70 replies to this topic

#61 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,337 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

true, this is why i thought all those that wanted Chud gone where freaking idiots, name another Panthers OC that put together back to back top 10 offenses(I know the panthers finished 12th on the season but they were 60 total yards away from 7th in total offense for the season)

I always go by drive statistics rather than total yardage or PPG and we were top 10 in Yards per Drive and Top 10 in TDs per drive. We were 12th in Points per drive.

So for the record, whenever I say we were a top 10 offense in 2012 that is what I am referring to.

#62 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,495 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

http://www.charlotte...-promotion.html

Cam seems to agree with the shula hire

Did you read the article? No where did it say anything about what Cam thought of the promotion. Not one word.

#63 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,205 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:11 AM

Did you read the article? No where did it say anything about what Cam thought of the promotion. Not one word.

Unfortunately, it comes across as a lot of "this will be for your own good!"

Hopefully, Cam is happy with the hire, but we won't know until next season starts. . .

#64 Udogg

Udogg

Cardiac Victim since 95

• HUDDLER
  • 3,251 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:06 AM

I don't think he's necessarily going to be a bust. But that doesn't mean he was a good hire. I think at best he's a mediocre OC who happens to have some very strong offensive talent on his squad. And we had an opportunity to take that talent and pair it with a very strong and proven offensive mind. Instead we made the most conservative call possible.

To compare it to a game, it was fourth and a foot late in the game at midfield, and we punted.

Was Shula your first choice?

Not for or against but why does he have to be at best mediocre?

#65 beastson

beastson

Big Money

• HUDDLER
  • 9,197 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:13 AM

Panther fans have a right to be mad. Don't try to tell us this is chicken salad. We know it's chicken poo. The most concerning part is if it doesn't work out then we are hiring a new coach and giving him a year to figure things out...we could go 6-7 years(since 2008) without playoffs before the staff is built into a competitive nucleus. I'm fugging tired of waiting. I have an unhealthy lifestyle, If I'm lucky the good lord will grant me 15-20 years. I want to die happy dammit. I need to see my Panthers win a Super Bowl.

Idk why lol

#66 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:27 AM

Yes, listen to the knuckle heads who have never seen a game called by Shula. They done their interweb research!

#67 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,337 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

Yes, listen to the knuckle heads who have never seen a game called by Shula. They done their interweb research!

I don't know if this is directed at me, but one of my best friends that I used to watch football with on Sundays was a big Tampa Bay fan and my father is an Auburn alumni and a huge SEC fan.

Point being I was somewhat familiar with Shula in Tampa and was very familiar with him at Bama.

And I said this in a another thread, but it applies here too. What Tampa fans think about Shula doesn't mean a whole lot to me, because 90% of the football watching world think that their OC is terrible and their back up QB is awesome.

#68 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

Not for or against but why does he have to be at best mediocre?

He doesn't HAVE to be, but my OPINION is that the kindest description you can give his performance as an OC or HC to date is mediocre. Feel free to disagree, all I'm judging him on is what he has done when given the opportunity before.

#69 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,638 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

He doesn't HAVE to be, but my OPINION is that the kindest description you can give his performance as an OC or HC to date is mediocre. Feel free to disagree, all I'm judging him on is what he has done when given the opportunity before.

And how were you as an executive 12 years ago if you even were one?? Learn anything since? Do anything different? Now imagine for the past 2 years you were with a company that had a very creative innovative business system and you were tutored and integral to building it. You get a promotion and are ready to pour your heart and soul in it. All anyone wants to do is go back to how you were 12 years ago.

What do you think would be a better comparison? What you did now or what you did then??

#70 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

If I sucked at programming a decade ago, and was demoted to data work for the past 10 years while I watched other programmers write code, I might be better at writing code. But that doesn't mean I would be any better at figuring out the best algorithms in that code.

I've got a guy working for me right now who's about as good as it gets as far as syntax is concerned. He's got a doctorate in information systems. He's got all kinds of accomplishments to suggest he would be ready to write code again. And my best TA thought he was a junior developer based on the code he had seen, because he consistently takes what we feel is the wrong approach to solving problems. Frankly, as a programmer he sucks, although he knows every class and method in our application forwards and backwards.

Shula probably knows a lot more plays he can call now than he did 12 years ago. That doesn't mean he's gotten any smarter about when to use them. That skill isn't something you magically gain by working in a junior position for 13 years. So he's probably going to still suck.

After all, if all you needed to do to overcome a lack of skill was to go back and be a position coach for a decade, then the NFL landscape would be littered with people who fit that profile. And it isn't.

#71 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,205 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

If I sucked at programming a decade ago, and was demoted to data work for the past 10 years while I watched other programmers write code, I might be better at writing code. But that doesn't mean I would be any better at figuring out the best algorithms in that code.

I've got a guy working for me right now who's about as good as it gets as far as syntax is concerned. He's got a doctorate in information systems. He's got all kinds of accomplishments to suggest he would be ready to write code again. And my best TA thought he was a junior developer based on the code he had seen, because he consistently takes what we feel is the wrong approach to solving problems. Frankly, as a programmer he sucks, although he knows every class and method in our application forwards and backwards.

Shula probably knows a lot more plays he can call now than he did 12 years ago. That doesn't mean he's gotten any smarter about when to use them. That skill isn't something you magically gain by working in a junior position for 13 years. So he's probably going to still suck.

After all, if all you needed to do to overcome a lack of skill was to go back and be a position coach for a decade, then the NFL landscape would be littered with people who fit that profile. And it isn't.

/programmer fist bump

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com