft thought, "yeah he stunk in Cleveland but THIS time it's different"

#40 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,573 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

obviously our FO (who i often disagree with) saw something they liked in him.

what?

#41 CollegePanther

CollegePanther

President

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

what?

I often disagree with our front office.

#42 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

I haven't said I think Shula is going to be the greatest OC ever the way many of you have already declaring him a bust in Carolina before he has coached a game.

But having said that, it is different. Different situation, different QB, different playbook, etc.

Was Belichek's experience different in New England than it was in Cleveland?? i wonder if Kraft thought, "yeah he stunk in Cleveland but THIS time it's different"

I don't think he's necessarily going to be a bust. But that doesn't mean he was a good hire. I think at best he's a mediocre OC who happens to have some very strong offensive talent on his squad. And we had an opportunity to take that talent and pair it with a very strong and proven offensive mind. Instead we made the most conservative call possible.

To compare it to a game, it was fourth and a foot late in the game at midfield, and we punted.

Was Shula your first choice?

#43 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,573 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

I often disagree with our front office.

right. 2 statements in that sentence that contradict each other.. ;)

#44 Sloth

Sloth

idk

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Actually there hasn't been a single year he has been out of work.

As a QB coach.

How many offers to run an offense? Before the Carolina "Island of Misfit Toys" Panthers came knocking?

#45 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,340 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

You know, there's a reason that complicated offenses don't have a stellar postseason record: when the games get tight execution becomes far more important than subtlety. If this teams plays a bit conservatively but Cam can execute his decisions quickly and improvise when the situation calls for it, we might fare better than trying to over complicate things like Chud did earlier in the year.

This team has to be able to win their fair share of plays with no trickery involved before it can try to get cute; that's one problem that Chud had, in winning the exotic plays and losing the consistent ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com